ad: Radclub22-1

Doug Strobel KB3HAM

Discussion in 'Silent Keys / Friends Remembered' started by KI4BDS, Jan 25, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. KI4BDS

KI4BDS Ham Member QRZ Page

Doug Strobel of Damascus MD died this past week at college in his sleep. Doug had been blind since birth. No details of his death have been released. He was buried Sat. 1/25/2009 He had a lot of friends in Ham radio and had been an operator since age 12.

2. AC4BB

AC4BB Ham Member QRZ Page

After reading Doug's, bio seemed to have been quite a remarkable person. Rest in Peace Doug, 73 SK SK.

3. KG4RRN

KG4RRN Ham Member QRZ Page

Doug Strobel, KB3HAM,SK

I remember some kid who kept on keying on top of other hams transmissions,
    but when I started talking to him, he turned into this incredibly smart teenager with a chip on his shoulder, because he realized he could only go so far in life.
    I know that I will remember his voice, but several other hams knew him,
    and his bio on QRZ dot com was not written by anyone else.
    I once asked him to "look" at my webpage, and he had an assistive learning device attached to his computer which voice read aloud the contents.
    Doug loved to talk, and try not to think about his problem, but he always wanted to hear from other hams who shared their world with him.
    It is ashame he died, and I don't know what the repeater is like without him, except more silent than usual.
    He was a shining example to all those who lost sight on overcoming your
    handicap and talking about it.
    Rest in Peace "Dougie".
    K8TMJ and K8DSJ viewed him at the funeral home and told us on the net, that someone put an HT in Doug's hand, and he had a flowered wreath callsign in the funeral home.
    What a sendoff !!!
    Bob Rice, KG4RRN
    Chambersburg, PA.

4. AE8K

AE8K Ham Member QRZ Page

I talked to Doug every so often, he lived not to far from where I live in Frederick MD. I mostly remember the mornings when I was commuting, Doug would sime times get on before school, and he sounded very tired. I don't think he was a morning person. It was a long time before I learned that he was blind. I think it may have been at the first field day that I attended with MADXRA. He spent a lot of time on 6 meters that year.

http://www.fredericknewspost.com/sections/local/obituaries_purchase_run.htm?obitID=25569

73 de Joseph Durnal NE3R

Last edited: Jan 29, 2009
  5. KB3GJP

KB3GJP Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm late. I just found out this weekend Doug died. Just assumed he was still at college. Meet Doug once and talked to him many times on the air. I did have a major problem with doug, but looked past that. I can't belive how many people I know died early.

6. W3MLK

W3MLK Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

WOW, just came across this. Doug was an awesome young man. Very smart too. I remember a number of times he came down to the beach for a weekend and would be so happy telling me how he was crossband repeating using a mobil rig in the car parked out in the parking lot while using his HT in the house. He would always give me or my son N3JVT a call on the local repeaters and if he could not contact us he would call us on the phone just to let us know he was in town. And he was very proud of his CALL.. "KB3HAM"....My son and I would talk about him from time to time wondering when he would come back in town and give us a shout.... Rest in Peace my friend.......

7. KG4FFA

KG4FFA Ham Member QRZ Page

Miss him already

I talked to Doug several times and grew to like him. I met him at a Berryville hamfest and led him around the ground son my elbow a bit. He was amazing what he knew about radios and ALL the people he knew. I didn't know what to do when I heard he passed on. I'll definitely miss him. I'm surprised more people haven't posted comments here, considering how many people he knew. May God have mercy on his soul. I hope to see him again someday.

73, Doug.
    This is, KG4FFA Larry

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.