ad: TinyPaddle-1

Emergency Communications of a different kind: CB Radio

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KB7TBT, Mar 28, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
  1. KB7TBT

KB7TBT Ham Member QRZ Page

Emergency Communications of a different kind: CB Radio

When we think about emergency communications Amateur Radio mostly comes to mind, but the Senator Wash Emergency Response Team uses Citizen band channel 12.
    Senators Wash is more that a "place to camp" it is a living and breathing community that gathers year after year.
    With thousands of people camping in the area it takes a team to keep things running smooth when trouble strikes.
    Watch Kevin KB9RWL's report.

K8BZ, K2NCC and AC0GT like this.
  2. AC0GT

AC0GT Ham Member QRZ Page

I love this. CB radio needs more respect in Amateur radio circles.

Here's something that I see mentioned every so often, that 11 meters was "stolen" from the Amateur radio community by the FCC. It wasn't "stolen", you all gave it away. Then this lament on it being "stolen" is often followed by a demand for the FCC to "give it back". Well, why would they do that? Are any Amateurs actually using the band? There's nothing stopping you but yourself. Get a CB radio and start talking. I encourage you to use your Amateur radio call sign while operating there, there is no rule against this practice (at least none I am aware of).

A proposal to the FCC to allow for restoring 11 meters as an Amateur radio band would go over much better if there is evidence of Amateurs actually using the band. Even if the FCC does nothing there is still the possibility of using the band to recruit more people into getting a license.

PD0JBV, N5AF, WU8Y and 1 other person like this.
  3. K3XR

K3XR Ham Member QRZ Page

There's nothing wrong with using a radio service as intended being 100% in compliance with the regulations for that service. CB did not get a bad reputation because it's CB it got a bad reputation because of the blatant disregard of the regulations on the part of many of its users.

N8FGB, KF5RRF, WQ4G and 3 others like this.
  4. N0TZU

N0TZU Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Seems like an excellent example of a citizens organizing to solve a problem and serve their unique community. As for CB, why not? - use whatever communications technology works in the given situation and for the people involved.

N5AF, AC0GT, AI7PM and 1 other person like this.
  5. K4KWH

K4KWH Ham Member QRZ Page

Sorry. CB radio earned its disrespect with its actions to break the law, to "pretend" to be amateurs because they were too "lazy" to test for a license. They also created interference, either intentionally thru filching frequencies/band not authorized to them.

I disagree with the admonition, or encouragement, to use one's amateur call on bands other than the amateur service. Your amateur call applies to the amateur service and Part 97. It has nothing to do with Part 95. It may be perceived by the CB community as "pretentious", or "putting on airs" (bragging?) which would not be helpful since there IS animosity between CBers and amateurs. True, it doesn't appear to be illegal, but, IMHO, not a best practice. Up to the point of being illegal, I would recommend that one use plain dress language, say what you mean, and avoid the "cutesy lingo" so common with CB that makes amateurs cringe. JMHO.

N8FGB, KY5U, WQ4G and 3 others like this.
  6. WG7X

WG7X Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Citizens Band is probably pretty useful now, given the fact that for the most part interference from distant stations is probably nil. I guess that occasional local idiots might still be present, especially in the urban areas.

I have not listened to CB in many decades. Once in a while, when I traveled around the PNW in winter, I'd throw an antenna on the roof and a CB in the car. Found that even after many years, the content was mostly the same: truckers discussing their usual stuff. Dispatchers, customers, other drivers, bad loads and bad weather.

Did not sound all that different from the past, with the notable exception of the old time interference from jammers and over powered "skip shooters".

I would imagine that most of the bad stuff that happened on CB is a thing of the past. Having said that, I'm not in a hurry to run out to the local truck stop to acquire a CB.

I also noted a bit of misdirection in the video where the host mentioned that the hams in this group either had a CB or "the ability" to operate on CB. We all know what that means. Not to beat him up or anything, but maybe he should have used a normal, legal, CB for this video rather than the ham radio. Might have added a bit more legitimacy to the discussion. Yes, I know he was "just listening" but still... It looks a bit dicey.

