ad: QSLWorks-1

goTenna lets you send text messages when there's no network available

Discussion in 'General Announcements' started by KE6ENI, Jul 23, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. K8ERV

K8ERV QRZ Member QRZ Page

I'll pass.

TOM K8ERV Montrose Colo

2. AG6QR

AG6QR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

It seems to be a little less than that. Their FAQ says it is most definitely NOT a mesh network, but only a direct point-to-point communications system. No store-and-forward, but it will auto-retry. The sender and receiver have to be within direct simplex range for the message to go through.

It's basically a "digital walkie talkie for your cell phone", that pairs with a smart phone and allows you to send texts and share your location, but no voice communications. It does support end-to-end encryption, unlike ham radio. It's VHF, 2 watts, but a small package which must not have a very efficient antenna. I'm not sure what to expect as far as range, but I'd expect a pair of 2m HTs using simplex to do at least as well, being of a roughly similar wavelength, roughly similar power, probably better antennas (bad as HT antennas are!). They claim that, in city streets, range should be around 0.5 to 1 mile. That seems achievable. They also quote higher ranges under ideal conditions. As hams, we all know how variable range can be in low power VHF, depending on terrain, obstacles, etc.

Did anybody put up a tower to achieve a 0.5 to 1 mile range? I've got a few things I'd like to sell to that fellow...

Seriously, these things are not a lot different from FRS radios, as far as their ability to keep two people in touch over a distance without infrastructure. However, some people prefer communication by texts using smartphones instead of by voice, and these do that. Furthermore, by supporting encrypted digital communications that are addressed to a specific individual, you don't overhear everyone else's messages, nor do others hear yours, which can be an advantage over FM voice.

I'll definitely pass on this one, but I bet they'll sell a few. I'm not sure what the market is for people who want to be able to text short distances, while out of cell service range. I wouldn't bet on this taking the world by storm, but then again, I didn't think anyone would want a camera in their phone.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.