ad: HamHats-1

Electronics - Cheap parts. A cautionary tale!

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KB7TBT, Dec 1, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. DO1FER

DO1FER Ham Member QRZ Page

What I ment is, that the parts for the rubbish were stolen by the staff of the manufacturer. The parts never reached the rubbish tip and they went back into the circle of some wholesale traders. Or where offered to private persons which are looking for a cheap source. All in all much criminal energy is needed for to do this.

2. KD2AVW

KD2AVW Ham Member QRZ Page

If failed parts are sold as scrap, there really is nothing to stop a scrap dealer finding a buyer who will screen and test the parts and resell them as genuine.

3. W3KKV

W3KKV Ham Member QRZ Page

We're in agreement friend. Yes, there are workers reselling 'reject' factory made ICs. There's also Chinese manufactures producing totally fake Chips and silk-screening Texas Instruments on it etc.

This is a huge issue with the Vintage PC market. Collectors are trying to source original 1970s chips but the market is flooded with bootleg fake-silkscreened chips. Most are completely off spec.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2021
  4. DO1FER

DO1FER Ham Member QRZ Page

Its wasnt only in China or a in other those countries. I remember that we had in the 1980s here in my hometown a fabric of Toshiba. The police had to clean them up and dry out the flood of resellers with the stolen rubbish.