Free and open source remote operation of many Icom radios with wfview

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KB7TBT, May 9, 2021.

ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: l-BCInc
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. KB7TBT

KB7TBT XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Free and open source remote operation of many Icom radios with wfview

KJ4URG, KI5ONL, NR9Q and 8 others like this.
  2. NG1H

NG1H XML Subscriber QRZ Page

That is pretty cool. I just downloaded the software. Still in beta so not everything works and there's a couple of squirrelly things like you need to restart after changing settings but otherwise worked with a 7300 for radio control. Audio routing is only for network capable radios like the 7610 at this time.

Also direct internet control is also only for the network capable radios. The 7300 will require an additional computer next to the radio to act as a bridge.

https://wfview.org/

KO4ESA likes this.
  3. W4EAE

W4EAE XML Subscriber QRZ Page

YES YES YES YES YES!!!!!!!! :D

KO4ESA likes this.
  4. NN3RP

NN3RP Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Just did test it out with IC7610! The fellows on the other side could not tell that I was using my laptop to remote into rig via LAN....no complaints on audio....running about 300W....hihi

We envision a new way of remote controlling Icom gigs. Keep up the excellent work fellows.

KO4ESA and W1SRR like this.
  5. KC8UD

KC8UD Ham Member QRZ Page

Ah yes. The 17 meter activity group on 18.157.5. Jump in and join us sometime. We're on every morning/early afternoon. People just come and go through the day. Not a net so just jump in and say hello. It's a great place to test your new remote software or a new radio or a new antenna or just experiment.

KO4ESA and W9FL like this.
  6. W4EAE

W4EAE XML Subscriber QRZ Page

This software is excellent work. I saw this post yesterday, and after I got home I had it installed and running in under five minutes. This morning, I was able to do the same on my office computer. Even over WAN, the latency is still <25ms.

Their roadmap also looks excellent. Many new features are planned, and v2 will include IC-7300 audio and memory management. With firmware updates already available via SD card, this could become the perfect overall software for Icom radios for those who are not Windows users.

KO4ESA likes this.
  7. KA1YBS

KA1YBS XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Its not (yet) as user-friendly as Icom's RS-BA1 but, WOW!

Excellent work, kudos to the developers. I eagerly wait to see this project's ongoing progress. I use RS BA1 on a Surface Pro, and its a delight to use the touch controls, something I hope to see with wfview.

I love that this is cross-platform. Looks to heavily use CAT protocol, I see many other rigs other than Icom being supported one day. Awesome!

Best 73's

Last edited: May 11, 2021
    KO4ESA likes this.
  8. KC1UA

KC1UA Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

This software also works quite well with the IC-R8600 receiver, and brings the spectrum display to your monitor while retaining front panel controls of the radio. A great start; looking forward to its development.

KO4ESA likes this.
  9. KI5ONL

KI5ONL Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

good start, and thanks for posting links.

KO4ESA likes this.
  10. NX3W

NX3W Ham Member QRZ Page

How interesting! What a great open source project. I'll have to try this out on my rig-control computer soon.

KO4ESA likes this.