ad: ProAudio-1

FCC proposes new filing fee structure, new fees for ham radio

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KU3N, Aug 27, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-2
  1. KA3ZAI

KA3ZAI Ham Member QRZ Page

50 bucks for a licence to operate on bands that have gone the way of CB radio. I wouldn't renew.

2. N2EY

N2EY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

No. It would require changes to the Communications Act.

Sure - because Canada isn't subject to the US Communications Act.

They have Universal Health Care in Canada too.....

That's because your GROL, GMDSS, and Radiotelegraph are all OPERATOR licenses. None of them authorize you to have a STATION.

They're not my rules, they're US rules that go back to before FRC/FCC existed.

I'm not saying I agree with them, I'm just explaining them.

Why do so many amateurs not understand this?

And....be careful what you wish for. The Communications Act could be changed to allow lifetime amateur licenses....with an up front fee of, say, $1000......

Last edited: Aug 28, 2020
    WQ4G and KU4X like this.
  3. NU4R

NU4R XML Subscriber QRZ Page

SOOOOOOO....

WE are EXPECTED to VOLUNTEER for disaster relief....GET TO "WHEREVER" TO ASSIST & COVER ALL OUR OWN EXPENSES IN DISASTER RELIEF...AND NOW PAY FOR THE LICENSE REQUIRED TO DO ALL THIS?!?

I needed a new HOBBY since OBVIOUSLY the Amateur Radio Service NO LONGER EXISTS!

Back to motocross!

K0OLD, KE4ITL, WB6DJI and 1 other person like this.
  4. AF5Q

AF5Q Ham Member QRZ Page

Ill pay the 50 dollars for 10 years; however, look out fellow hams, looks like the final assault has started on our fine hobby.

WQ4G likes this.
  5. K6AVP

K6AVP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

IMO, there should be no fee for the initial license, but I would be happy to pay one for renewals - hopefully one proportional to actual FCC cost of running AR administration. The first license should be good for a limited amount of time, say 1 - 2 year, to give someone the opportunity to see what the hobby is about and if they want to continue.

6. N2EY

What percentage of US radio amateurs actually provide "disaster relief"?

KC1DR, N3FAA and K6VOX like this.
  7. KK4GGL

KK4GGL XML Subscriber QRZ Page

What percentage do you fell necessary?

N6ATF likes this.
  8. W9JEF

W9JEF QRZ Lifetime Member #571 Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

§ 97.1 Basis and purpose.
    The rules and regulations in this part are designed to provide an amateur radio service having a fundamental purpose as expressed in the following principles:
    (a) Recognition and enhancement of the value of the amateur service to the public as a voluntary noncommercial communication service, particularly with respect to providing emergency communications.
    (b) Continuation and extension of the amateur’s proven ability to contribute to the advancement of the radio art.
    (c) Encouragement and improvement of the amateur service through rules which provide for advancing skills in both the communication and technical phases of the art.
    (d) Expansion of the existing reservoir within the amateur radio service of trained operators, technicians, and electronics experts.
    (e) Continuation and extension of the amateur’s unique ability to enhance international goodwill.

https://www.govinfo.gov/content/pkg/CFR-2009-title47-vol5/pdf/CFR-2009-title47-vol5-part97.pdf

KB8LPZ and N6ATF like this.
  9. N2EY

This question deserves some further explanation.

I am NOT in favor of license fees for US amateurs. But if we are going to oppose them, we have to do so in a sound way. Making a bad argument is worse than making no argument at all.

The answer to the above question is already known by those who want license fees. They know that while US radio amateurs do provide important "disaster relief" and "emergency communications" services, the percentage who do so is VERY small - a few percent at best.

They know that, for the vast majority of US hams, Amateur Radio is a hobby, a diversion, an avocation, a sport. They also know that improvements in technology and infrastructure in the wake of 9/11 have greatly increased the availability of communications alternatives.

But there's more.....

Step back and take a look at US Amateur Radio TODAY, in 2020. Look at the shack and vehicle pictures here on the Zed and elsewhere. Note how many times you see late-model manufactured transceivers, shack computers with multiple screens, linear amplifiers, towers, beams, manufactured verticals, all sorts of other technology, mobile and portable setups that clearly cost hundreds if not thousands. Note the walls covered with framed awards, each of which involved a fee. Note the late-model vehicles with call-letter license plates and enough antennas to make a porcupine jealous. Read the many, many posts where amateurs talk about other hobbies such as boats, firearms, motorcycles, cars, fishing, sailing. hunting, etc.

Then try to sell the idea that "hams can't afford $5 a year for a license!" See how far that gets ya.

Sure, there are hams who don't have modest setups. And $50 as an entry fee just to use a Baofeng or a QCX is a bit steep, particularly for young people. But the vast majority of existing hams can come up with $5 a year.

So it seems that a better approach is something such as "the first license is free" or maybe some sort of discount for those under (or over) a certain age.

K7GYB, WQ4G, N0TZU and 1 other person like this.
  10. AC5Q

AC5Q Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Lifetime license would certainly be nice but I suspect will not happen. $50 will keep some out and cause others to let their license lapse. I will continue to pay for mine. I paid when I got them and then for each upgrade. Now that we do not have to pay, I have enjoyed that. I will go back to paying if that is what it takes. I have to pay for everything else. It is all just an individual privilege tax. Haven't you guys heard, the taxes are needed to provide the free stuff to all the folks. 73, ac5q

11. K6MGK

K6MGK Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Guys and gals we all have a few grand of gear in our shacks including the antennas, why complain about 50.00.

N3FAA likes this.
  12. N3AB

N3AB Subscriber QRZ Page

Jim, I hear crickets chirping.

WB6DJI, KC1DR, N0TZU and 2 others like this.
  13. KY5U

KY5U Ham Member QRZ Page

Renew for free 1x3 and 2X3 calls, renew or new vanity 1X2 calls $500 and 2X1 calls $300, new licenses cost $100 for Tech and General. $200 for Extra.

Badda bing, badda boom!

14. WE4E

WE4E Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

"But wait, there's more!"

[​IMG]

N3AB likes this.
  15. K4DL

K4DL XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I doubt that anyone actively involved in the hobby would let 1.4 cents per day stop them. I do not believe anyone motivated enough to study and pass the exam will let this stop them either. $50 is nothing today. If your hobby is not worth $50 every 10 years then you are not really serious about it.

KX4O, K8PG and N0TZU like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.