ad: Radclub22-1

Forty Years is a Long Time

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by Guest, Feb 20, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. Guest

Guest Guest

Forty Years is a Long Time

I was first licensed in the early 1960's as a novice in Tucson, Arizona. I barely squeaked by the 5 wpm code test and the written test, but I got my license and I was on the air.

CW didn’t appeal to me, I had a few contacts around the states, even one with “Communist” Russia and taking into account my allowance money as a high schooler , my equipment was a simple Multi-Elmac transmitter and a Hallicrafters SX-23. The antenna was a very droopy dipole.

I operated from my bedroom during breaks in my homework and getting the evil eye from my
    parents who wanted to know what weird pastime I was now into. Why wasn’t I smoking and hanging out at bars like the other kids, they wondered.

The lure of talking to some one on two meters was much more interesting than pounding a straight key and trying to understand what someone was saying when I heard the string of dits and dashes from my huge Hallicrafters speaker.

We had a great time on two meters, as several of us were on every night with our Heathkit Twoers and our collinear arrays pointed at each other and pointed at the Catalina Mountains so we could experience mountain bounce.

We even put the Twoers in our cars and drove all over town chasing each other while we were talking on two meters and while we were sitting in Johnnie’s Drive In checking out the girls in the adjoining cars. We were cool.

This was much more fun than morse code.

Time passed way too quickly and nearly 40 years later, after working and building a successful business, I have decided to get back into ham radio.

Eighteen years ago when my wife and I were looking for a new home, I picked our present home, knowing that I would eventually become active in ham radio. It is in the middle of town and on a nice ridge over looking the ocean.

I joined the local DX club and within a matter of minutes became very intimidated with most of the members talking about all the CW they were working. One fellow even said that he put his microphone away and can’t find it!!

So, just like a couple of kids, N6DDF and I got on the air every evening, “pounding the brass.” We are only about four miles apart and five watts on 15 meters is not a problem. Of course we reviewed each transmission and reception via two meters. Our wives thought we were nuts.

After about a month of this I mustered enough nerve to go big time, answering an evening CQ on 40 meters. W6SBE came back; chills were running up and down my back. Here I was, giddy as a teenager, with my first CW contact in 40 years and poor Dan was my first victim.

It has been a struggle, but as one of my early contacts recommended, I try to make at least one CW contact.

CW has taken on an interesting lure, it is mystical.

And there is another reason I have become a brass pounder...It is good for your mind. CW forces me to use my brain and makes me think. At this age, that’s a good thing.

There is a camaraderie among operators totally unlike sideband operators. In my past week of contacts, everyone has been very kind and very understanding, even when I send my usual QRS and explain that I am new to CW.

So the title of my article is “Forty Years is a Long Time,” but could also be entitled “A Public Apology” for those fine operators I work. Bear with me, I will become as talented (and as fast) as each of you.

After forty years, I now have the desire.

Arnie, W7BIA

2. Guest

Guest Guest

[​IMG] Arnie, congratulations and welcome back. The virtues of cw are limitless. 73 Roy WA4DOU

3. N5XZ

N5XZ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Good for you! CW may not be necessary, but it's alot of fun! I operate about 90% CW at home and mobile. Try CW mobile after you get your "CW legs" back. It's a blast! I am currently working on "Mobile CW WAS". I wonder how many others have done that?

Allen Brier N5XZ(/M)

4. K3MSB

K3MSB Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi Arnie -- What a tale !

Struggle, acheivement,  camaraderie !

Welcome back !!

73 Mark K3ZX

5. N5JO

N5JO Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Arnie,

Welcome back.  Ham radio is a hobby that never forgets you and that is never forgotten...The
    remaining fragments of our youth still remember the sounds of heterodynes at 2 a.m., the smell
    of ozone from over-taxed power supplies and the excitement of that rare DX that was worked
    when no one but you could be heard by Vlad in oblisk 124.  We chase the memories of youth in
    our return to the hobby, seeking an El Dorado elixir that will let us return to the fantasies and
    excitement as it was felt by 14 year old boys so long ago.

