ad: ProAudio-1

Ham Arrested at NC Airport

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by W4PG, Apr 27, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. W8DCB

W8DCB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

W8AJL is right. Common sense should have played into this, but unfortunately, common sense seems to very uncommon these days.
    KD8NRS

2. WG8Z

WG8Z Ham Member QRZ Page

I need to pay more attention. When did OSP start using Red Pontiac Grand Am's ? Don't believe I've ever seen any Model/Year/Color OSP sporting either a Hamstick or Wilson 1K. ASP's and K-40's Yes, Hamsticks and 1000's No.

3. KB3TZK

KB3TZK Ham Member QRZ Page

The issue here is that the arrest may have been prompted at least in part by the presence of amateur radio equipment in the car so it is of interest to the ham community. If a hunter were arrested and it seemed the arrest was prompted at least in part by the fact that the hunter was wearing hunting gear, I bet hunters would talk about it.

4. K4UUG

K4UUG Ham Member QRZ Page

SOME HAM ECOMMERS USE FAKE POLICE BADGES

[​IMG][​IMG]

SOME HAM ECOMMERS USE FAKE POLICE BADGES
    YOU KNOW THE THE TYPE EC DEC OF THE EIEIOU !

Last edited: Apr 27, 2010
  5. W4PG

W4PG QRZ Lifetime Member #279 Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

While no doubt folks will use this incident to make fun of those interested in emergency communications, I see nothing to suggest the ham in this case has anything to do with EMCOMM. Someone mentioned something about SKYWARN but that's weather related.

If the fellow was EC for his country, was active in various EMCOMM groups, etc, then maybe. But I don't see that at all. Maybe someone can point out where it's confirmed that this fellow actively participated in traditional EMCOMM activities.

Personally, I think he's guilty of a serious lack of judgment and not much more. But, time will tell.

..............Bob

6. KD4AC

KD4AC QRZ Member

The guy was obviously another "wannabe" cop. He just ruined any chance he had of actually becoming one though.

7. W4PG

W4PG QRZ Lifetime Member #279 Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Well I see he does have an EMCOMM symbol on his QSL card . . . . :rolleyes:

8. AF6LJ

AF6LJ Ham Member QRZ Page

It would still be nice to hear this guy's side of the story.
    After reading his bio in the database I want to hear his explanation.

9. W6EM

W6EM Ham Member QRZ Page

Defamation....You're Getting Close

I don't like doing this, but my last name is McVey. The same as Joseph S. McVey. I'm probably related to him back three generations.

Suggesting that because someone's last name sounds like a mass murderer's, and in this case, its pronunciation does, is somewhat injurious to anyone's character whose last name is McVey. My kids had to endure ridicule and scoffing 20 years ago for that and our name was never spelled McVeigh or MacVeigh.

I'd suggest you knock off this sort of stuff. It serves no useful purpose other than ridicule. That, in this case, hits close to home. To me and my family.

If he were a close enough relative to have known of him, I'd be one of the first to contact him and tell him what I thought of his stupid behavior. Including and especially his whackerism.

Maybe there isn't a lot to do in central, rural Ohio, besides learning how to play the piano, ham radio, and yes, help out in the community. He went overboard with his community activities and didn't have the sense to put it all away when away from home.

That's all I think this is. A misguided cop wanna be that got used to wearing his piece, or keeping it next to him. Enough to raise some eyebrows. Probably right that he was shaken down.

According to Coshocton, OH news outlets, he does have a valid OH driver's license. And, he did have (until last night) a valid concealed carry permit from OH with reciprocity in NC.

