ad: Retevis-1

FOC contest this weekend?

Discussion in 'Contests, DXpeditions, QSO Parties, Special Events' started by SP5CKI, Feb 1, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. SP5CKI

SP5CKI Ham Member QRZ Page

Hello, where can I find information about the FOC contest this weekend ?

2. W5BIB

W5BIB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Here ya go...
    https://g4foc.org/contests

3. WW2PT

WW2PT Ham Member QRZ Page

“During this contest, Friday to Sunday, weekend, members are trying to work members and would prefer not to be called by non-members (since a QSO with a non-member can't be counted).”

Apparently the First-Class Operators’ Club has no use for us second- and third-class rubes.

K1XS, WD9IKW and W5BIB like this.
  4. AI5DH

AI5DH Ham Member

Another worthless contest by elitist no one cares about. Geez not even allowed to make contact with members outside the group because it does not COUNT. Be a good day to start jamming.

KA2FIR and WW2PT like this.
  5. WW2PT

I thought about working everyone I hear calling “CQ FOC” at 10 wpm and sending “001” as my member number just to cause some pearl-clutching amongst our betters.

6. SP5CKI

Hmm they idea of organizing an event, which is "only for ..." does not sound too nicely for me. Nor up to civilized rules of present day.

At least those "better ones" should not occupy the whole band then. On 7MHz I cannot find any empty spot where I could practice my third-class skills.

W5BIB and WW2PT like this.
  7. KA0HCP

KA0HCP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

The "Second Class Operators Club" is open for all! https://www.qsl.net/soc/
    Motto: "Because so few are really First Class"
    Prosign: "AGN?"

"Competence is tolerated, but not encouraged." (Chris, SOC#436)

[​IMG]

K1XS, KA2FIR, N1OOQ and 3 others like this.
  8. K7TRF

K7TRF Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Wayne and Garth on reading the contest rules:

[​IMG]

W5BIB and WW2PT like this.
  9. KA0HCP

KA0HCP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

10. W5BIB

W5BIB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

WW2PT likes this.
  11. WW5F

WW5F Ham Member QRZ Page

I still haven't found a FOC member willing to endorse or "recommend" me so I can join.

WW2PT likes this.
  12. WW2PT

You obviously don’t meet their standards. You’ll need to think more highly of yourself before they consider you.

13. SP5CKI

14. SP5CKI

In fact, from my perspective, as a newcomer to this hobby, I would appreciate someone coordinated the whole contests schedule. And people could use contest ID (from time to time at least?) when sending TEST - what as I understand is recommended or even expected from operators. But the practice is hardly anyone does it. So I turn the radio on, listen to tons of TESTs and start guessing at https://www.contestcalendar.com/weeklycont.php which one could it be.
    Usually I am able to guess which one I am hearing, but sometimes it is very confusing. Two weeks ago there were two contests from Europe - UK and Hungary - running literally at the same time and both were having active participants. Very few operators were using contest ID. I think I messed up quite a few serial numbers.

KA2FIR and WW2PT like this.
  15. AI5DH

AI5DH Ham Member

Now if they were smart and stealthy could post in Morse Code

WW2PT likes this.