ad: M2Ant-1

FT-1000MP INRAD Sensitivity Modification

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by Guest, Aug 10, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: abrind-2
  1. Guest

Guest Guest

If you own one of the Yaesu FT-1000 series transceivers and are contemplating adding the INRAD performance modification, this might save you some time and heartburn.

First, let me say that the INRAD Sensitivity Improvement Modification is a great enhancement to the rig and should be given high consideration. The improvement is dramatic. Also, my experience was that it will “normally” take more time to remove and replace the covers on the FT-1000 MP than it takes to install the modification.

Having said that, I ran into a major problem with the small coax cable that has to be disconnected from J2003 and then connected to the “IN” jack on the modification board. The coax was at least ½” too short to even reach the connector. Common sense told me that George, W2VJN at International Radio didn’t put out a product that couldn’t be installed without major problems. I was also afraid to pull too hard on the cable. Who knows what it was wrapped around; such as a transistor or IF coil, etc.? Finally, I bit the bullet and removed the PA Unit which gives access to the RF Unit PC board, where the other end of the cable plugs in.

A note on removing the PA Unit. When working on a $3,000 rig and it’s my own (and still under warranty) I tend to get a little nervous. Fortunately, there are only four screws holding the unit in place and plenty of slack on the attached wires to allow movement to the back of the rig and give access to the RF Unit. When the four screws are removed, the unit easily lifts straight up and can be rotated to the rear of the transceiver. The four screws are located: two on the left end of the transceiver and two on the top, right side of the heat sinks (viewing the rig from the front).

Once I had the PA Unit out of the way, the problem was obvious. The cable had been pulled snug and tie wrapped in two places. Each of the tie wraps was so tight that it had cut deeply into the insulation and permanently distorted the small coax. Yaesu needs to look at QC on this item and smack the hands of the gorilla installing these tie wraps. All of the slack in the cable (about 1”) was at the wrong end; right where the cable plugs into the connector on the RF Unit PC board. The slack was actually formed into a small coil where it plugged in. I snipped both tie wraps and viola!!! I had more than enough slack to reach the INRAD mod board.

The installation was complete and the rest of the work was re-installing the PA Unit and case to the FT-1000 MP Mark V. I powered up the unit (per modification instructions) and reduced the IF Gain. 20 Meters sounded like a whole new band. At first, I thought the band was dead (or the set) as it was very quiet. Then, as I tuned across the band, stations “jumped” out at me with virtually no background noise. I also learned, quickly, to reduce the RF gain.

Hopefully you won’t encounter this problem. But if you do, don’t panic, the cable is long enough, you just had the misfortune of getting the same gorilla that installed the cable in my unit.

Ron Freeman
    W0LPZ

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.