"Fast Track" Spectrum Reallocation Proposed - NTIA

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by K0KP, Nov 16, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
  1. NA4IT

NA4IT Ham Member QRZ Page

Only one problem. everything that is "wireless broadband for rural America" has been installed in major cities. Not one tower has been placed anywhere in RURAL America.

Read up for yourself.

NA4IT

2. KC8YHW

KC8YHW Ham Member QRZ Page

I have to agree I live out in the boonies. No Cable, No DSL, Noisy Copper best speed a modem can hook up is 30K. We get TV from a bird and OTA. WISP you have got to be kidding, There is one provider, his prices reflect his monopoly status, Five other companies are close but not close enough.

It seems that WISPs would rather fight over customers than go where there is little comp. Cell Phone companies seem the best bet, Again not much help, Two companies claim they serve us, NOT EVEN a small red bar. One says that they do not how ever their service department is looking into getting the signal that last 1/2 mile.

3. K0KP

K0KP Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi Ed W1RFI -

Why the "gloom and doom" comment? This post is simply provides information from the NTIA on a topic likely to be of interest to the amateur radio community. Seems like a knee jerk reaction but perhaps that was not your intention.

73 Rex K0KP

4. KC8YHW

KC8YHW Ham Member QRZ Page

Fast Track" Spectrum Reallocation Proposed - NTIA

Just for giggles I searched on "wireless broadband for rural America" You guessed it Yup BPL I thought that had died.

Now they are claiming that the new stuff is adaptive, meaning if it sees a signal it will not use that freq. Well how sensitive is it will it see the DX station I just heard, or come on and bury the band. What about the guys on Maritime Mobile that may be crying for help will it hear them?

Hurricane watch nets, Earth quake nets and such will this adaptive BPL see them or just raise the noise flour?

5. AA9VI

AA9VI Ham Member QRZ Page

The VHF TV frequencies are still in use in some areas of the country. Most broadcasters moved to UHF because the digital TV has less atmospheric noise causing less breakups in UHF. Some broadcasters were forced to go to VHF since the available UHF TV frequencies had been taken or they thought it would be a cheaper A-D conversion to stay on VHF. The band has by no means been abandoned of given up for the highest bidder.

6. K4KYV

K4KYV Subscriber QRZ Page

One proposal is to reallocate channels 5 and 6 to expand the present FM broadcast band, possibly to accommodate all-digital transmission and to offer smaller local AM broadcasters some relief from the congestion of the present MW band.

It probably will never happen; makes too much sense.

7. KB3X

KB3X QRZ Member QRZ Page

>Nowadays, you have to be practically up under the UHF digital channels antenna to get good over-the-air reception. Any farther out and you have to have cable or satellite.

Maybe that's a good thing. Broadcast TV may not be a practical use of the limited RF spectrum when it can be delivered my more efficient means.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.