ad: CQMM-1

Dr. Philip Erickson, W1PJE, named as Incoming Director at MIT’s Haystack Observatory

Discussion in 'General Announcements' started by WX2R, Dec 19, 2023.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. WX2R

WX2R Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Long time HamSCI Advisory Board member Dr. Philip Erickson, W1PJE, was recently named as the Incoming Director at MIT’s Haystack Observatory.

Haystack is a radio science and technology research center, well known for astrophysical research using astronomical instrumentation at the cutting edge of technology. Of particular interest to HamSCI members are Haystack’s Geospace projects, including remote sensing of the ionosphere and other atmospheric regions utilizing a wide range of electromagnetic frequencies. Haystack is also a leader in geodesy, the science of accurately measuring the geometric shape of the earth, its orientation in space and its gravity field.

Philip (B.S. 1987; Ph.D., 1998, Cornell University) has been a Haystack staff member since 1995. He previously served as Assistant Director (2015) and is currently Associate Director (2020). He assumes his new position in January 2024.

HamSCI serves as a means for fostering collaboration between professional researchers and amateur radio operators. It assists in developing and maintaining standards and agreements between all people and organizations involved. Its goals are to advance scientific research and understanding through amateur radio activities and encourage the development of new technologies to support this research.

For more information about HamSCI, please visit the HamSCI website at www.hamsci.org.

###

N3RYB, VU2JO and W0PV like this.
  2. VU2JO

VU2JO Ham Member QRZ Page

Hearty congratulations to @W1PJE for being appointed to the prestigious post. Astronomy was my pet subject while at school. Used to read every astronomy book I could come across from school library. It was in one of those books that I read about discovery of radio waves from outer space by Karl G. Jansky a Radio Amateur using his directional 20 m antenna. But I did not know that radio amateurs were there right in my city at that time. I came to know about that only when a local newspaper carried an article on Ham Radio. Still there was another wait before I could actually become a radio amateur. I could appear for the exam and become a Ham only after graduation. Now during retired life I am coming back to astronomy and amateur radio after an inevitable hiatus created by work pressure!

Hoping to collaborate with HamSCI in what ever limited way it is possible for me. 73 de VU2JO.

3. W1PJE

W1PJE Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks for your kind words. Indeed, participate in HamSCI as you can and join the community. https://hamsci.org/get-involved

VU2JO likes this.
  4. VU2JO

VU2JO Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks a lot Phil. I did participate in your recent zoom meeting on TangerineSDR and could see the active discussion. As I have started hearing about SDR only for the past 1 year, I am yet to get a stand alone SDR. I have just started with an FT-710 AESS, which is also an SDR, though dedicated for HF and 50 MHz ham bands.

I am following the messages on HamSCI Google Group regularly.

73 de Jon, VU2JO.