ad: IslandMagic-1

FFC Rules to Elminate Vanity Call Sign Fee and GMRS License Fee

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KB3ZIM, May 23, 2015.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
  1. W4INT

W4INT Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Nothing is Free... I am sure the costs will be recovered elsewhere. Maybe in an overall license fee increase. Spread the joy Per-se

:)

2. W4KVW

W4KVW Ham Member QRZ Page

Many of us have our Call Sign on our License Plate because we can.It's our choice & just one Freedom we are allowed that should be no concern of yours since it is none of your business & does not cost you anything.Better question is why do you even care & is it any of your business? Guess you have a miserable lonely life & need something too worry about? Just FYI.I also have caps a few shirts & a wind breaker with my call sign on then & that should just about push you over the top. hehe LOL :rolleyes:

Clayton
    W4KVW

3. KF7PCL

KF7PCL Ham Member QRZ Page

I am genuinely amazed people are still sour about this. The other option would be far less new hams and the pool of licensees shrinking
    It should be free if you do, but there is going to be a rush on vanity calls as was mentioned earlier.
    I agree. There should be no extra charge to renew a vanity. It's one thing to have a fee to get it issued but it seems pointless to charge a fee for every renewal.

These forums seem to be a testament that amateur radio operators are one of the most opinionated groups out there.

4. W4RLR

W4RLR Ham Member QRZ Page

The horse is still dead. Why do you insist on beating it? International agreements require amateur operators to be licensed. You won't see the FCC cutting loose amateur radio and making it license free, it would be counter to international agreements. Further, many governments have recognized that the use of a single digital mode (Morse) does not necessarily make that operator a "better" operator. The last commercial operation that used Morse went QRT years ago. Modern commercial radio now uses a plethora of digital modes, none of which are required to master in order to gain an amateur license. Why should Morse get special treatment over any other digital mode. If you make the argument for Morse proficiency for advanced licenses, you can also use that same argument for proficiency in PSK31, Olivia, etc. The still vocal minority that states the Morse requirement being dropped will "kill" amateur radio is proven wrong by the growth of the hobby in the U.S. since the Morse requirement was dropped. And in spite of the naysayers, interest in Morse has increased, as people WANT to learn it as opposed to being FORCED to learn it because of "tradition".

Last edited: May 27, 2015
  5. W4RLR

W4RLR Ham Member QRZ Page

The horse is still dead. Why do you insist on beating it?

6. N4GST

N4GST Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

All I'm gonna say here is, If I have to pay a fee to renew my VANITY call sign, then I will without reservation. And as far as having my call on my plate on my truck, well that STAYS as well, cost or not.

W7GST

7. KG5DUY

KG5DUY Ham Member QRZ Page

Dollars and sense

Three steps forward, two steps back. Hear! Hear! for progress!

The failure of public service fee structures is that it becomes a priviledge for the priviledged.
    FCC should be commended for actions of simplification and downsizing.

Sure, raising the fee may offset the average cost,
    but the cost of processing is dependent upon the desireablity of the Callsign.
    ie: Personnel required to record, administer, console, return checks of failed applicants.

To reduce Government size and cost, why not strive to have callsigns self-regulated?
    and yet, ARRL monitored, FCC monitored, VEC monitored, other perhaps international cooperative, etc.
    Amateurs, polymathic on the whole, could certainly devise a fair, inexpensive method.
    Preferred candidates weighted perhaps upon years, logs, contributions, and license class
    rather than income?

A reward for excellence and advancing the art rather than a status symbol of affluence.

Apologies to the priviledged, federalists, elitists, anyone else offended ....etc.

8. W4AMP

W4AMP Ham Member QRZ Page

The FCC is going to rake in millions with Internet fees and regulation.

9. NL7W

NL7W Ham Member QRZ Page

I could not agree more. :)

10. WJ4U

WJ4U Ham Member QRZ Page

No we're not!!! :D

11. KD5RGJ

KD5RGJ Ham Member QRZ Page

What is wrong with a call sign car tag?

12. KG4RRN

KG4RRN Ham Member QRZ Page

As Ronald Reagan once said, " more government is the problem..."
    Now, if we could only get the IRS to drop taxes for the first $50,000 of income.
    That would truly be a miracle.
    I will take my free block of cheese now....

13. KB0TT

KB0TT Ham Member QRZ Page

Shack

I checked your BIO .... You have an impressive system to be sure...

I see why you went the vanity route ..... That KE4KVW just would not look right .....

I must have just missed your key / keyer .... Sorry about that ......No biggie ....

It is , after all , none of my business...

Good luck to you ... Seriously ......... Keep truckin..... Get that EXTRA ....

14. KB0TT

" Bet you think this song is about you , don't cha ? "

$'

15. KB0TT

1) Unless you have a PO Box , CROOKS can find out where you LIVE .
    They already know you have radios...... $ $ ?

Why advertise ? Being cool ?