Gerritsen Convicted in Jamming Case

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by AA7BQ, Dec 10, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Subscribe
  1. K6LCS

K6LCS Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

>>...the milksop excuses libs like you dream up to shift the responsibility from the criminal to society...

Wow...sure hit a nerve. If you read what I was replying to, you'd realize that your response is silly. The post stated that this society wouldn't let a crazy man defend himself.

But I am glad you vented a little...I'd rather you let some steam off here than, say, towards your dog.

Clint Bradford, K6LCS

2. KG6LFN

KG6LFN Ham Member QRZ Page

If you read what I was replying to, you'd realize that your response is silly. Clint Bradford, K6LCS

Clint, I responded to your direct quote - even included it in my response for the benefit of the casual reader. I am very concerned that you can’t take a little criticism of your own direct quote going so far as to call my response “silly”and bringing up a non-sequitur. Sounds to me like you and ‘ol Gerritsen may just be tied at the heart!

Open your mouth, remove all doubt!

Carry-on, OM

3. NK0V

NK0V XML Subscriber QRZ Page

We know you think you think he is innocent. It is what you have been saying all along, he is the wronged one here and has NO responsibility for his actions.

Mr. G is guilty, like it or not (you do not). Take him in your care if you want, fine. Most here are fed up with you trying to blame every action of Mr. G on us and amateur radio and trying every way possible to give him an excuse and shift blame from him.

As for the dog, what business is that of yours?. I don't need to hear your expert medical dribble about that either.

4. KC8SSC

KC8SSC Ham Member QRZ Page

ANYBODY THAT DOES SOMETHING LIKE THIS is unbalanced...that's obvious....I would be concerned as to why?[​IMG] Well he probably is a victim of his environment...I.E. society treated him in a bad way since childhood and this is how he turned out! That's why there are so many bad seeds out there....and in the end we deserve to pay the price just like we are....we did nothing about it while it was going on.

Also there are many others growing up and they are much worse. I think its time we pay for that!!!

If you think, this man was not born this way, so we as society must have created or made him this way.

5. W0GI

W0GI Ham Member QRZ Page

I see.

The criminal is the victim, and society is at fault.

What a bunch of BS.

Guess what, life is tough for lots of people, and they deal with it, and don't use tough times, as an excuse to commit crime.

You bleeding hearts, just crack me up.

73 - W6NJ

6. KG6YOF

KG6YOF Ham Member QRZ Page

While I have not read all of the posts on this subject, it seems like there might be a bit of miscommunication going on. That's the problem with the internet and why Ham radio is such a great thing. In the course of a normal conversation people often find common ground that is often lost in the depersonalized forum of cyberspace.

Anyway, it does not seem like any of the posters have said that these crimes should go unpunished. I have not followed this case in any meaningful way, so I have no opinion on the mental faculties of any of the aforementioned ex-hams. However, our legal system is not set up to excuse any crime because of mental illness. A defendant can only be deemed to be mentally incompetent if they did not realize that their actions were wrong at the time they were committed. It seems clear that Gerritsen understood that his actions were illegal and that society in general thought they were "wrong".

I have not read any posts that seem to indicate that Gerritson or K1MAN should go unpunished on these legal grounds. Rather, some have simply commented on what could possibly lead to this type of behavior. Some degree of mental unbalance seems like a totally reasonable hypothesis. As I said, I know very little about this particular case, so I personally have no opinion on the matter. But to completely write it off seems to allude to an antiquated understanding of metal illness and how it can lead to antisocial behavior.

As for throwing the book at him, I don't know about that. People found guilty of manslaughter, rape and other heinous and violent crimes do not get 15 years. I understand the frustration that many must have felt with regard to the interference caused by Garritson and others, but lets get a little perspective on this. In the grand scheme of things there are many, many more serious transgressions against our society then an unbalanced man who has frustrated participants in our hobby.

As for his illegal broadcasts on MARS and Coast Guard frequencies, those are perhaps more serious because of the potential harm they could have done, but here in the USofA we don't punish folks for things that might have occurred and that is something for us to be proud of.

The guy should go to jail and pay a fine, but 15 years seems excessive to the point of being irrational. I'm assuming he will not get near that amount of jail time.

KG6YOF (Jeff)

7. G0OIL

G0OIL Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes, we have a certain gentleman from Italy, IT9RYH who holds court on 14.195 preferably whenever he can QRM a dxpedition. For hours and hours. We're all convinced that he talks to himself. He is a total sociopath and would make an excellent padded cellmate to your friend over there.

8. KG6HDW

KG6HDW Ham Member QRZ Page

Breaking the bond of international goodwill is bad taste. Gerritsen's abuse of Ham Radio has prevented other civilians from getting needed help.

I also feel sorry for him that he abused his right for freedom. Ten years for a license by providing international good will is better than over ten years of federal prison hanging with a bunch of former class bullies. [​IMG]

9. NK0V

Dribble, you got me there my mistake.

As for the 50 bucks, he still owes me for that last time he got a loan from me.  I can send you an IOU form him though.

Could we agree to disagree here?  I still feel you are looking for giving the man an excuse fine, I say he is guilty, take away his mike and give him a CW key.  Strike that, a plastic cup on a string attached to another cup in K1MANs hand.  I have seen many excuses to why some feel they need to have their actions excused, this due to experience in law enforcment.  Some (a very small percentage but I will admit some) may have a legit case, Mr G I feel does not, he knew full good and well what he was doing.  I say guilty as charged, you say maybe.....fine but at least he is off the air.
    You have a Happy Holidays there as well and I hope Mr.G  gets a very large fruitcake with lots of nuts for his holiday.........

10. NK0V

Well now, talking to himself. I guess I really don't have a problem with that, even if he asks himself question, but does he ask himself to repeat what he just said? If so he is nuts.
    Anyway I am sorry you have one over there too. I assume there are ways that it is handled, but I am not sure how. What kind of fine or trouble could this fella get into? I am just interested in how it is in other places which is why I am asking. None the less I hope they move faster than here.
    KC0OFZ

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.