Just my opinion, YMMV

K3XR likes this.
  7. K8BZ

K8BZ Ham Member QRZ Page

The lack of required essential components must surely prevent this group from serving any useful purpose. No federal grants to purchase gear; No wall full of NIMS's training certificates; No national organization telling the interviewees that they are not the Official PIO and that they are not authorized to speak for the group; No mobile incident command post; No bright yellow reflective vests; No incident command structure chart identifying all the section chiefs; No COML (communications unit leader).

There is a lot to be impressed with in this video. This group could serve as a very useful example to many ARES/RACES groups.

K0IDT likes this.
  8. KB7TBT

KB7TBT Ham Member QRZ Page

We do have a IC structure, but not like what your thinking, we do have fancy yellow vests so we dont get killed on the main roads. We even get red blinking flashlights..lol

KN4SKF and WU8Y like this.
  9. K8BZ

K8BZ Ham Member QRZ Page

I hope this sounded as in intended. Entirely as a complement. Good job!

10. AC0GT

Don't confuse lawful CB usage with the illegal "freeband" operators.

In my experience the average CB user has little to no knowledge of Amateur radio. Going by the video and past exposure to CB there's some crazy "handles" that people use on CB. My guess is that a large number of the people listening would not even know it's a Amateur radio call sign unless told.

That goes both ways. I hear plenty of "cutesy lingo" on Amateur radio frequencies and it makes me cringe. This is not unique to CB. Everyone, please stop with the "73s" and Q-codes on phone modes, it makes you sound like an idiot just as much as using 10-codes. Say what you mean in plain English. I completely understand the need for some procedure words for efficient communication but keep it in English and not some code. I learned some good practice in the military, or at least I believe so. If you heard what was said then it's not "copy" or "roger" or "10-4", say "understood". If there's something that you were asked to do and you intend to do it then it's "will do", "will comply", or I'll give some leeway on the lingo and allow for "wilco". Use of "over" when you are ready to listen is good, and the use of "out" at the end of the conversation is also good. What is bad is "over and out" because that means "over to you, I'm listening" and "I'm out of this conversation", which of course is contradictory nonsense.

WU8Y likes this.
  11. AC0GT

I guess I missed that comment on having the "ability" to operate on CB. I'm not so sure that the use of the Amateur radio for this demonstration was problematic, it was quite necessary (IMHO) to show the frequency used on the video to let the Amateurs, SWLs, and such, where to tune to listen. The audience was people that are unfamiliar with CB radio or those (apparently like people here) with misconceptions on how CB radio is used today.

I do much of the same, when I'm planning for a long road trip I will bring a CB radio to listen to the truckers. They do quite well in informing others of travel hazards.

CB radios are sold on Amazon, you know that don't you? A quick search on Google tells me they are also sold at Best Buy, Walmart, Office Depot, Grainger, Home Depot, and many other stores you are likely to have near you. I've been to plenty of truck stops and rarely do I see a CB radio for sale. Lots of cell phones though, not may CB radios.

12. WQ4G

WQ4G Ham Member QRZ Page

Well, you had me up to the last paragraph. Nothing like 'should-ing' on people. I personally do not like CB lingo on the ham bands. But, there is nothing wrong with some Q-codes or ending the conversation with 73's. On the ham bands that IS plain language. I would venture to say that all hams know what is meant by 73's, QSO, QSL, QRP, etc., etc., etc. It's been this way for nearly a century.

Every hobby or occupation has it's own 'lingo.' Why do you have a problem with ham lingo?

I've said it before and I'll say it again... I wish this website had a dislike or thumbs down button in it's forums.

Dan KI4AX

KY5U and K3XR like this.
  13. WQ4G

WQ4G Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes, and it shows. Maybe CB has changed in your area of the country... But, not in mine. Foul language, Friday and Saturday night linear fights, and Kilowatt amps for local contacts. IMO nothing has changed. At least around here it's the same...

Dan KI4AX

14. WG7X

WG7X Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Well then Dan, maybe you should follow my example and give up listening to children's band?

Might lower your blood pressure or something.

15. AI5DH

AI5DH Ham Member

Preppers all own and use ham radio equipment. You don't need no stinking license.