ad: elecraft

Ham Kids Give a Close-up Look at Their Amateur Radio Go Box

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by WX4TV, Jul 10, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-2
  1. WX4TV

WX4TV Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

The kids are able to move it around. The next one they build will be a bit lighter, but this was a good first time.

2. YB8DAK

YB8DAK Ham Member QRZ Page

Amazing.....Great job Lady's

3. N3OWM

N3OWM Ham Member QRZ Page

4. KF5FEI

KF5FEI Ham Member QRZ Page

Nice layout, but packing that much stuff into a box makes it heavy and likely to have overheating problems outdoors. Not to mention having the back open, with all the connectors exposed, means something could disappear or get unplugged.

I went a similar route, but spaced the equipment out a bit more, and added a vented back panel and a back panel with fans. Connections for AC power and antennas are the only thing accessible from the rear - battery connection to follow once I get another PwrGate. Not to mention you can store the mic, cords, etc... in the back cover and not worry about them falling into the works.

5. KD0WGB

KD0WGB Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

AWESOME WORK

6. K4VW

K4VW Ham Member QRZ Page

Lucky Dad, great video. 73's
    de Jim, k4vw

7. WA2LXB

WA2LXB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Dear Mom and Dad: You're doing it right. Amateur radio will positively influence your children's decisions and opportunities for the rest of their lives.

Regarding the poo-poo about Go-Box weight...pfft...you've got 4 kids and 2 parents to lug it around! Mine weighs in at nearly 45 lbs and can be plopped onto a wheeled cart and moved anywhere easily. Only the radios are screwed down inside of brackets, everything else uses "EZ Pass" velcro (3M Dualock) or HD tie wraps:)

Maybe the next iteration would be to help the kids use what they learned to design a 'kid portable' station inside a backpack as used for Summit On the Air QSOs.

Great hobby, and I'm juiced to see youngsters picking it up with gusto.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2017
  8. KI7PBG

KI7PBG Ham Member QRZ Page

Wow so awesome i like it i seen some you youtube videos they are so awesome :)

9. KB1PA

KB1PA XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Outstanding video! Could you (please) Post a list of parts for the case? Where did you get the shelves? Part numbers and source if you can :) Hope to see you at the various hamfests in Florida.