ad: hrd-2

"Ham Radio for Dummies" - Released!

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by N0AX, Apr 12, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: l-BCInc
ad: L-MFJ
  1. Guest

Guest Guest

Read the book...

Good for a beginner that is interested in getting started...

not for reference at all....

2. Guest

Guest Guest

Hello, folks- This is my first post on the QRZ boards. The ink is barely dry on my ticket- I just got my callsign on Friday! (KE5BGS)

I was very surprised that there hadn't been a 'Dummies' book for Amateur Radio enthusiasts published yet- but the timing couldn't be better for a newbie like me. I came into the hobby 'sideways'- I am a USAF veteran and former wideband tech- so the electronics on the tech test was a snooze for me. It wasn't difficult to learn the FCC rules stuff- and most of it was common sense (for a former HF operator like me) so passing the test was easy.

Now comes the tough part- assimilating the culture, and trying to be a well-mannered newcomer to the hobby. Reading the various websites and boards has been helpful, but it's hard to curl up on the couch with the Internet. (I'm working on it, but a DLP HDTV is a ways down the list...)

I do not yet have any radio gear yet (my wind-up Grundig shortwave really doesn't count, does it?), but I made my first hobby purchase today: that Dummies book, which, by the way, was the last copy at the local BAM bookstore.

As a PC Support tech, I have several dozen of the Dummies books for my profession, plus several more for my other hobbies- sewing, my microscopic business, my desktop publishing and website building hobbies. Every one of them has been quite useful. Sure, they might look rather garish on the bookshelves next to my O'Reilly manuals and even more garish site design books, but it's the contents that count!

Heck- the book is worth the 'cheat sheet' of frequency references and emergency channels and offsets alone! I'm going to laminate that thing and peg it to the wall in my future 'shack'.

My only gripe about the book (so far) is that it didn't include a CD to learn Morse Code, which I want to do. I think that it should be preserved as an artform, as well as an excellent communications tool that gets through almost any noise. (Any suggestions for training tools? I no longer own a cassette deck, so it needs to be on CD&#33[​IMG]

But since I am such a wet-inked newbie, I'll be happy to serve as the measuring stick and reviewer for this book. Fair 'nuff?

Lorie (AKA "Sunfell" everywhere else)
    KE5BGS

3. KF4VGX

KF4VGX Ham Member QRZ Page

[​IMG] Send a copy to all people who say ( Call sign ) for ID etc.

4. KL7FZ

KL7FZ Ham Member QRZ Page

DARN! THAT'S IT!!!!!!!
     "Morse Code for Dummies"!!!

Or maybe.... a new speak and spell type toy by Fisher-Price.   "A"  Dit-Dah.   "A" is for Apple. Dit-Dah. Can you say "Dit-Dah?". See Dick jump up for the Aaaaapple. Dit-Dah.
     Kindergarten level code.

For the new amateur radio entry-level license.

Wonder if I can get it to the publishers/manufacturers before someone else?

KL7FZ

5. N6DHZ

N6DHZ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Some of you might want to read another of Ward's writtings. I'm sure the some of the people posting here prompted him to write GOTW

73 DE N6DHZ

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.