ad: QSLWorks-1

First CW QSO made via POTA

Discussion in 'Videos and Podcasts' started by N0HR, Aug 4, 2022.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
  1. N0HR

N0HR Ham Member QRZ Page

Matt, KN4YTA, sent me an email after my final QSO at K-2281 Big Creek State Park in Iowa. Our QSO was his first ever CW contact. How cool is that?

Here's what it sounded like on my end. It had been a long day for me and it was clearly time for me to go home. His QRP signal from NC on 40m was getting tough to pull out of the noise (and I was tired at that point)... but I'm so glad we made it work. Congrats Matt!!

Do you recall your first CW QSO??? Mine was in 1980 using my dad's Atlas 210x.

WR2E, N2ICZ, KJ5T and 1 other person like this.
  2. PD2R

PD2R Ham Member QRZ Page

It must have been a very long day...:D To tell you the truth, I thing we have all been there at some point, I know I have :D Kudos for putting it online and keeping it real!
    Nice video though but maybe turn the RX audio a bit down for the next video.

N0HR likes this.
  3. KJ5T

KJ5T Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

He did a fine job for his first CW contact and it's amazing how much POTA and SOTA has inspired more people to learn code.

The first CW contact I can remember was in October 2005 when I worked my friend DJ1YFK (Now DJ5CW) on 20M. I sadly didn't stick with it and didn't start re-learning code again until 15 years later.

BTW, nice CW Morse key, I just received my new mini one too which I will use for POTA as well.

K4PP, N0HR and W5ESE like this.
  4. N0HR

N0HR Ham Member QRZ Page

I was so tired by that point, that this was not my best work. And I'm convinced you can hear better in the video than I could live. However, I just thought it was very nice that it was his first CW QSO and I had that captured on video so I wanted to post it to encourage him and others to try CW (and it's ok to make mistakes - we all do).

5. K7JSG

K7JSG Ham Member QRZ Page

Great job. Keep doing those POTA activations :)