ad: Radclub22-1

FCC to Host First Responders Summit

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by N0JAA, Mar 5, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. KC8VWM

KC8VWM Ham Member QRZ Page

What the heck does Osama Bin Laden, George Bush, Hillary Clinton, Liberalism, Conservatives, Republicans or the White House have anything to do with this topic of discussion?

... Seems every thread turns into a non related discussion about politics and has absolutely nothing whatsoever to do with the original post.

Mabe it's just me... Or is it?

2. W9WHE

W9WHE Ham Member QRZ Page

"Based on this, it couldn't be could it that the above quote is a case of misplaced anger........"

EXACTLY why its time for the DSM-V to be updated to recognize Angry Intollerant Liberal Syndrome (AILS). To help all those Angry Intollerant Liberals (AIL's) work through all their misplaced anger!

We hams need to look out for eachother. I care...don't you?
    I think its time for a new Federal program. We could raise taxes on rich liberals like Kennedy, Clinton, Gore, Obama and Pelosi to pay for the new Federal program. Come on, won't you support your fellow hams? At least do it for the children.....won't you?

3. W1WDX

W1WDX Ham Member QRZ Page

I think we should talk about the code drop now!

4. WA5BEN

WA5BEN Ham Member QRZ Page

Just a minor correction: I was in Iraq when Saddam USED some of his considerable stock of WMD. There was ZERO question that he used poison gas among the media guys there -- including the ones with whom I had daily personal contact: ABC, NBC, CBS, and International Herald Tribune. We sat at the same bar, ate at the same restaurant, and (quite carefully) swapped stories -- all under the watchful eye of Saddam's secret police. (One can quite easily speak one answer for the microphones while communicating an entirely opposite answer with a pre-arranged signal.)

I know many of the civilian, military, and intelligence leaders in the Middle East, and to a man they will tell you that Saddam was THE most destabilizing influence in the area.

My pre-9/11 worst fear was Saddam Hussein aligned with the tiny madman in North Korea. The tiny madman still scares me one HECK of a lot more than Osama Bin-Laden scares me.

Killing or capturing Osama Bin-Laden might actually make it more difficult to fight Al Quaida. I will leave it to those with intelligence backgrounds to consider why....

5. WA5BEN

WA5BEN Ham Member QRZ Page

6. KW0U

KW0U Ham Member QRZ Page

Look, this Administration is not friendly to the little guy. Take a gander at www.aopa.org, where the airlines seem to be writing parts of Bush's budget that, if passed, would effectively destroy general aviation.

Two cases show the FCC's attitude: First, in 2001 it wrecked Clinton's proposal for low power neighborhood FM stations. (The National Association of Broadcasters sent every member of Congress a recording of AM stations interfering with each other and said this is what would happen if it was allowed.) Two, let's not forget BPL, who is pushing that, and their friends on the Commission.

Bottom line: We hams better show we can be of some use in an emergency, or the hobby will be marginalized and ignored. Worst case, we could begin to lose spectrum.

While I'm far beyond being a Bush basher, this is a bigger issue than political views. We've got to be seen as both relevant and effective, for emergency work. If not there won't be another chance.

7. W1WDX

W1WDX Ham Member QRZ Page

_ . _ . _ _ . _

8. W5CMP

W5CMP Guest

From a off roader,By law i have to carry road flares-shovel-rope-fire extinguisher-blanket's-hand ax-first aid kit-torch.I also carry a rescue mirror,MRE'S- water proof matche's,I now this don't have nothing to do with the first Responder's but it's all the same.73 from w5cmp jeep freak.:D

9. K4JF

K4JF Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Yep. It was a Democrat Congress that passed a law that restricted scanners on cellphone frequencies (on the silly notion that people had an "expectation of privacy" when using a 2-way radio).

10. NC5P

NC5P Ham Member QRZ Page

Please excuse my previous post's sarcasm but;

Yes, I am very concerned about what may come up at this conference that could erode our hobby. You cannot deny that there's an aire of suspicion upon everybody in this country today. These are the sort of meetings that get legislation started. We do need to keep informed if anything bad comes up.

11. KC8VWM

KC8VWM Ham Member QRZ Page

12. NL7W

NL7W Ham Member QRZ Page

I'd be surprised if amateur radio is even mentioned at all. We few hams, who are mostly involved in secondary and tertiary communications support roles, as compared to the vast number of federal, state, and local LE, Fire, and EMS first responder agencies, are not really germane to the topics planned for this meeting. As a recent (past) telecommunications program manager within the NIJ and DoJ, I can say, with some certainty, the meeting will address what's on the agenda:

- Current federal, state, and local government agencies and public safety initiatives
    --- Discussion surrounding visible interoperable telecom projects bridging previous fed/state/local inter-agency communications gaps. What could the FCC do to facilitate current and future efforts?

- The migration or transitioning from analog to digital (IP-based) radio systems -- creating highly flexible, secure, integrated (interoperable), wireless (VHF through microwave) voice and data networks.
    --- What are public safety agencies' needs? What changes to FCC processes can enable technology standards and equipment development, to include future cognitive radio systems?

- Beyond Voice - Broadband Applications for First Responders
    --- Several ideas (spectrum & sharing/alliance issues) are being floated today regarding public safety related high-speed broadband data transmissions -- these will be covered to some degree.

For years now, other federal government agencies and programs have addressed these RF-related interoperability issues. Having the FCC involved at this new, higher-level is good for the Nation. It is the government though, and only time will bear fruit. If this is the first meeting of its kind within the FCC, many more will follow as they prepare to better facilitate future public safety interoperable communications. It's certainly high-time for the Commission to become actively involved with the complicated political and technology driven processes at-hand. I wish them well.

13. WL7JJ

WL7JJ Ham Member QRZ Page

For those of you that aren't in the Public safety Industry, (Fire, EMS, Police, Rescue) You may not be aware of the National Incident Managment System. NIMS (http://www.fema.gov/emergency/nims/index.shtm) Basically anyone that receives any sort of Federal Aid must be in compliance. It isn't a very difficult concept. Pretty much use plain language and know your place in a response of any size.

14. KW0U

KW0U Ham Member QRZ Page

IF you go to http://www.training.fema.gov/EMIWeb/IS/crslist.asp
    there are lots of free online courses in emergency management, including the National Emergency Management System. Some of them are now becoming required for emergency planners/responders, but anyone in the world is welcome to take them.

15. W9WHE

W9WHE Ham Member QRZ Page

NC5P writes:

"You cannot deny that there's an aire of suspicion upon everybody in this country today".

Only if you espouse "death to America" or are a liberal that supports someone that espouses "death to America". Otherwise, there is no "aire of suspicion".

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.