ad: elecraft

Full-duplex QSO with South Africa

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KD3V, Apr 6, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
  1. KD3V

KD3V Guest

Using all the available technology at hand John, ZS6AN and I (Dave, KD3V) had a brief but fun FULL-DUPLEX QSO this morning(afternoon). 440 HT to 20 meter full-duplex.

John and I regularly talk on 20 meters. I live in Hollywood, California and John lives in Pretoria, South Africa.

This week I noticed that a 2 meter repeater in Johannesburg was available as a node on the IRLP network. I have used the incredible WINSYSTEM here in southern California to work Australia and England on the IRLP system and now I wanted to add another level of fun to the integration of ham radio and the internet. The 448.06 (K6JSI) machine on Santiago Peak was my link into the IRLP system this morning.

I told John about the ZS6ERB repeater (145.675) and he knew of it but he has only spotty use of it. His 25 watts is not always good enough to get into it 60 miles away.

I had a control operator on the Winsystem bring up the node in J'burg and called John on 440 with my HT! While he was not able to reach the repeater to reply to me on the IRLP directly, he did answer me on 20 meters as I called him! He told me I was coming through fine as I briefly gave him a report which completed a full-duplex qso using HF, VHF, UHF and IRLP all working together to allow another fun ham radio contact.

This is another (unique?) QSO that I have had with John. A few months ago we used a webcam to do what we believe is the first webcam asssisted HF (longpath, no less) QSO. I was mobile on 20M parked in sight of a very flexible webcam with zoom and pan features. John used this webcam (www.liveland.com, temporarily off line at the moment) in Hollywood to watch me as I spoke to him from my (parked) mobile station in my 300ZX. A live and in color video (2 frames per second) view as we spoke on 20 meters. Some day we will try the other direction if he locates a webcam thathas a view of a road.

Ham radio and the internet are providing some very nice features when used together. IRLP, iLink, W4MQ remote base, etc...

John and I  have also spoken while I used the W4MQ internet remote base station as well as the more "normal" modes of mobile to mobile etc. on 20 meters.

Give it a try and add some more spice to ham radio!

Thanks to the Winsystem, the control op. and to Shorty, K6JSI, the driving force within the fine Winsystem.

Until the next qso John!

Dave, KD3V

2. KG4RQO

KG4RQO Ham Member QRZ Page

I've used IRLP on the local 440 repeater but never heard of Winsystem. Can you point me to a URL with information?

John
    KG4RQO

3. N6YW

N6YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Hey Dave...
    Not much QSB is there? I worked S. Africa on the local 220 box
    in Palles Verdes via the western reflector. It was amazing how those who
    participated actually listened and waited their turn. It went very
    smoothly unlike a pileup on 20 meters. The node in S. Africa just
    went up recently and worked flawlessly. It was nicer to work you
    long path on SSB though, but through the IRLP, you can actually
    hear me from XE2 land.