ad: M2Ant-1

Electronics - The ELEGOO MEGA2560 R3 Most Complete Starter Kit.

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KB7TBT, Nov 27, 2022.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
  1. KB7TBT

KB7TBT Ham Member QRZ Page

Electronics - The ELEGOO MEGA2560 R3 Most Complete Starter Kit.

KI7WL, AB0TX, K9URT and 17 others like this.
  2. DO1FER

DO1FER Ham Member QRZ Page

When I remember back in time what my electronic kit was for, this new stuff is amazing. In the past I learned how a small receiver works or a signal horn was to build. This new educational kit is for the little and the big at the height of time. At next all this stuff in the box seems to be always near to the hardware level. So it shows what is really behind colorful icons on the computer desktop.

KN4MJC likes this.
  3. NU4R

NU4R XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Another reminder of how much I miss Heathkit. Although, not likely I'll need to worry about starting a fire or getting an electrical shock...like with Heathkit.

Thank you!

Last edited: Nov 28, 2022
    K8JCR, WA1ZMS and W9EBE like this.
  4. WU3U

WU3U Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

There's a whole lot that people that are really missing out on these days by having half of the stuff already built for them. Granted the surface mount stuff is not the way to get thrown to the wolves but It would be helpful to them if some of this stuff forced them to solder in a socket and snap a processor into the socket not to mention solder all of the other components onto the board. A lot of this new stuff is just connecting the I/O and you're up and running. You will learn a little bit from that but it's just the times that we live in. I'll admit that I have a lot of fun with these new microcomputers but years ago I got the background that I needed to understand what's going on with these boards and we can only hope that these types of projects strike enough interest with the newer people that makes them want to know more about what's going on inside of these new boards and not just connect things up to watch what other people have kitted together for them.

5. KC9YGN

KC9YGN QRZ Lifetime Member #750 Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Nice, quick little overview. Thanks a lot. I'm going to order one of these for my 14 yr old great-nephew and one for myself (grin)

W7FED, WD4IGX and DO1FER like this.
  6. W3AMT

W3AMT Ham Member QRZ Page

Very nice over view. I to had 150 in one. That was almost
    50 years ago.

KD2ZRQ and KB2QQM like this.
  7. AE8EM

AE8EM Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Totally agree. I have been fixing dialysis machines for nearly 30 years. We used to FIX down to the component level when I first started in the field. Now, we just swap boards. My BSET degree isn't really needed anymore for this field (Biomedical Engineering).
    Were just glorified board swappers now.

VA2AKG, KC5NK, DO1FER and 1 other person like this.
  8. WD4IGX

WD4IGX Ham Member QRZ Page

Why can't these companies find a native English speaker who can write to translate the manuals? Considering they only need one person per language to do it ONCE it wouldn't seem too much to ask for. That stuff often baffles and always annoys me.

I had the 100 in 1. Folks couldn't afford the 150 in 1.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2022
    W8WJW and KC7ZXY like this.
  9. KM1NDY

KM1NDY Ham Member QRZ Page

KC5NK, VE9NC, KC9YGN and 1 other person like this.
  10. KC9YGN

KC9YGN QRZ Lifetime Member #750 Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Thanks for the link. This is just the kind of thing I was looking for for my nephew! And I suspect for me too <grin>

VE9NC and KM1NDY like this.
  11. GM4BRB

GM4BRB Ham Member QRZ Page

"When I was a child, I spoke and thought and reasoned as a child.
    But when I grew up, I put away childish things
    ." - 1 Corinthians 13:11
    :eek:

Last edited: Nov 30, 2022
  12. KF5FEI

KF5FEI Ham Member QRZ Page

BBC MicroBit is another good one for kids. It has an easy programming interface, and has lots of built-in stuff. Speaker, microphone, 3-axis accelerometer. 5x5 LED display, magnetic compass, and a couple of switches. Only caveat is it requires Win10 or better for the programming website to work.

13. WD4IGX

WD4IGX Ham Member QRZ Page

Relevance?

This is not a "childish thing." Children (who are old enough) can learn from it, but so can adults.

VE3CGA, W1JT, AE8EM and 1 other person like this.
  14. KM1NDY

KM1NDY Ham Member QRZ Page

I too was struggling to understand how learning how to program and utilize microcontrollers was "childish." I mean, I was an adult when the arduino was invented?!

Mindy

W1JT, AE8EM, WD4IGX and 2 others like this.
  15. HA2ZB

HA2ZB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Childish - not childish, I just ordered the kit. I already learned Raspberry Pi (programming, connecting sensors, using ham radio apps on it etc...), and would like to get familiar with this platform as well. I am 50+, and sure I will have a good fun.

KC5NK and KM1NDY like this.