ad: M2Ant-1

Ham Radio - An end fed folded dipole experiment, part 2. Testing and the verdict.

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KB7TBT, Jul 12, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
  1. KB7TBT

KB7TBT Ham Member QRZ Page

Ham Radio - An end fed folded dipole experiment, part 2. Testing and the verdict.

2. W4XA

W4XA Ham Member QRZ Page

Howdy,

I really want to to say this as respectfully as possible, but, for some of us (with an EE background) both videos were rather painful..... The concepts you were "experimenting" with (because of the questioning of what could be called accepted and already proved "theory") literally "flew in the face" of P.H. Smith (the inventor of the "Smith Chart")

He didn't really "invent" the theory, he just came up with a simple very easy to use graphical representation of the actual (already proved) theory. Every Student of Electrical Engineering gets an entry course (plus lab) in electromagnetics that includes some fairly simple proofs.......one of which happens to be shorted and open transmission line stub matching in antenna systems and all the characteristics of those various length sections of transmission lines (twin-lead, coax, and waveguides etc... when terminated, shorted, and open)

I don't do instructional videos. But if I could offer some constructive criticism, simply changing the the narrative at the beginning of your first video to, for example, "This is an example of an experiment to show what various lengths of transmission line will do if treated like an antenna when open, shorted, or terminated with a varying resistance"....... would have likely eliminated the bulk of the criticism.

Seriously referring to a shorted (or open for that matter) transmission line as an antenna from the get-go made a LOT of us with EE backgrounds "cringe" ......

Just saying,

73/Rick
    K7MYR

Last edited: Jul 12, 2019
    WN1MB likes this.
  3. W4XA

W4XA Ham Member QRZ Page

Also, since I cannot now edit my original post above, anywhere I referred to "you", I of course meant the Author of the Youtube video and NOT and not KB7TBT above!

Cheers Y'all!

Rick

4. WN1MB

WN1MB Ham Member QRZ Page

I'd say "mission accomplished." Well done!

...and a few of we mere mortals with only ET certificates, too.

5. AI6XK

AI6XK Ham Member QRZ Page

first thing i would have done is cut that short at the far end!!!!!!!!!!!!