ad: ProAudio-1

Ham Radio - A skype chat with Josh Nass of Ham Radio Crash Course.

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KB7TBT, Oct 2, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. WN1MB

WN1MB Ham Member QRZ Page

Understood.

IIRC, it was your cohort who instigated the "en viz" patter.

Related: I've been witness to much acronym-speak in our company's Continual Improvement meetings. When I don't know the meaning of one of the acronyms, my hand goes up and I ask. And when my hand goes up, I frequently see the rolling eyes and looks of dismay.

I'm not sure what is worse - the CI presenter not knowing the meaning of the acronym he had just spat out (which is often the case), or that the rest of my fellow underlings don't know either but simply don't give a damn. It's as if they're perfectly comfortable swimming in their pool of ignorance.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2020
    KU4X and M1WML like this.
  2. KI6NAZ

KI6NAZ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I've started updating a wiki post at work with all the myriad acronyms to link people to. That and all the special one-off links that are needed to different documents. "Acronym Archivist" could almost be a fulltime position.

M1WML, KL7KN and WN1MB like this.
  3. KL7KN

KL7KN Ham Member QRZ Page

As a tech and fiction writer writer, this is something I have to fight with myself.

The DOT mil crowd makes it a second language - it took me years to relearn English & to avoid Grunt or Zoomie dialects after I retired. (smiles)

BTW - I've enjoyed many of your tech-oriented vids.

M1WML likes this.
  4. KI4POT

KI4POT Ham Member QRZ Page

Huh. I've always heard it verbalized as "inviz" unless it was being used in an audience that didn't know the acronym.

"Continuous Improvement". ;)
    And don't get me started on CI in general. I can't seem to get people to understand that undergoing a massive CI initiative is pointless if you're not solidly in CMMI Level 4. "Your processes are poorly defined and understood and everything is ad hoc, you're not ready for a fancy CI program". No, I'm not triggered, why do you ask?

"TLA Archivist". :) Could you imagine the job posting? It would (should, even) be all TLAs. :D
    My company (huge overseas telco and IT services provider) maintains an acronym page on our intranet.

Chris

M1WML likes this.
  5. N8MLP

N8MLP Ham Member QRZ Page

Wow, I am surprised at the overly negative comments! Serious question, why?

I love these guys, K6UDA, HamRadioConcepts, K8MRD, HamRadio2.0, Josh, CommsPrepper... Its like having a cable channel totally devoted to Ham tech, news, experiments, product reviews... Who cares if they get free stuff here and there. Some of them pass it on with give aways and whatnot.

I am also amazed how humble they are, just normal dudes. I first hand have regular convos on twitter with Mike K8MRD

I am happy for them. They filled a niche and are able to profit from it. "Find a job doing what you like and you never have to work a day in your life" right?

W0JKT, M1WML, N0DCW and 1 other person like this.
  6. ND6M

ND6M Ham Member QRZ Page

Be careful what you ask for, don't you think that actually spelling "N e a r v e r t i c a l i n c i d e n c e s k y w a v e" would be boring, or perhaps you prefer He use phonetics.

Keep up the fun you tube vids Josh

M1WML and 2E0TWD like this.
  7. K9GLS

K9GLS Guest

AAM.

(All Acronyms Matter)

M1WML likes this.
  8. VA3OSO

VA3OSO Ham Member QRZ Page

N1IPU and M1WML like this.
  9. KC2SIZ

KC2SIZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Is there still more to say about the amazing Baofang?

10. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

I have no idea what 'En Viz' propagation is, for the simple reason that no form of propagation is called that.

There is 'near vertical incidence skywave' (or 'NVIS').... I am quite familiar with that.