I am VERY glad that another born again ham has returned in time to experience the verve that
    middle aged life is so short on.  

Best 73,

Mike N5JO
    Austin, TX

6. K2WH

K2WH Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

After 32 years, this story could have been written by me.  The details, situations and excuses are almost exactly the same for my ham career.

Reluctantly, I may have to get back into the mode to  complete my W.A.S. on 160 meters because I'm relatively sure only CW will get through to Alaska and Hawaii.  Even having W.A.S. on 80 is not a guarantee to do the same on 160.

At the urging of my mentor N3DD, an admitted code head, I have all the tools (brand new Iambic keyer, 756 pro, antenna etc.) in place to bring my speed up from a dismal 5 WPM to at least 20 WPM.  It will be a challenge and who knows, I may find I missed my calling 30 years ago.

7. K5DH

K5DH XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Arnie,

Congratulations on discovering the joys of Morse!  Don't fret about it taking you forty years.
    What matters is that you are enjoying working CW, and that it's brought some of the magic
    back into your radio-activity.  I've been hearing this from more and more people these days.
    Even holders of the reduced-code licenses are discovering that Morse code is not some kind
    of barrier meant to "keep the riff-raff out".  It's a fun, friendly, classic mode of communication
    that still has a place in our world and in our hobby.

I've been a ham for 25 years, and I've always loved working CW.  My "elmers" were both die
    hard CW men, and they instilled a love for CW in me that will never go away.  I am one of the
    fortunate few to whom learning the Morse code came easily.  That's a gift, one that I am
    thankful for every day.

You're right about the courtesy and camaraderie that exists on the CW bands.  I've always
    felt that way myself.  When a newcomer plugs in a key and tries their hand at Morse for the
    first time, no one jumps on their case and gripes about them being "another damned newbie".
    Instead, the experienced CW ops slow down and help them work their way through those
    nervous jitters and sloppy fist with understanding and patience.  That's the way it should be.
    There's a certain "warmth" that flows between operators during good rag-chew CW contacts
    that I just don't feel on any of the voice modes.  And don't even get me started about the
    CBers on 2-meter FM!

Listen for me on 20m and 40m CW in the evenings, and give me a call if you hear me.  I'll be
    happy to QRS and enjoy a chat with you!  I'll even plug in one of my straight keys and work
    you the old fashioned way if you like!  

Dean Hemphill, K5DH
    Lake Dallas, TX

8. K5ENA

K5ENA Ham Member QRZ Page

Welcome back, Arnie. Your story sure brought back the memories. I was licensed KN5ENA in 1960 and struggled with the code on the novice bands, but made quite a few contacts, even some dx. Upgraded to tecnician and stayed there for years until the 70's when I upgraded to general and, finally to extra. Would not have made it all the way if it were not for local hams encouraging me and working with me on the code, especially the late WB5MPU, Larry Papke, whose son now holds his call.
    Again, welcome back and cu on the air.
    73, John, K5ENA.

9. W6KAT

W6KAT Ham Member QRZ Page

What an interesting story Arnie. I actually got tears in my eyes reading it and thinking back to my youth. I was first licensed in 1957 as a Novice, and have remained semi-active all these years. I too remember the excitment of those first CW 40mtr contacts from the basement of our house, and how my dad thought I was crazy listening to those strange "noises" on that strange looking radio (a BC 348?). I havn't done much CW work these past several years, but when I do, I use the original straight key I had when I first got my license. And I sure agree that CW people are great for comaraderie and courtesy. Some have even slowed down for me during CW contests. Welcome back to this wonderful hobby, and hope to work you one of these days on CW.

Don, W6KAT
    Whittier, CA

10. K3CW

K3CW Ham Member QRZ Page

I was also first licensed back in high school (but that was "only" 20 years ago for me) and I used to work CW almost exclusively. Life got in the way, however, and I've been inactive for most of the last 15 years. So now that I'm getting back into the hobby, I'm in the same boat as you were OM - with my call as an added handicap! You see, no one believes me when I ask them to QRS!
    I'm at about 10WPM now and practicing, practicing...

