ad: UR5CDX-1

Ham Radio in Europe - A detailed situation report

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by DL2ART, May 7, 2022.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. DL2ART

DL2ART Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

The german YouTube channel Funkwelle published a detailed situation report about Amateur Radio in Europe. In the video you will find the following informations:
    • The total number of Hams in each country
    • Radio amateurs in relation to inhabitants and area
    • The development of the last 50 years in several countries
    • The license classes in Europe
    • The minimum and maximum power useable in each class
    • The amount questions you need to learn for an exam
    • The exam questions and number of correct answers
    • The amount of money you have to pay for the exam and 10 years of ham radio
    • The size of the national IARU associations in Europe

Although Funkwelle reseached several month for this video, some data may be outdated. If you have any corrections or additions, feel free to comment below the video. Finally sharing the video is appreaciated.

DL4AD, KI7PMQ, KK7LV and 12 others like this.
  2. DO1FER

DO1FER Ham Member QRZ Page

The video is really nice, but just the half of the truth. In cause of the german data, here is a long history behind the curves of active operators. Its ups and downs since the 1970s. Every decivise move of all the curves, which were shown in this clip, got a good / bad reason. So the history to tell about, is to long at that place to explain. At next the problem with new youngsters for the hobby stays since a long time. So extinction in some places or kind of the hobby knocks on the door and should be taken seriously. At next the exams are different from country to country. And the difference in Germany between the two classes are just 20 questions in the technical part. The rest is the same. So normaly every sum and curve got to be explained in the clip. And the abormal moves of the numbers in the membership of operators in the associations, got historical reasons too.

DL3SC, NK8I and DL4QB like this.
  3. G8FXC

G8FXC XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Would be interesting, but I'm afraid that my German is not up to it - I can just about manage to order a beer and a sandwich, but this is far beyond me!

Martin (G8FXC)

G6BHB, G7KTP, AI8O and 2 others like this.
  4. VK2JI

VK2JI Ham Member QRZ Page

The number of amateurs in the UK/GB may be somewhat inflated as those who go through the three-level system - Foundation, Intermediate and Full licence tend to keep their earlier licences(call signs) as there is no annual fee for the licence.

Using the higher number of "apparent" amateurs in the UK, makes the percentage of hams in the national society incorrect as each member has only one membership in the national society (RSGB) but can hold up to three licences.

73 Ed DD5LP/VK2JI/G8GLM.

Last edited: May 8, 2022
    M0MNE likes this.
  5. DL4QB

DL4QB QRZ Lifetime Member #719 Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

If you post in an international Forum, would be great to see that Video also in english language.
    But i´m pretty sure you will earn some more clicks now.

G7KTP, KN4USA, DG7AC and 2 others like this.
  6. DL2ART

Of course every chart in this video is a result of the past. But the intention of the video is not to tell the past. The intention of the video is to show the actual situation and compare this situation with other european countries. And I can't see where I did not tell the truth in showing the actual situation.

Sorry, but I don't really understand this part of your post. I guess you want to talk about the future development of ham radio. If so, then again it is just the intention to show the actual situation. I don't make predictions for the future and I don't give any advise how to get more people into ham radio. And again I can't see where I did not tell the truth.

Again I don't understand you. This is exactly what I show in my video. The exams are different in each country and I show these differences clearly.

Sadly this is completely wrong! The technical part of the two exams in Germany are very different. For the first class A you have to learn from a pool of 1061 questions, while the pool of the second class E has only 377 questions to learn from. About 1/4 of the questions are similar. In the exam for A you have to answer 51 technical questions, while you only have to answer 34 for the lower class E. And when you upgrade from E to A you have to do the complete technical part for class A. So you have to answer 51 questions and not only 20. Furthermore about 3/4 of these questions are completely new and much harder then the questions for class E.

Again: This is no history lesson! I just show the actual situation.

7. DL2ART

Thanks for this addition. As far I know my data shows the operators in each license class, not just the callsigns in each class. But I will verify my sources.

DL8GE likes this.
  8. DL2ART

I fully understand you, but the charts in the video are pretty self-explanatory.

The Funkwelle YouTube channel is a german only channel and there will be no english videos. However the informations in this video are surely interesting for hams from all over Europe. So sharing them, even in the wrong language, is better then now sharing such informations.

DK2JEQ and KA0HCP like this.
  9. GW6CZE

GW6CZE Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes the UK system is now a total farce

10. DR4G

DR4G Ham Member QRZ Page

Arthur,
    thank you and congratulations for this very interesting overview. It was a lot of work - great job.
    Alfred

11. DG7RF

DG7RF Ham Member QRZ Page

The statistics show once again the high requitements in terms of testing, costs and bueraucracy in Germany. Other do better. Thanks Arthur

DG7RF

12. N3HQN

N3HQN Ham Member QRZ Page

I would love to know this info but, it looks like I need to spend a year or so to Sprechen Deutsch.

13. KW0U

KW0U Ham Member QRZ Page

Excellent and interesting. Thank you for your big effort!

14. DO1FER

Sorry to read, that you dont understand the past. But here is the key to the future. And when you take a look on the overaged community in Germany, you will find that their intrests are not for the future. Stay and hold the situation, thats all what happen. Or did you saw any development? What is the difference of RTTY digimodes in the 90s to now? Maybe a modem with a cat inferface. And that in the end of the 70s there was a run from the 11M band to hamradio, is the past too. Think about why! It caused by the people and their behave. Find now the fault. Right, 11M band is clean, and this scene went around the millenium change to the internet. Did hamradio got a change like this? It hasnt and it stays there where it is. And when I hear that there was an event to show what hamradio really is, and the audience began to give their names with CW and laugh about, then your are on the wrong way. The audience got fun for a while, and not more. Maybe the audience laugh about the organizer too, because the people just see the past and no future for the hobby. That there is much more to show, is often a "secret". The people want to see whats really going on. And when the F7W / 4 FSK is embarrassing to show, because everybody could get worldwide, then its over. Or is it embarrasing too, when the latest solar forecast is on Youtube? So you see that this were just two examples, and not a history lesson. The history is that, was often is put into practice and why people get a step away. Of course this wasnt the major topic to your video, but its a partly the summary to the numbers and curves you show. And thats why I just gave a little kick to think about the figures you showed. Every data got to be interpreted well.

HB9AIJ and M0MNE like this.
  15. DO1FER