ad: LZQSLprint-1

"Ham Radio for Dummies" - Released!

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by N0AX, Apr 12, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
  1. N0AX

N0AX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Every new ham has the "What do I do now?" feeling after passing the exam. Similarly, how can a prospective ham find out about the great things ham radio has to offer and how to participate? Addressing these issues is why I wrote "Ham Radio for Dummies", available on April 12th. The book is designed to make ham radio easier to understand whether you have a license or not. (Its ISDN number is 0-7645-5987-7.)

There are 384 pages of explanations, tables, graphics, photos, and links to on-line resources. It can be read from cover to cover or used as a "get in, get out" desk reference. My goal was to produce the book I wish I'd had when I was just starting out - a Desktop Elmer, so to speak.

If you're interested, just enter the title into a Web search engine and find your favorite bookseller. The Wiley site has a sample chapter to browse, as well as a Bonus Content link to a detailed guide to operating a radio that would be a good review for many hams.

I hope the book will help us attract more people to ham radio and also help those that have passed the exam stay active in the hobby.

73, Ward N0AX

2. AC5MG

AC5MG XML Subscriber QRZ Page

This is fantastic! Did an ISBN lookup on Barnes and Noble and they have it listed. It was not available on the .com site but I am going to call my local BN and have them get one for me. This will be a great reference for the question we all get way too often: "Ham radio, what's that?". Thanks for grinding that one out! Can't wait to read it.

73! de K5VPQ

3. Guest

Guest Guest

FINALLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! A "For Dummies" title for Amateur Radio

(took them long enough)

And of course, it comes out NOW that I've already got my license [​IMG] then again, we can always learn something new [​IMG]

Do your communities, and the Hobby, a favor: ask your local Libraries to carry it. I work at the local Public Library and it's been our experience that, every time a new "For Dummies" book comes out, people ALWAYS check them out.

And if anyone out there is from DM33 (Phoenix, AZ) the Library there has already ordered it. [​IMG]

4. WF7I

WF7I Ham Member QRZ Page

Great idea! I will look for it at my B&N bookstore. I often wondered why there wasn't a "dummies" book for our hobby. Now there is.

5. w5rip

w5rip Guest

WOW this is neat a must for new hams and old hams

6. K6UEY

K6UEY Ham Member QRZ Page

By all current appearances the time was ripe !! Possibly a follow on edition on how to pass the test for those who find the entry level test "Too Hard".

7. K6IRP

K6IRP Ham Member QRZ Page

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (K6UEY @ April 13 2004,12:37)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">By all current appearances the time was ripe !! Possibly a follow on edition on how to pass the test for those who find the entry level test "Too Hard".[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Exactly right! Great book, we'll need more like this in the future-----------the arrl sold us out----Chris

8. KL7FZ/SK2022

KL7FZ/SK2022 Ham Member QRZ Page

Not long ago, some of the locals here discussed doing that very same publication.
    Good job, and it's is great to see someone took the initiative to get it done.

Now... about the sequel.
    "Ham Radio for Bubbas"

But all this does beg the question..."Do we really need more Dummies in Amateur Radio?"

I thought that was the purpose of the new licensing proposals.  

I hope it has real large easy to read print, 3rd grade reading level language, colorful illustrations with little animals, and neat popups between the pages.

And all this time I thought Amateurs Handbook was ham radio for dummies. Silly me.  

Whoops! I forgot about "Now You're Talking". Wasn't that for dummies also?

Anyhow, I am glad some one is going to make something off the idea. Get the profit now, reinvest, and then you can go on to something that will have some technical merit after Amateur Radio has degenerated into dummydom.

Maybe that should be the name for the new entry level license class "Dummy".

Watch for my new publication "Tying Shoelaces for Dummies"   [​IMG]

KL7FZ

9. W6SN

W6SN Ham Member QRZ Page

You know.. it's really depressing when the same group of folks keep popping up and attack ham radio, be it dropping CW, or restructuring, or us getting some new small allocation. It seems the same group of people just like to speak negatively about everything. Why don't you guys grow up. It does nothing to help the hobby, and only portrays you as egotistical people who want nothing to do with the "everday" person. Not to mention it detracts from the reading quality of this forum.

Kudos to the publishers for finally publishing a "For Dummies" book on amateur radio.

73 de W6SN

10. WM5L

WM5L XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I think you should ask youreself why are you a dummy if you passed the test. Was the test dummed down so much you (a dummy) could pass it or did you just memorize the questions and awnsers online? Someone needs to publish a book called Morse code for lazy people (dummies) but I guess that would'nt sell very many copies nowadays would it?......Jim

11. KD7WHQ

KD7WHQ QRZ Member QRZ Page

It's a marketing title, and that's all guys.. C'mon.

If it is a real resource, as are other in the series, for people that don't know, fine in my book.

As to "Now You're Talking," I saw nothing wrong with it at all. I didn't use it to get my ticket as I had the "ham experience" and the electronics, but my YL did.

Comprehensive enough to pass, and it was worded in a way that might spark an interest in further study. I suspect that the idea was that once someone gained access to the service, that others would answer questions, and other sources would be sought out. Might be me.

Don't knock the book until you actually read it though..

12. KF4GLG

KF4GLG Ham Member QRZ Page

[​IMG] The ARRL has assured the success of this book! Everything is finally falling into place. Your licence will come in the box with the rig, oops, radio, and if you want to learn anything at all about the hobby pick up a copy of "Ham Radio for Dummies". We surely wouldn't want it any other way now, would we! [​IMG]

13. Guest

Guest Guest

Re: Ham Radio for Dummies book...

As Martha would say: "It's a Good Thing!"

[​IMG]

14. AJ3U

AJ3U Ham Member QRZ Page

Someone responded to this article with, "took them long enough".

Hey, publishers don't write books - everyday, ordinary PEOPLE do!  It is everyone's job to foster interest in Amateur Radio.  Don't expect the other guy to do it all! [​IMG]

Great job, Ward.  This is exactly the type of thing that Amateur Radio needs to keep it alive and hopefully bring in the younger folk.  If you make a buck off of it (and I'm sure you will) that's great and there is nothing wrong with that.  It is what makes this country great!

Thanks and 73!

A.J. Farmer, AJ3U
    http://www.aj3u.com

15. N4WSP

N4WSP Ham Member QRZ Page

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (KL7FZ @ April 13 2004,14:59)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Not long ago, some of the locals here discussed doing that very same publication.
    Good job, and it's is great to see someone took the initiative to get it done.

Now... about the sequel.
    "Ham Radio for Bubbas"

But all this does beg the question..."Do we really need more Dummies in Amateur Radio?"

I thought that was the purpose of the new licensing proposals.  

I hope it has real large easy to read print, 3rd grade reading level language, colorful illustrations with little animals, and neat popups between the pages.

And all this time I thought Amateurs Handbook was ham radio for dummies. Silly me.  

Whoops! I forgot about "Now You're Talking". Wasn't that for dummies also?

Anyhow, I am glad some one is going to make something off the idea. Get the profit now, reinvest, and then you can go on to something that will have some technical merit after Amateur Radio has degenerated into dummydom.

Maybe that should be the name for the new entry level license class "Dummy".

Watch for my new publication "Tying Shoelaces for Dummies"   [​IMG]

KL7FZ[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    What we need in ham radio is not so many smart a#%*+ [​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.