Chris
    K3CW

11. N8AVX

N8AVX Ham Member QRZ Page

Haven't been on CW for almost 15 years. Still have the old J-38 I started with in 1975. Used an AN/ART-3 with a dynamotor as my first transmitter, the RX was a Navy TSC-14.

For some reason last year at Dayton I went and bought an Iambic key paddle to work with the Icom 746. Got an old Johnson SpeeDX bug sitting on top of the Drake MS-4 speaker, hooked to the TR-4. Sitting next to it is the original J-38.

There is hope yet...

Jim
    N8AVX

12. KC2JCA

KC2JCA Ham Member QRZ Page

This, for me, puts ham radio right into perspective. Wonderful story. Even though I personally have had my license only for 19 days, let me add "Welcome Back!".

30 years ago it was the "code" that kept me from getting my ham ticket, I just didn't get it. Some people say I still don't get it, but that's a different story&#33[​IMG]

So this year, at 45, when I discovered a No Code License, I wanted back in. Funny thing is, since I got my license on the 1st of February, I have been immersed into learning code.

For whatever reason, this time something clicked. I've built a practice oscillator and searched out various methods of learning the code. The thing that worked for me was using Code Quick and following that up with practice sessions at the ridiculously high speed of 25WPM.

Of course, at that speed I am really only copying about 75%, but with that and the combination of having a practice oscillator for sending, I feel confident I will do well on my code test next month.

CW and QRP is for me. My next project, to start soon, is a 40 meter CW rig. Perhaps one day we will have the chance to have a QSO.

Long Live Code.

73, Jim - kc2jca

13. KB4FOS

KB4FOS Ham Member QRZ Page

You go, Arnie!....

This was a well written article, poignantly reminding me of my own roots. I also came up through the Novice ranks. Ohms law was easy compared to an on-the-air contact while your elmer looked on in judgement. He was N4EPD, Mike (I still remember). He was an honest man and wasn't about to turn me loose on the bands without proven efficiency. VE's are bought and sold nowadays like campaign promises. Little honor survives.

Too bad for us all, that the dumbed-down version of proficiency is now accepted as a passport to the bands. The Novice sub-bands are now silent, thanks to our greed and impatience to get instant, RF gratification. Only time will tell if "incentive licensing" ever really provided any incentive at all, or was just a smoke screen for inevitable failure.

JaxJoe
    SpectrumArc

14. NG7Z

NG7Z Ham Member QRZ Page

Arnie,
    While reading your wonderful post, memories just like yours came back. As a teen in the sixties, CW was my only mode and all I could afford was a homebrew 6146 40 meter transmitter my Dad helped me build. Those crystal controlled rag chews often were several kcs apart. Later, after many mowed lawns in the local neighborhood, I bought a Knight T-60 and even later, a Heathkit SB something transceiver. If you're interested, visit http://www.arrl.org/?news_list_off=60 and look for a web article I wrote titled, "Low Power, Crummy Antenna". I think you'll enjoy it. Welcome back and hope to hear you soon.
    Paul NG7Z

15. Midwest

Midwest QRZ Member

What a fine story to show the value of learning different aspects of the hobby.  Whether one chooses amateur radio for technical, social, service, or personal satisfaction reasons, this wonderful hobby provides rewarding opportunities for fulfillment.

CW does seem to draw many amateurs who just like to relax and enjoy a hobby without getting involved in controversy.  Many of the nice guys and gals are found on that mode.

An experienced hand will never object to a QRS request but may keep the QSO a bit more abbreviated than usual.  For many years a large number of Extras have used mostly the novice bands.  They can go pretty fast but enjoy CW at a more comfortable pace.  They also like to welcome newer hands and enjoy "The Dance" of simple QSO patterns.

Each facet of amateur radio has its proponents and they are neither right nor wrong, they simply have their preferences and others have no right to rate one facet as being higher level than another.  We need to remember to keep the frame around the picture of the hobby large enough for all to fit comfortably.

Again, nice letter !!  [​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.