ad: QSLWorks-1

Get Started with FT8 - An Introduction for Beginners

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by VK7HH, Nov 4, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. KJ7QQG

KJ7QQG Ham Member QRZ Page

I agree with everything except the splattering over the bands part. My favorite place to be is where the PSK31 runs (about 3-4 kHz below FT8) and at least 5 times a day I see a straggler from FT8, way off their segment, blanking the waterfall on the poor helpless keyboard modes. As for splattering period, one of these people had an IMD so bad it was hard to tell which harmonic was the actual signal. Had at least 7th order visible over the noise, total of over 1000 Hz of the bandwidth taken up. Although, 400 of it was over the 3000Hz audio filter on my radio, but since IMD is symmetrical I could guess.

KA2FIR and KK9W like this.
  2. KK4YDR

KK4YDR Ham Member QRZ Page

Ok I retract my splatter statement. Youre right, I have seen some awful stuff in the digital segment for sure. I think as far as ft8 is concerned, I think those people are audio clipping by over driving thier radio and then passing that heavily clipped overdriven audio signal to thier amp. Dirty signal in, dirty signal out.

3. KJ7QQG

KJ7QQG Ham Member QRZ Page

Overdriving is a big problem with signals lately. It increases average audio output but it turns the signal into a square wave eventually, meaning distortions left and right... TO the left and right. There's already a different thread pertaining to splatter, but just make sure you're running your audio right. It makes a big difference. Here's what I do:

Set the radio to maximum power, and turn down the mic gain (or volume input) to minimum.
    Press Tune, and turn up the mic gain (or volume input) slowly until you reach the power output you desire.
    Transmit like normal.

This keeps the ALC from acting up and chopping off the top of your signal while still being able to run lower power.

N3RYB likes this.
  4. N6RLG

N6RLG Ham Member QRZ Page

I invented knuckleheads!

Al Gore

TIERONE, W2CPD, NK8I and 4 others like this.
  5. NN6EE

NN6EE Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Hiya Jamie!!!
    I get where you're coming from BUT YOU HAVE TO REMEMBER HAM RADIO is a REFLECTION ON EVERYDAY LIFE!!! So if you can't handle the so-called "KNUCKLEHEADS" THEN YOU'RE IN THE WRONG HOBBY!!!

88's

Jim-NN6EE

NU4R likes this.
  6. NU4R

NU4R XML Subscriber QRZ Page

My Dell has made 12 FT8 contacts to date.

Not a bit exciting when I WORK to make a contact via CW or Phone. Especially a countries I've been trying to WORK for years!

Sorry ladies and gentlemen, boys and girls. These are the facts. And, pretty much the exact same way I feel about the elimination of the Morse code DESIPLINE to get an Amateur Radio license in the first place.

Nevertheless. Great video Hayden.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2021
    KA2FIR, VK7HH and KE0GXN like this.
  7. K4YNZ

K4YNZ Ham Member QRZ Page

FT8 is a silent mode. I have a station in my our bedroom. I can make contacts while the wife sleeps. OK wife is wonderful. I have often awaken her up at all hours of the night with my job and chasing DX!

N4KRX, N3RYB and VK7HH like this.
  8. VK7HH

VK7HH Ham Member QRZ Page

It's a great piece of software. I think that will be my next video.

K3SX likes this.
  9. VK7HH

Thanks mate! I completely understand FT8 is not for everyone. I'm still happy to see any activity on the bands :)

10. VK7HH

Haha happy wife, happy life right? Good on you mate!

K4YNZ and K0UO like this.
  11. K6VOX

K6VOX Ham Member QRZ Page

Im just here with my popcorn, as usual, see how long this takes before....BOOM....

N7XCZ, AK4AM and WN1MB like this.
  12. KK9W

KK9W Ham Member QRZ Page

So is CW with a quality key and a set of headphones. If interested, look at the sideswiper/cootie keys from W1SFR that utilize a torsion bar and no springs. They are absolutely silent. If you don't know code and want to, Long Island CW club is a worthwhile endeavor.

N4KRX, HA3FLT, KA2FIR and 1 other person like this.
  13. KD2YDS

KD2YDS Ham Member QRZ Page

Great introduction! Going to keep this video in mind once I get started with HF.

VK7HH likes this.
  14. W9QK

W9QK Ham Member QRZ Page

Grid tracker is a great tool to log in ur QSOs while doIng FT8. It will save u a whole bunch of headaches trying to go back and upload QSOs by hand!

15. K4YNZ

K4YNZ Ham Member QRZ Page

I was a Novice in 1978 so I know CW! But being dyslexic the abbervations we use presents challenges. Dittio all the three letter acronym's. As a Novice I/we worked Field Day to get ready for 13wpm. 1978 Novice was CW only. We did get to run 25ow input and VFO's.

Wife loves ham radio. I was an RF Engineer/Cell Tech for 28 years. Radio paid the bills !