ad: LZQSLprint-1

DX WinLink Sessions using QRP & Compromise Antennas

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by OH8STN, Aug 29, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
  1. K4CLP

K4CLP Ham Member QRZ Page

Julian,

Good morning Sir. I have received the wolphi link and seem to be having some trouble. When connected to my 857D it automatically goes into TX. This happens even when the link is not connected to either my phone or tablet. I have tried to adjust the pots, and still can not get the link to shut down. I have emailed the manufacturer with no reply. Any thoughts or advice would be great.

Thank you,
    K4CLP

2. OH8STN

OH8STN Ham Member QRZ Page

The very first thing to check is that your phone or tablet has an actual "trrs" connection. That's the 4-pole connector carrying speaker and microphone audio to and from the WolphiLink.
    With that said, I have seen a similar issue once before, but only while connected to a specific phone. That was a Samsung Galaxy S4.

The only other thing I could think of is redoing the pot adjustments, as outlined in the instruction manual.

If you don't mind me asking, what app and OS are you trying to use with the WolphiLink, and what Hardware (manufacturer, model, ...).

Julian oh8stn

3. K4CLP

It is a Samsung galaxy tab 4.0 and a Samsung galaxy s6 edge phone. It does this with both. Oddly enough even when the link is not connected to the devices it still triggers the tx on the radio. Both the tablet amd the phone have droidpsk. Adjusting the pots hasn't worked to remedy this problem. I am running a yaesu 857D. I have a signalink that works flawlessly on the 857D. Could the wolphilink interface be defective?

4. OH8STN

If it's doing it when not connected to your tablet or your phone, I would look at and adjust the potentiometers again.

I would aldo make certain the pins on the mini-din are not shorted on one another. Check both ends of the cable.

One other thing you can look at, ensure the mini din is pushed far enough into the wolphilink itself.

You can rule out the Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 since my own tablet, the Samsung Galaxy Tab active is based on your tablet, and works fine.
    If you've done all these things, I guess it would be fair to say send it back for Wolfgang to test.
    He can be slow to respond sometimes, but he's pretty good at getting back to people.
    Julian oh8stn

5. K4CLP

Will do. Thank you!

6. OH8STN

No problem

7. KC8VWM

KC8VWM Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi Julian.

I am using a wireless Bluetooth CAT interface attached to the back of the FT-817 like this:

s-l1600.jpg

This is fine for rig control, but you still need an audio interface to do digital work.

For that I have a small audio interface similar to the Wolfilink device you are using but for PTT, it relies on the FT-817 VOX function. However, it requires a wire connected between the interface and the Android phone.

My goal is to operate digital without any wires whatsoever attached between my FT-817 and the Android phone / Windows Tablet / Laptop etc...

I was thinking about dissecting a wireless bluetooth headset and adapting the internal interface directly to the audio input /output of the Wolfilink digital interface, but I can't find a ready made solution. Perhaps you are aware of one? So any idea where to get a wireless interface so it can get wireless audio occurring between the Andriod phone and the Wolfilink interface?

Thanks. Charles - KC8VWM

8. OH8STN

Hi Charles
    I started working on exactly the same thing last year. Too many projects at one time so it's on hold for now however I do know the answer to your question. There are Bluetooth development boards with headset and ad2p profiles. Some of those boards have a Breakout block to get audio in and out as well as to program the name and baud rate settings things like that. The most important thing is the ad2p and headset profiles. Otherwise the board will only working One Direction, as with a Bluetooth speaker. That's a bad thing.
    I remember a couple of cheap boards from banggood with a proper headset profile. A Google search will also lead you to a couple of more expensive bt development boards, which also include the development kit. I remember both of those came from American companies. If you're more of a hacker, you can test with a few of those from banggood.

Now on the same topic I reached out to G4ZLP, and Wolfgang (WolohiLink) mentioning to them the need for a self-powered bluetooth audio interface that's about the size of pack of cigarettes.

Haven't smoked in about 20 years, but I think you get the size idea.I expected to hear back from zlp last summer, but he never got back to me. That's when I realized I'd have to finish it myself, and release it as a DIY video on the channel.

That's about all I have for you. I've got too many projects going on at the moment, and can't afford to finish that one right now. :/

Julian oh8stn

KC8VWM likes this.
  9. KC8VWM

I entirely agree there's a need for a wireless bluetooth interface for hams to do portable digital work.

I appreciate this information and look forward to enjoying more of your excellent videos.

Thanks Julian !

73 de Charles - KC8VWM

10. OH8STN

Thank you for reminding me about these really cool projects. I know someone will point this out after we finish this discussion, so I thought I'd just throw this in there. West Mountain radio sells one called the rigblaster Blue.
    The reason I didn't mention it initially is its entirely too big for truly man portable digital work. It's excellent in the shack though.
    Anyway it's extremely awesome to hear other operators getting into this mobile powered man portable field radio. This is absolutely inspiring.
    Thanks for the kindness

Julian oh8stn

KC8VWM likes this.
  11. KC8VWM

Yup, entirely too big for us. :) Mabey between all of us man portable QRP stations, we will come up with some kind of portable Bluetooth interface solution. If I do find something, I will get the information to you. Speaking of development, I have been working on extra lightweight and compact antenna designs you might be interested in.

Antenna project link:

https://forums.qrz.com/index.php?threads/fishing-rod-vertical.569241/

73 de Charles - KC8VWM

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 3, 2017
  12. OH8STN

Thanks. I'm sure we'll come up with something Charles.
    Years ago I started off with an antenna that looks quite similar. ATX1080 wonder-walker or something. I kept it in the top box of my motorcycle, with my original 817 back in the day.
    When I need something that small, self-supporting with a tiny breakdown size, I use the MP1. I've had very good luck with it.

Attached Files:

KC8VWM likes this.
  13. KC8VWM

Hi Julian.

Check this out. What do you think?

[​IMG]

I am not sure if this is manually switched between TX/ RX or completely automatic, but I found it here:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2-in1-Wire...epid=0&hash=item2cc73d4302:g:PkoAAOSwR21Zz1dw

Last edited: Dec 4, 2017
  14. OH8STN

KC8VWM likes this.
  15. KC8VWM

I just asked the seller the following question:

"Is this item bi-directional in the sense that it can send and receive audio at the same time, or is it required to be manually switched between receive and transmit?
    I am interested in using it to connect an earphone headset with a microphone attached for automatic bi-directional 2 way communication."

I will post his reply. :)