ad: M2Ant-1

Ham Radio 360: Hamvention Day One Review

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by K4CDN, May 20, 2017.

Tags:
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. WW8X

WW8X Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm a long time resident in this area. When I heard the Green County Fairgrounds was chosen as the new site, I felt it was a questionable choice. Don't get me wrong, for a rural county fairgrounds it's a very nice place. I just don't believe it was ever built to host an event like the Hamvention. On the other hand, the Dayton Expo Center is adjacent to the Dayton Airport where they host the Dayton Airshow each year. Plenty of capacity at that site and near major interstate highways. If there was a good reason to not go there, I just haven't heard it.

2. ND8D

ND8D Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Good reason number 1:

It's closed to hosting events...
    http://www.whio.com/news/local/dayton-expo-center-stop-hosting-events/08xaaDqr1FRKSVjCzPJyvO/

3. K7BJS

K7BJS Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I am inclined to agree with Gene on this,
    If you want a hamfest, in your area, then get off your duff and build one, build the reputation, build the support community..
    There was some simple stuff that I was not pleased with, however overall, I am darn glad that I went.
    I am sure that there will be some improvements next year. Like the removal of the crotch high 2.5 inch post in the middle of the, 3 person maybe wide, entry gate, that I caught myself on as people were shoving me to get in the place on Sat morning.
    Jack KD9ERA
    Granger, IN

4. K9NZ

K9NZ Ham Member QRZ Page

It was a good hamfest, yes it rained, but it rained over about all the mid-west. Everyone bitched about Hara, problem solved. Maybe some of the clubs can cough up $30,000 to $40,000 to get one of the really big centers to host a major ham event for a bunch of cheap hobbist to attend ( me included) It was my 28th year to be at Dayton and I enjoyed it even with the mud and rain. It's Dayton
    you can't tell a good war story if there's no battle.
    My hat's off to the Dayton group ! See ya next year.