ad: cq2k-1

FCC Orders Amateur Access to 3.5 GHz Band to “Sunset”

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by AD8BU, Oct 8, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
  1. KI4POT

KI4POT Ham Member QRZ Page

I'd be willing to experiment with the higher bands, but I don't know anyone local that's into them, so doing that work would be like the sound of one hand clapping. :)

Then there's the equipment issue. I'm not even sure how to get started there. I know there are transverters and such, but I don't eve know what I don't know at this stage.

Also, I'm still kind of fascinated and in awe of how the atmosphere and sun affect HF. I haven't yet gotten bored or jaded with that aspect. I'm really into portable and I love how I can set up my station on the same mountain top multiple times and maybe hear a guy in Scotland one time and next time everyone is booming in from the Western US, or how I can make contact with the same guy on the other side of the country and get a 22 report from one summit and a 55 from another just 150 miles away.

Chris

K7LZR, KD8DWO and N3FAA like this.
  2. AC4HP

AC4HP Ham Member QRZ Page

3. AC4HP

AC4HP Ham Member QRZ Page

So the

4. WJ4U

WJ4U Subscriber QRZ Page

^ Don't leave us hanging!

5. NN3W

NN3W Ham Member QRZ Page

You mean like Thales that wanted 2 meters to be reallocated for commercial services three years ago?

PY2NEA likes this.
  6. PY2NEA

PY2NEA Ham Member QRZ Page

But let them debate for ages, let them be too obsessed with GHz to glance at HF.

7. KM1H

KM1H Ham Member QRZ Page

I dont trust the ARRL....period. While they will appear to fight for 3.5 they will be silently pushing the FCC to give away HF frequencies to undeserving lowest class licensees.

DM2TT, KE8USA, K7GYB and 2 others like this.
  8. WT4W

WT4W Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm curious as to how many people in this discussion have used the 3.5 GHz band in the past year.

While I have a strong distaste for losing spectrum to commercial interests, from a practical standpoint it seems that hams should be strategic about choosing battles. It just doesn't make a lot of sense to fight like hell for something that's rarely used, if indeed that's the case (I honestly don't know).

KC0KEK and N1OOQ like this.
  9. WD4IGX

WD4IGX Ham Member QRZ Page

And that happened, didn't it?

10. NN3W

NN3W Ham Member QRZ Page

No, it didn't happen. Your proposition was that two meters was undesirable because it was "too low to be that useful for most of what commercial interests might want." Its clear though that ,contrary to your assertion, a commercial interest -did- want it and that it took the concerted efforts of DARC, RSGB and IARU R1 to defeat the proposal.

11. W5OTR

W5OTR Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Maybe we can get some more hf frequencies coming? More HF spectrum is going unused.... sure would like a real 60 meter band.... or a bigger 30 meter one...

KR3DX likes this.
  12. K6CLS

K6CLS Ham Member QRZ Page

Russian delegates are against 60m allocations. Their field people (spies) still use it.

30m is kust about right, by international agreement...

Do we really want more useless 12m allocation?

15m and 6m are huuuuge allocations

13. K4RGN

K4RGN Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Actually there was a lot of 450 MHz mobile phone usage in Europe at the outset. Bandwidth limitations for data pushed the ordinary mobile phone to higher frequencies, but in many countries 400-450 remains highly contested. It's perfect for low data rate IoT devices like smart meters that must have 99% coverage. I'm surprised that U.S. hams have been able to hold onto the low end of our 70 cm band.

I suspect hams will eventually lose part of 10 GHz. How much, remains to be seen.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2020
    KC0KEK likes this.
  14. AJ6KZ

AJ6KZ Ham Member QRZ Page

15. WA3VJB

WA3VJB Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Who remembers when United Parcel Service successfully made a stab to take a piece of our 220 MHz band?
    And then decided they were not going to use it anyway!

KT2I, KC2PMM, KM1H and 2 others like this.