ad: vanity

Ham Radio - Call sign piracy. It's happened to me.

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KB7TBT, Dec 3, 2019 at 8:08 PM.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
  1. KB7TBT

KB7TBT Ham Member QRZ Page

Ham Radio - Call sign piracy. It's happened to me.

2. F5ROW

F5ROW Ham Member QRZ Page

Bravo pour votre réaction. 73. from Normandy.

3. KA2IRQ

KA2IRQ Ham Member QRZ Page

This is the correct response and the correct attitude. Refreshing.

4. KD8DEY

KD8DEY Ham Member QRZ Page

I Don't think anybody would want to impersonate me....
    Ymmv

US7IGN and W1TRY like this.
  5. KG4ZAR

KG4ZAR Ham Member QRZ Page

Kevin thanks for the video and the well thought out response. While I admit to prescribing to the capital punishment school of thought most of the time there are occasions like this that call for a measured and firm but friendlier approach. Let's hope the young man chooses to follow the proper pathway and becomes a productive member of the amateur community.
    Let's also hope his actions are not due to the influence of the CERT leadership.
    Larry KG4ZAR

6. K7KQ

K7KQ Ham Member QRZ Page

It happened to me too. Another ham used my call for about 10 years. I don't want to share details here, so I sent a message to your QRZ e-mail address. Scott

7. KM1H

KM1H Ham Member QRZ Page

Ive had my call pirated many times in the past on CW and working US and DX stations. It could have just been someone adding or subtracting a dit and coming out as H or deliberate meanness as I was very active in contests and DX chasing. Quite a few QSL's came thru the bureau and were returned as N I L

I only heard it once after a phone call and responded to a CQ with one of my old calls......Trolls here get ready to pounce....and then proceeded to lure into a trap while getting the tape recorder set up.....that alone dates it as ancient history. Finally I used my real name and call with an ending blast and resultant silence.

Havent heard anything since but Im no longer active in contests and DXing is minimal.

Carl

8. KF5LJW

KF5LJW Ham Member QRZ Page

I was a John Banner fan. To bad h
    I am a John Banner fan. Sad he passed away just two short years after HH was canceled. At least he went from natural causes unlike Bob Crane had his brains beat out of him.

9. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Callsign piracy is a major violation of Part 97 with stiff financial penalties--this is independent (and thus concurrent)from additional felony charges for identity theft that may be state-law related.

IOW, do NOT take the law in your own hands. This is serious stuff.

The mechanism to use is to file a formal complaint with the FCC. This will turn on targetted monitoring activity, through the VM's and otherwise, which can make the case for Federal charges against the individual. Illegal use of a station license identification is 'actionable' by the FCC.

The FCC is heading into major 'zero-tolerance' territory on things that were commonplace for many years-- albeit highly illegal. You know what 'frequencies' I am referring to:) And the repeaters , for example, are now on the agenda to be scoped by the VM's as follow up to complaints.

Chip W1YW

Last edited: Dec 5, 2019 at 11:19 AM
  10. N4RRR

N4RRR XML Subscriber QRZ Page

W1YW,

Will the FCC start going after those wide, dirty, unfiltered, amplifiers on the HF sections? Especially 40m and 80m?

We have done the police our own, but their attitude is "what are you going to do about it" is all we get.

N4RRR