Geochron Digital 4k UHD review

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by VA2PV, Jun 11, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: l-assoc
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. N4KZ

N4KZ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Got my 4K UHD TV and a wall mount. Just need to order the Geochron Digital and I will be in business. A long-time ham shack dream fulfilled at a fraction of the cost of the mechanical Geochron. Yes, it will work on any HD TV but resolution won't be nearly as sharp as the UHD TV. It uses WiFi for the time, as well as it tracks the ISS, has a map with all the ham radio call sign prefixes, now shows major shipping and airline routes, nighttime city lights and more. Man, once this beauty is installed, I will have to clean up my messy shack because this thing will just beg for visitors. My wife thinks I'm nutty but I told her the Geochron Digital will be so gorgeous that she'll want one for the living room too. (Major eye roll.)

2. KF5FEI

KF5FEI Ham Member QRZ Page

We used to go to a bar that had a GeoChron on the wall, and we would all watch it to see if the day / night overlay moved.

3. N4KZ

N4KZ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

A local restaurant used to have a Geochron on the wall. After eating, I'd always go over and admire the thing of beauty on the wall. And hope Santa would bring me one someday.

W5TXR likes this.
  4. N6YFM

N6YFM XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Google turned up nothing on GridTracker & N0TLL. Can you share more info please?

ah, hang on....
    The call in your post was transposed, it should be N0TTL, not TLL.
    Found it. It is not the same thing as GeoChron, but interesting. For other people,
    here is the info;
    ====================
    GridTracker is software that works in conjunction with WSJT-X. Grid Tracker takes information
    WSJT-X is providing and puts it on a real time map with grid squares. You can easily see contacts being made right in front of your eyes!
    This software is completely free and was created by amateur radio operator, Stephen - NØTTL.

Benefits: Easily manage your contacts through real time mapping Visually see contacts in each grid square being made throughout the world in real time Load your ADIF log files from WSJT-X, Qrz.com, LoTW, PSKReporter Feature rich, easy to use GridTracker is a companion program for WSJT-X. It listens to WSJT-X or JTDX decodes and displays them on a map for Linux, Mac, and Windows. Display on a large second monitor in your amateur radio club, hamfest or as a demonstration in a classroom. Everyone gets excited when they can see what you’re doing!

You can also load your ADIF log files from WSJT-X, Qrz.com, LoTW, PSKReporter and others to get a visual view of ‘stations worked’, stations that can hear you and more!
    Download info for GridTracker: https://tagloomis.com/downloads/

Last edited: Jun 12, 2018
    AB8CL and WU6P like this.
  5. MW1CFN

MW1CFN XML Subscriber QRZ Page

And how much RFI will all that screen produce? A lot, if my experiences with LED screens are anything to go by.

My visualisation of the globe at any time of day is free. It's called a mental picture. But, of course, I'm not a dumb consumer.

6. K1VSK

K1VSK Ham Member QRZ Page

I guess that means the rest of us are dumb consumers. Thanks for the tip. I'll henceforth refrain from buying anything not on your approved list :)

W4ABC, M0REU and WZ4K like this.
  7. W4PG

W4PG Super Moderator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I have a 43 inch 4K UHD LCD in my shack and no noise at all. Plasma TVs were the real culprit there.

..............Bob

WZ4K likes this.
  8. WB0OEW

WB0OEW XML Subscriber QRZ Page

MW1CFN likes this.
  9. WZ4K

WZ4K Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

GridTracker is very nice. Connected to WSJT-X you get real-time data. PSKReporter is also an option. Many options and data sources. This is a bit different than the GeoChron option - I definitely recommend DLing and playing around to learn its capabilities.

I have 6 LED flood lights, 4 LED lamps, 4 LED monitors and a 70" LED TV [a cheap VIZIO] in the shack(don't judge and, yes, size matters :() - zero RFI. Not only is my shack fun to operate in - it's fun for guests to visit with lots of visual input to enhance radio operations.

To each his/her own - enjoy your mental pictures, 73, Howard

W4ABC likes this.
  10. W5TXR

W5TXR XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I’m impressed! $399 and change is more affordable.
    I’ve always wanted a GeoChrom map clock but I couldn’t justify $1300+
    The Geochron 4K UHD is more my budget, I just ordered one.
    And a Sony 42” 4K UHD TV.
    I remember when there was no color TV! I never saw a color TV until around 1966 when dad bought one from Sears and Roebuck!
    Who would have thought about digital UHD television back in the early 60’s?
    Currently I’m using a clock kit (GPS reference) from qrp-labs.com