ad: chuckmartin

Easy Raspberry Pi Build Version 2

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KM4ACK, Feb 28, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-2
  1. KM4ACK

KM4ACK Ham Member QRZ Page

KG4CWC, VK2JI, W6IR and 2 others like this.
  2. VK2JI

VK2JI Ham Member QRZ Page

Nice video Jason. Thanks for creating the script and these instructions, it's far easier to understand when you can see what is to be done!

Coincidentally the British National amateur radio Society - the RSGB has just released a new paper (or Kindle) book called "Raspberry Pi Explained for radio amateurs", which, for someone starting really from the beginning, along with your script, Jason should get most Hams going nicely with the RPi !

https://www.rsgbshop.org/acatalog/Online_Catalogue_What_s_New_26.html
    . upload_2020-3-1_15-23-19.png

73 and thanks again - Ed

KM4ACK likes this.
  3. W5EKG

W5EKG Ham Member QRZ Page

Loaded and working. Thanks for the build! 64475D94-36C5-46F2-9646-293A53BD65D4.jpeg

N0BML, KM4ACK, VK2JI and 2 others like this.
  4. KM4ACK

KM4ACK Ham Member QRZ Page

The small screen is a nice touch! 73

W5EKG likes this.
  5. K9JPT

K9JPT Ham Member QRZ Page

I enjoyed watching the video on this and I like working with Raspberry pi. How would a noob use all this? Right now I'm woking with S-star and DMR and on Friday I intend to build a APRS iGate with a raspberry pi. Thank you & 73 K9JPT

6. W3CKL

W3CKL Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm eager to give this a go, but honestly, have no idea what I'd do with it. I have a Fusion capable HT. Could this be used as a hotspot for it?

7. K9JPT

I got this up and running on my own! This is a totally awesome product and Jason, the developer, has created something very special for the amateur radio community. Using this build I got an iGate up and running and it's slamming with traffic! AND it allows me to enjoy much more the APRS features of my Kenwood TH-D74A. This package is loaded with all sort of goodies that you just got to install it. 10 stars!!!

Attached Files:

KM4ACK likes this.
  8. K9JPT

What command are you running to have both screens running simultaneously? Thank you!

9. W5EKG

You have to go into your pi config.txt file, scroll all the way to the bottom and change the resolution back to at least 800x600. The small screen changes to a low resolution which won’t work with the hdmi port. Changing it back to a higher resolution will give you your hdmi port back and dual monitor function without having to download programs, etc

10. K9JPT

I tried this and it did not work. The only setting I found controlled the width and height toward top. Did I miss something? The proper way to open config.txt is by running the command line sudo nano config.txt :)

Also my LCD is a model MHS35. To run HDMI I must run

chmod -R 755 LCD-show
    cd LCD-show/
    sudo ./MHS35-show

To get the smaller screen size back I run

cd LCD-show/
    sudo ./LCD-hdmi

What I would like the most is an 'on' 'off' switch that would kill power to the LCD via GPIO. Or a simple script that could do the same.

11. W5EKG

I originally said 800x600, but meant 800x480.

Try this. Open terminal and type-

sudo nano /boot/config.txt

8DD4994D-3096-42AB-9E56-23621B63A333.jpeg

It should open this

B9F53DB2-E38E-4FA8-8515-6EC6D29CF216.jpeg

scroll all the way to the bottom and change “hdmi_cvt” to 800x480

73F57D97-E5FE-4EE1-B384-77CA2D44D12F.jpeg

Hope this helps!

Last edited: Mar 17, 2020
  12. K9JPT

Thank you for the detailed description! Sadly, under [all] only the first two lines appear and nothing more.

Are you running a Raspberry pi 3 like me? Or is yours a 4? We both used Jason's package so it's odd the same files aren't available.

I found this at
    https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentation/configuration/config-txt/video.md

Note that this simply creates the mode (group 2 mode 87). In order to make the Pi use this by default, you must add some additional settings. For example, the following selects an 800 × 480 resolution and enables audio drive:

hdmi_cvt=800 480 60 6
    hdmi_group=2
    hdmi_mode=87
    hdmi_drive=2

However, I also came across this:

ignore_lcd
    By default the Raspberry Pi LCD display is used when it is detected on the I2C bus. ignore_lcd=1 will skip this detection phase, and therefore the LCD display will not be used.

display_default_lcd
    If a Raspberry Pi DSI LCD is detected it will be used as the default display and will show the framebuffer. Setting display_default_lcd=0 will ensure the LCD is not the default display, which usually implies the HDMI output will be the default. The LCD can still be used by choosing its display number from supported applications, for example, omxplayer.

Reading "display_default_lcd" leads me to believe that when HDMI is default then that monitor will be working at the shack and when I go mobile with the unit the LCD should boot up as the default (hdmi) is not available?

13. W5EKG

That is interesting. I am running the Pi4, but im unsure why that would have a different config.txt file.

14. K9JPT

Hi all! Is this thread still being monitored? I got a question I'd like to ask. I want to see time & date stamps of the traffic taking place over my iGate. I currently start Direwolf with the command 'direwolf -t 0' But I was also using 'direwolf -p -t o -L ~/Desktop/direwolf.log'. The problem with the later is that I can't send messages or beacons. Direwolf appears to just listen and write traffic to the direwolf.log file. When I use 'direwolf -t 0' I can do the messaging and everything else but I have no log of traffic. Am I missing something in the command? Thanks 73 K9JPT