ad: Alphaant-1

Fast & Easy Truck Antenna Mount

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by WJ6F, Jul 7, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. WJ6F

WJ6F Ham Member QRZ Page

MFJ-2822 Truck Trailer Hitch Antenna Mount is one of the easiest ways to mount an HF antenna! The MFJ-2822 comes with a "gumdrop" mount to allow for mounting any kind of antenna, such as Ham Sticks, Chameleon Hybrid Mini/Micro or even Alpha Antenna. You can also use the MFJ-2822 Truck Trailer Hitch Antenna Mount for VHF/UHF antennas. The MFJ-2822 Truck Trailer Hitch Antenna Mount comes with a preinstalled SO-239 and wing-nut for a ground strap.

Copy of CrankIR.png

NA4RA likes this.
  2. KM4KGN

KM4KGN XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Make it yourself...$20 and a little drilling.

K7CJS, N3UPM, AK5B and 4 others like this.
  3. WJ6F

WJ6F Ham Member QRZ Page

Well, knowing how poorly I can cut paper in a straight line it is probably best if I not attempt to make one.... In all seriousness though, it does look simple enough to make.

KG6BXW likes this.
  4. K4SEH

K4SEH Ham Member QRZ Page

Nice video Brother. SMB

K9UR, KG5THG, KC1DRW and 1 other person like this.
  5. WJ6F

WJ6F Ham Member QRZ Page

SMB

KC1DRW likes this.
  6. W8RID

W8RID Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Looks great for the light weight antennas. I would come up with something else for a bigger screwdriver antenna.

WJ6F likes this.
  7. KG5THG

KG5THG Ham Member QRZ Page

How easy is it to use the so-239 on the under side of the unit?

WJ6F likes this.
  8. WJ6F

WJ6F Ham Member QRZ Page

I found it pretty easy to use even though I have fat sausage fingers

KG5THG likes this.
  9. WJ6F

WJ6F Ham Member QRZ Page

Fully agree. I wouldn't use it mobile with much of anything heavier than a Ham Stick.

KE0DM and N5JLD like this.
  10. WN1MB

WN1MB Ham Member QRZ Page

Made a similar arrangement out of scrap wood to hold a length of PVC pipe in which I stuck a little Zebco Dock Demon fishing pole. This served as the far end support of a night time only, stealth wire antenna. I already had the fishing pole - for fishing, of all things - so the cost was virtually zero. It looked very primitive, but that didn't matter due to it being deployed in the darkness of night.

Apparently MFJ hasn't made one of these for the popular 1-1/4" receivers - let alone the less common 2-1/2" and 3" sizes.

I wouldn't even think about using the 2822 for anything but stationary operating. Label me prejudiced, but "aluminum" and "MFJ" don't spell "rugged" in my world - at least in this particular application. YMMV.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2020
    W5CJA, WJ6F, W2ZF and 1 other person like this.
  11. ZL1PDT

ZL1PDT Ham Member QRZ Page

upload_2020-7-9_6-16-10.png upload_2020-7-9_6-16-39.png upload_2020-7-9_6-17-19.png Here my wat to mount Hi-Gain or Hustler portable or any simalar mounts,Pieter
    ZL1PDT/ ZL1LIG,

AK5B and WN1MB like this.
  12. VE3YF

VE3YF Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

An Aluminum mount will not do a very good job holding a HF antenna of any kind. Far too much flexing even in the wind when stationary and then the mount will just break. Also why would you want to place a VHF Antenna on your Trailer hitch, kind of low in height, when it should be up high.

73 De Mike
    VE3YF

N3UPM likes this.
  13. W5TTP

W5TTP Ham Member QRZ Page

Have one. It is easy to mount a simple antenna to the hitch. A pain to move whenever you need to open the tailgate. For the newbees, that is if you have a truck. Also, the coax connection takes a beating in poor wx. Finally, good grounding it to the vehicle takes a bit of "thought". It has been used a few times with ok results. It is what it is.

K0MAN likes this.
  14. VE3YF

VE3YF Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

That is why why you spend the extra bucks and get a mount that will actually tilt. I have been using a Tarheel mount for a few years and it has done the trick and the 3/8"-24 Stud and SO-239 are Stainless and have survived all seasons and road salt.

73 De Mike
    VE3YF

W4KVW likes this.
  15. K6YFE

K6YFE Ham Member QRZ Page

You can eliminate the 'slop' (1:22) by inserting small nylon wedges which you can purchase at most hareware stores.