ad: wmr-1

Fall from tower kills three

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by Guest, Jan 4, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
  1. KG4EFA

KG4EFA Ham Member QRZ Page

Man that was stupid! That foreman needs to go up on charges of reckless endangerment. You wouldn't catch me in a contraption being hauled up into the air by a pickup truck. Rick, KG4EFA.

2. AD5U

AD5U Ham Member QRZ Page

I'd bet the uncle talked the nephew and his friends into helping him out. Probably with promises of big money for a quick, easy job. I'd agree with those that think a lawsuit is in order. I'd disagree that we need more 'laws' to prevent these types of incidents, there are plenty already in place. A few agressive prosecutions of culpable parties involved would help though.
    I once had a Chinese Fortune Cookie that said: "How come common sense is so uncommon?". I've observed this to be painfully true, such as in this tower accident. Had any one of the four involved applied "an ounce of common sense" it wouldn't have happened...
    I'd hate to be the uncle who killed these three...

3. VE7IBV

VE7IBV Ham Member QRZ Page

unnecessary as it obvously was There were many things wrong with this process. But often we do what has to be done with whats available. I feel for the families of those lost to this tragic event. I know to well the hazzards of tower work Nothing short of the best equipment is acceptable and safety is put before all other considerations .
    I am one of the lucky ones I having completd the job began to prepare to descend the tower put all my tools safely out of the way of catching on the tower and opened my main safety belt leaned back into the secondry for a brief second and it failed. The rest was gravity. I broke too many vertebra to be surgically opperable and Subsequently I lost my career and sadly my lifestyle. God was gentle with me but these past 12 years have been nothing short of hell for myself and My family. Ive climbed since and I dont fear the height, only the equipment and the people around me. ALL have to respect the place in the sky we will be and how we are to be safe.
    I lived to tell . These men did not and we can blame others and equipment. But esentially We are responsible for our own safety once we set on foot on the bottom rung of that tower.
    There are industry codes for such work. But the HAm Must set his own . a 10 year old well used OLD faithfull Safety harness is not a Faithfull harness ANd an inexperienced or co worker that will not take instructon precicely up that tower is no help, and may endanger you both. Why I am alive I do not know! Absolute luck!
    I hope we all learn one thing We climb to erect a structure in the sky NOT to become another in the heavens . Work safe cannot be stressed enough.

Peter VE7IBV.

4. N8PCA

N8PCA Ham Member QRZ Page

What a tragic story. I'm sure there was much litigation soon to follow. Clearly appropriate safety precautions were ignored. This is a good example of why I dont climb any more. All I have is a fifty foot Rohn 25G tower.. but its enough. The fall wont get ya but the sudden stop will. I am no longer comfortable with any climbing as I was in a nasty car accident several years ago. Since then, my back and neck are prone to "going out" without any warning. Obviously, a tower would be a bad place to be if it kicked out. So.. I must pay some one when needed. Better safe than dead. I hope the familys are ok these days..

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.