ad: wmr-1

'Get RadioActive' video

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by G4TUT/SK2022, Jun 27, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. KG4ULP

KG4ULP Ham Member QRZ Page

I can appreciate the effort, but if the intent is for it to be a promotional video to attract people into the hobby, it's unlikely to succeed. I have yet to see any video written to promote ham radio that was very good - even the one with Walter Cronkite was underwhelming. And, if you're trying to recruit younger people, having a 80-some year old technician class that they've probably never heard of promote it (and who rarely operates) is probably not good marketing.

What I would like to see is a straightforward, non-glitzy, non-dorky matter-of-fact video that answers questions about what the hobby is, what it entails, its value as both a fun hobby and also as a public service, and done in such a way as not to look like it's trying too hard. What looks cool to a 60 year old radio nerd does not necessarily translate well to a 18 (or 40) year old.

I know, I know, why don't I just make my own video, right? I take the following approach: I mention the hobby in the classroom (college) and have operated during class and had hams from the local club bring their emergency vehicle out. I do the soft-sell and always let students know that if they are interested in learning more to contact me. In my course on radiation and thermodynamics, I teach them a bit about the ionosphere (or, the 'ignorosphere' as coined by a friend who is doing ionospheric research). I've helped start one college club and may help facilitate one at a different university.

I believe the trend in dwindling numbers will not reverse any time soon. But you know what, that's OK in my mind. It's just the natural cycle of things. So long as there are enough of us keeping the fire burning, the hobby will continue, and new people who get bit by the bug will enter the ranks.

2. W4DXL

W4DXL XML Subscriber QRZ Page

The first video is better

I have to agree the second video didn't bring home the message. I think the first video was much better. Just my opinion, hats off for doing both of them. Nice to see people promoting the hobby!

Mike W4DXL

3. K4WGE

K4WGE Ham Member QRZ Page

I feel sorry for anyone who would rather sling the crap than spend time with his family. :(

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.