ad: Radclub22-1

Dx Commander Lite Build Part 1!!!

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KD9LFZ, Oct 1, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. KD9LFZ

KD9LFZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Watch me cut the wires and do the soldering for my DX Commander Lite! Part 2 I will be building the antenna and testing it! Thanks to the DX Commander of course and Mike K8MRD Radio stuff for the antenna, check out their channels for awesome videos!

MW6PNW, NW7O, KC5HWB and 20 others like this.
  2. 2E0TWD

2E0TWD Ham Member QRZ Page

You’re infectious Leah, not in a Covid type nasty way, in a funny enthusiastic way. Great video x.

KC5HWB, M1WML, KE8EC and 1 other person like this.
  3. M6ENP

M6ENP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

good video there leah, you could have had the 40 &15 m on one wire, and cut another wire for 17m and the 4th wire for 30m ??, i know i have dxc world beater myself, keep them coming :)

M1WML, KD9LFZ and 2E0TWD like this.
  4. KI5AAI

KI5AAI Ham Member QRZ Page

Good video. Keep it up. I think it is great to see teens get involved in technology and try to share their experiences. As you mature, your videos will only get better!. Keep up the good work.

M1WML and 2E0TWD like this.
  5. KI4UYA

KI4UYA Ham Member QRZ Page

I have a DX Commander all band vertical and am very pleased with it. Just goes to so you a child can do it. Try it out you'll love it.

MW6PNW, M1WML and MM0XXW like this.
  6. W3AMT

W3AMT Ham Member QRZ Page

Relay Great video! Keep up the good work! 73's

M1WML and KD9LFZ like this.
  7. NI4F

NI4F Ham Member QRZ Page

I enjoy all of your videos. Keep up the good work!

M1WML likes this.
  8. KB7AK

KB7AK XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Love your videos, great to see young people getting excited about old farts hobbies

M1WML, K4DXG and KD9LFZ like this.
  9. KQ4CD

KQ4CD Ham Member QRZ Page

that was a outstanding video. you are going to fit in. It's great to see young people in to the hobby. waiting on part 2. Welcome and enjoy this hobby. 73

M1WML likes this.
  10. ZL9998

ZL9998 QRZ Member

Leah I saw what you were up to and here's an offer .. if you build the Hycas RF oscillator ie scratch build it using isolate pad construction *** , I will send over a MST1 SSB tcvr board with the full xtal set and the IFTs and whatever other new parts I can find in my ferrites box. You will be up for about another 20 USD of parts and you will have a monoband HF transmitter for either 40 or twenty mtrs. Personally I'd go twenty. What you will be missing is the VFO You will probably want a digital VFO so I'd suggest the one from Hans at Qrplabs in Turkey. That runs just abit over thirty notes and postage added. YOu can sometimes pick up fully built up ones from PRC for about forty dollars on Ebay. If you want to use an anlogue one and you can get hold of a slow turning 30- 365 pF aluminium variable then there is a design from Farhan that will cost next to nothing to build as long as you have that scavanged variable capacitor and some PCB scrap , two J310s or similar and a T 50-6 toroid. *** I'll need a photo and a sign off from another Ham that he has seen the thing running and it works. A MST can drive an EBY amp (25 W RMS , SSB duty) which are fairly cheap to make and that will give you as much power out as the G90 in your other presentation.

The story of the MST1 is that Leon in NSW was getting rid of his last inventory when he changed to MST 2. I'll put in a link to the build book. The main thing that the MST2 has over the version one is AGC - audio derived AGC. I can be called up not on the VHF but via the user group for QRP Labs on GroupsIO. I was going to give the minimal MST1 kit to my Nephew but he is off into digital logic and Python programming and there is no chance of hooking him into ham radio I fear. Here's the build book from Leon's Archives down under - http://www.ozqrp.com/docs/MST_manual_V1.pdf

Attached Files:

KF0XU, M1WML and KI5HNX like this.
  11. ZL9998

ZL9998 QRZ Member

Ashan Farhan Analogue VFO alluded to in previous post .. for use with a 7Mhz and 14Mhz dual band Tcvr . NB need to change coil to toroidal format type six material. Missing resister value approx 70 to 100 ohms non critical. Tuning with this arrgt possibly too fast a rate for CW Rx. See Better Arrl design with two air variable capacitors. Look up a subs for the BFW11. It's not that hard. AS per many posted internet designs there are critical data missing. IN this case the tapping point on the tank coil is not specified. I'd go for 8T up from the cold end and reduce if the oscillator was being over driven. I do have an LTSpice simulation of this basic design lying on the HDD of the DELL somewhere.

Attached Files:

M1WML likes this.
  12. ZL9998

ZL9998 QRZ Member

Oops.. if you are going to get hold of me via the Groups IO of QRP Labs then you will need a handle. It's Timothy Fidler (NZ). And 40 Mtrs is in fact a better choice. But with the Farhan Dual VFO or in fact any DIGI vfo that tunes 4.3 to 3 Mhz you can manage both 7 Mhz and 14 Mhz in the same box.. it is just a question of a switchable filter set. Mais malhereusement I cannot get hold of any more 42IFT123 cans I think they are. Which brings up the option of toroids with high quality variable capacity trimmers for the second post mix filter if a second band is intended (that's the extra for experts option) . XICOM stopped making these IFT cans several years back. Each filter requires one pair.

M1WML likes this.
  13. KG5ZMG

KG5ZMG XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Great video, I thoroughly enjoyed it! You remind me of a scientist who works at the VLA (Very Large Array) radio telescope in New Mexico. Now I have to go check out DX Commander. Keep’em coming!

M1WML likes this.
  14. KD9LFZ

Thanks I really appreciate you always watching and commenting on my videos!

M1WML and 2E0TWD like this.
  15. KD9LFZ

Thank you, I can't wait to see where the channel ends up in a year or two!

M1WML and KI5AAI like this.