ad: Schulman-1

Ham radio operator looses hand and fingers in tower accident.

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by M1WML, Feb 15, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
  1. K0YQ

K0YQ Ham Member QRZ Page

Very sad accident and my thoughts are with the op and his family.

2. N4FZ

N4FZ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Very sad indeed, such a tragedy! :( My thoughts and prayers are with Bearpaw and his Family. This sadly, is another reminder that SAFETY is #1, don't take chances with your life or limbs.

3. KB2FCV

KB2FCV Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm glad to hear he's home and hopefully he'll be on the air soon.

An unfortunate, but preventable accident.. if anything good comes out of this hopefully others might think twice about climbing a crank-up tower and choose not to do it. Safety comes first.

4. N2EY

N2EY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

There's actually a question on the Technician exam about not climbing a crankup tower unless it is in the fully nested condition.

5. W8VIJ

W8VIJ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I was thinking the same thing. Not much thought given here. :confused:

6. N2EY

N2EY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Or worse, suing the concrete company for making the concrete so hard.

Agreed.

So....how do we protect against disasters like this in the future?

7. W4PG

W4PG QRZ Lifetime Member #279 Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

That's even better!! Good one!

First off, sorry about my diatribe above. It really was off-topic to some extent.

Education is key, but not even that will suffice 100% of the time. When I purchased my crank-up, there were all sorts of warnings re: climbing the tower. I quickly learned about crank-ups and the serious problem that can happen should the cable break and one is climbing it. But, what if I had purchased it 2nd hand from someone who shipped it across the country to me and I didn't have all the docs. Assume I knew very little about towers. Out of ignorance I might have injured myself if I went climbing, hypothetically. I am personally a responsible person (I think) and I spend a great deal of time educating myself about things I know little about in order to protect myself.

I hope one day we can learn exactly what was going on in this case in order to help answer your question. Did the tower somehow get stuck and he just HAD to have it working for some reason and chose to climb it, knowing the risks?? Or, did he know nothing about the potential dangers and it never occurred to him there was any risk??

The reality is long as there are humans, we will make mistakes like this even when we know better. I seem to remember an article in QST where the author specifically engaged in defeating safety mechanisms to prevent potential deadly electric shock in order to describe his modification of an amplifier. :)

As hard as we try, we simply can't prevent all ignorance and will never stop stupidity.

"Hold my beer for a minute and watch this!!" ;)

8. AD0EC

AD0EC Ham Member QRZ Page

Wow..what a terrible accident. Sounds like he is already on the mend and back on the air. That's great news.

9. W7UUU

W7UUU Director, QRZ Forums Lifetime Member 133 QRZ HQ Staff Life Member QRZ Page

I went to Hallmark this afternoon and picked out an uplifting card for Bearpaw and
    mailed it off to him. I think it would be a really nice thing if everyone in this thread
    did the same and just give him words of encouragement.

And we can all count on the fact that he's probably "flaming himself" for his horrible
    mistake more than any of us ever could. Long after this thread is closed he'll still
    be living with every minute detail of what happened.

It's a little hard to pick out cards - A) he's a stranger and B)'Get well soon' isn't
    very appropriate. I found one that was themed along the "spring and sunshine
    are coming soon" concept.

It might really cheer him up to get cards from us, with a QSL inside even.

Dave
    W7UUU

N7ANN likes this.
  10. KF1C

KF1C Ham Member QRZ Page

Telescoping Tower

Lets not criticize others, its very easy to after something bad happens.
    We have no idea what happened, how he had it braced/locked etc.
    His bracing may have failed OR
    He may have forgotten to lock the sections together.

LIKE I DID!!

The one time you forget and the cable, winch, whatever it breaks. You brace it a hundred times and it won't break.
    It was the winch in my case.
    I was lucky, 3 fingers on my left hand were crushed between the tower sections when it came down.
    It is one of my truly close calls and it scares me every time I think of it. I could have lost both my hands. It is why I use
    several jack stands when going under cars. Use 2 straps on every tie down, double lines when only one is needed. A defining moment
    in my life when it comes to steel and things that can hurt you.
    My fingers hurt for years.
    I was 19 years old at the time, I'm in my fifties now and have all 10 fingers and I'm not climbing anything but stairs.

11. W7UUU

W7UUU Director, QRZ Forums Lifetime Member 133 QRZ HQ Staff Life Member QRZ Page

Indeed. Anyone here who has never done something really stupid that could have injured you or ended your life, you're lying :)

Dave
    W7UUU

N7ANN likes this.
  12. W6UDO

W6UDO Ham Member QRZ Page

Real nice thought, Dave. I think if we all here did that it would go a long way to healing Bearpaw's spirits, as well as his physical injuries. After all, ham radio is a fraternity...we're all brothers and sisters here. Jaw jackin' about how we would have done it differently or sued whomever does little good...(not to mention smart butt remarks about 'one less CW op'. Pretty sick!).
    Glad to read you're back on the repeater already, Bearpaw!! Hope I catch you on the bands soon!! Heal up quick!
    Very 73....Joe, Crooked River Ranch, OR

13. W7MSE

W7MSE Ham Member QRZ Page

Sorry,
    I only know what was reported on our Tuesday night net. I personally do not know the details. There will probably be more updates on the 7:00 AM KABARA net if you have access to a participating repeater in the Gig Harbor area. If I hear more I will post.
    Robin

14. WA7PRC

WA7PRC Ham Member QRZ Page

Steve Morris K7LXC has been a tower builder for > 30 years and is author of Up The Tower: The Complete Guide To Tower Construction. He's also moderator of the TowerTalk email reflector. The "K7LXC Prime Directive" says it all:

• DO what the tower manufacturer says to do.
    • DON'T do what the tower manufacturer says to not do.
    Extrapolating, if the tower manufacturer doesn't say it's OK to do, assume it is not OK to do.

My UST TX-472 lattice telescoping tower came with the "raising fixture" that allows me to tilt the nested tower. It allows me to work on any part of my tower/antenna system with both feet on terra firma. If the tower didn't come with the raising fixture, I would've purchased it separately.[HR][/HR]
    My sympathies go to Bearpaw and his family.

15. AA5IT

AA5IT Ham Member QRZ Page

Ahh, I see. Thanks for updating me.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.