10. WG8Z

WG8Z Ham Member QRZ Page

I guess where I'm troubled is.
    This is not a vehicle one could easily lose in a parking lot.
    Where it was parked.
    That the officers stumbled upon it *AFTER* the plane departed.
    Lock the gate after the horses get out.
    Don't you just feel so much safer hearing that LE is on the ball?
    That little Joe Whacker might have had as much situational awareness as
    the Security Detail?
    I'm gonna sleep like a baby knowing I'm safe and protected.
    I see it now:
    Homeland security alert... Be aware of vehicles displaying Amateur Radio Vanity Callsign license plates...Suspect vehicles have been known to carry
    armed occupants and sophisticated electronic communication and monitoring devices and constitute a threat to the Citizens of the United States.
    Sorry didn't mean to get off topic here.
    :)

11. N8CPA

N8CPA Ham Member QRZ Page

I didn't say the car itself was intended to look like an OSP car, but the arrangement of antennas. The specific kind of car and antennas is irrelevant to the image a wannabe tries to project or suggest. 30 years ago, I knew a guy who wanted to make his Pinto look like a Space Shuttle because he wanted to look like an astronaut. :D

12. AF6LJ

Don't get me started on the Keystone Cops out tax dollars are paying for these days.

13. KB3SYZ

KB3SYZ Ham Member QRZ Page

This kid did nothing illegal, period. All he is guilty of is a stupidity. Sorry to say that is not illegal. As for the drivers license if there was a problem with it he would have had that charge tacked on.

Lets take a look at what he did;

1. Pulled into a public airport parking lot with the intention of seeing either the president or his aircraft. Nothing illegal about that. Be honest here how many of you if given the opportunity to see a sitting president or his aircraft in person would take that opportunity.

2. Had a gun on him. Again not illegal. He was properly registered and had a permit valid in the jurisdiction he was in. He was exercising his right as granted under the constitution. Stupid in these circumstances but legal none the less.

3. Dash mounted cam, siren under dash, lights. Again not illegal or he would have been charged.

4. Radios and scanners. Not illegal

5. Antenna farm on the trunk. Not illegal.

6. Piece of paper with numbers on it assumed to be ballistics table. Again not illegal.

He did nothing illegal but was charged with a catch all charge. The same as charging someone with disorderly conduct. The law is written so broad and vague on purpose so as to make any actions by the public chargeable. The most that should have happened is that he be detained, investigated, then after nothing illegal found left to be on his way.

Again the only thing he is guilty of is stupidity. And that is not illegal.

14. W6EM

W6EM Ham Member QRZ Page

If they're yellow or white (clear LED lens, was all that was stated), they're defined as "caution lights" and allowed by many states.

Why do surveyors, rural mailmen, wreckers, utility trucks and road maintenance folks have them? To try to avoid being hit by oncoming traffic when parked along the road. This guy does Skywarn and REACT. In his rural community, that's probably accepted equipment when parked along a road or highway trying to help out.

Probably a good assumption, the attention part. I read part of a local Coshocton news article last night where a lady was quoted as "loving him and will be praying for him." She wasn't his mother.

I can't begin to defend his behavior. Pure stupidity, if he was wearing the piece. Even, IMO, to have it in his car, but he did have a concealed permit.

Yeah, he's pretty well embarassed, I'm sure.

But, what about all the Ham-Sexy mobiles that look at least as conspicuous as his that will be on the Interstates in a few weeks going to Dayton?

If the "reasonable cause for search" of his vehicle and shake down was its appearance, then Houston, we HAVE a problem. The initial charge, later dropped, according to one account, was impersonating a police officer. To make that claim, their search of his vehicle, found antennas, radios, caution lights AND the "siren" (probably a siren-PA used for an outside speaker amplifier for his radio). Will the next cop who doesn't like your ham-sexy vehicle, try to arrest you for impersonating a police officer?

If this guy were intent on being a whacker, like several I've seen at Florida and Alabama hamfests, he'd be driving not a red Pontiac Grand Am, but a decommissioned Police Interceptor Crown Victoria or Chevy Impala. At least that way, the holes in the trunk and the roof, and even a spotlight on the drivers side would be just where he needed them.

15. AF6LJ

My point exactly........
    There is a lot of harassment of gun owners, more than usual. So what if he has a ballistics table he could have a copy of the Constitution and Bill of Rights also, neither is a crime.

Too many people have been watching too much TV, especially second rate cop shows like 24.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.