ad: chuckmartin

Extra Class - With or without Experience?

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by N4INU, Sep 25, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. N4INU

N4INU QRZ Member QRZ Page

W7RJR writes "It is my understanding that the Extra Class license was intended to
    be the elite class license. Here are some expectations I make of those that qualify for this elite class of operator:

- They will have "mastered" the art and technique of amateur radio so that they may demonstrate such to lesser class licensees.
    - They will have acquired sufficient operating and technical expertise that they fully "understand" the basic principles.

Here is the point I am trying to make. When an extra class licensee is unable to build or erect a simple dipole antenna, I question the elite status of this individual.

When an Extra Class licensee complains to me (a lowly Advanced Class)
    that my transmissions are causing RFI to his home theatre and that he does not transmit from his own station for fear of wiping out his own TV... am I justified in wondering about the elite status of such an individual?

Apparently, at least some of these Extra Class elite operators are able to somehow memorize the questions and answers to the test(s) and obviously have NO PRACTICAL EXPERIENCE.

I propose that there be an experience requirement levied upon all who seek the Extra Class License. While going from Technician to Extra Class in one day is quite a remarkable achievement, I feel that some element of 'experience' should be a requirement for Extra Class.

If one wants to qualify for Extra Class, would it be in order to have a requirement to have been a licensed ham for X number of years? I can readily forsee where ham radio will be comprised of all chiefs and no indians...I hope I never see that day."

2. Guest

Guest Guest

Extra Class should mean something. The consensus of opinion is to let everyone have full privileges and to make it easier and easier and easier. This is absurd. We already have that. It is called CB. These libertarians who want to do whatever they want whenever they want to do it in their own inimical instant gratificational style are ruining the hobby. QUALITY before QUANTITY on the HF bands, I say. Just look at 2m FM!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.