ad: ProAudio-1

DM-02 and SOTA W6-SC-293 on 6M 50MHz

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by G6YZC, Mar 10, 2023.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
  1. G6YZC

G6YZC XML Subscriber QRZ Page

DM02.PNG
    I came across this via the 6m Fred Fish Memorial Award group today. I thought that I would repost it here as it might be of interest to some of you that need DM02 on 6M. I have no affiliation with any of the people involved but as a member of N4EME I have always appreciated the help offered to our club.....

Greetings, my name is Albert Bailey and my Amateur callsign is K8SIX. For a couple years now I have been trying to get onto San Clemente Island located in Gridsquare DM-02, which is needed by many FFMA chasers, myself included. I wrote the President and the Secretary of Defense requesting a 5 day stay on the island which was forwarded to the base commander of San Clemente. Due to unexploded ordinance and security I was denied, even though I used to have a Top Secret clearance while in the Air Force.
    Since that was shot down I next tried by requesting I send the equipment for it to be setup by military personnel, with me being allowed remote access. That did not fly either. So I continued on QRZ searching under grid DM02 and FINALLY found a club station there. The club station is KN6UWK and is run by W4PBL No email address but through perseverance I found him and we are now working things out.
    I ordered and donated a 6.8M Innova yagi which is currently on the way to Austin. Now the reason for the Go Fund Me. As most know, while in the military funds are tight. Hence the reason I donated the new beam. The San Clemente Island Radio club is in need of an amplifier that operates on 120V, as the site on DM-02 does not have 220V. Lance, W7GJ, and I chatted and feel the best bang for the buck is the Elecraft KPA-500 which with shipping, Go Fund Me Fees, etc comes to roughly $2800.
    Austin is acquiring the mast and feedline so he can activate DM-02 and the summit on the island during late May and most of June. By doing so we should be able to take DM-02 off the most wanted for FFMA.
    As soon as we reach the cap I will order the amp from Elecraft and have it shipped to the hanger for Austin and the San Clemente Island Club. Another plus to this is the club can activate other SOTA"s when six meters closes.

https://www.gofundme.com/f/grid-dm02-and-sota-w6sc293

K9EZ, NE4AM and AK5B like this.
  2. KI6PMD

KI6PMD Ham Member QRZ Page

I worked DM-02 twice !! once to a couple of hams on 2 meters simplex they were MM/fishing out in DM-02 & once to a ham who was working there on the Island as a contractor he was mobile ! LUCKY me Hi Hi hope the club gets on the air soon that will be GREAT by the way Lance W7 GJ is a wonderful guy worked him lots on 6 meters all modes hope to work him via EME this summer ! putting up my BIG 6 meter yagi and with 1200 watts and good luck and Mr. MOON will make that contact and maybe some day Lance will get a chance to work EME from San Clement Island !!! 73 Phil KI6PMD..

KJ7OG and AK5B like this.
  3. G6YZC

G6YZC XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I just took a quick look at their gofundme page and they are only $1000 short of their goal.

4. VK2JI

VK2JI Ham Member QRZ Page

Please don't forget that any SOTA activation CANNOT use mains or generator power - it must be battery / Solar / wind powered. So while the sought-after DM02 square can be operated off 120v, the SOTA activation will be invalid if performed from that supply (even as an EME contact).

73 Ed DD5LP.

K9EZ likes this.
  5. K8SIX

K8SIX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Good Evening Folks, I just got a email from Austin, W4PBL, and he and the family just returned from vacation. He got sick but is doing better and will pick up the beam at the hanger tomorrow. He is hoping he can take it on one of his flights if not to big. IF it is to big it will go out on one of the weekly barge trips.
    I want to thank all of you who donated and we are currently at $1950 of the $2800 needed. One way or another I am going to order the amp by Monday as Elecraft is 15 days back.
    I saw where grid DM02 is in the 60% range for needed. I knew it was high, but not quite that high. When Tony, K4XSS , was there he heard me, but I did not copy him. He was running a injured 5 element beam and 100 watts, so our efforts should put this grid on the map.
    Take care and 73, and hope to see ya in the pileup. :):)

NE4AM likes this.
  6. WM5L

WM5L XML Subscriber QRZ Page

If your chasing FFMA or just want to talk, sell, buy, learn, ask questions about 6m stuff here is a group I set up for that very thing. 6 has been open every day for the last week or so to SA and Europe in the evenings. Come join us. Jim WM5L

https://www.facebook.com/groups/3116926128618958

7. K8SIX

Well today was a slow day, but we are approaching 75% of the needed $2800. I researched the needed list for DM02 and created a spreadsheet so I could get the email addresses and sent a bulk email a couple days ago. Since many ISP's seem to send bulk emails to the Junk folder I went in tonight and sent individual emails so they won't be side tracked. I am hoping that helps get the word out. If you have a buddy chasing the VUCC award, then they will need DM02 also. It can be used for IOTA, SOTA, FFMA and VUCC. All we need now is for them to create a park on the island and we could have it count as POTA too. HI HI The beam is in Austins possesion so all we need is a little more help. Let's git er done.. 73 de Al, K8SIX

8. K8SIX

I have posted an update on the Go Fund Me page today along with a copy of the amp receipt. It has already been ordered and should release in about 15 days. Also forgot taxes so had to change Go Fund Me amount. :(

9. K8SIX

Well folks today we broke the 90% mark and I am elated. It is all downhill from here.
    I can't wait till the summer E's this season and will be getting a LOT of shack time. I know I will have callouses on the derriere. Hope we all get in the log.
    73 de Al, K8SIX

10. K8SIX

Well folks I got a email from Innova today with a tracking number for the replacment loops for the 6 element loop yagi. Austin should have it by next Monday and be able to complete the assembly of the antenna. He'll be able to raise it and get on the air barefoot for awhile and get some time in on FT8, etc. By mid April he should have the KPA500 and put it through its test phase, getting ready for mid May through June E's. Speaking of amp, it is paid for and in the queue. We are still $245 short in the Go Fund Me so if you got some pals, let then know we can use some help. I would really like to wrap this up by weeks end. I hope all of us are able to get DM-02 in the log, whether it be for VUCC, IOTA, SOTA, or FFMA. Get your club involved if need be and lets get this done. Thanks and 73 to all de Al, K8SIX

11. K8SIX

Well folks we have reached the goal and I turned off donations so all is well. The amp should be shipped to him by mid April.
    The replacement loops arrived and Austin is currently building the beam. I suspect he will be on the air by mid April barefoot until the amp arrives. He is looking for a 25' mast to support the beam so if anybody out near San Diego has something get with me and we'll see if we can't work something out. In the mean time I am going to contact DXE and see what they have.
    Thanks a BUNCH folks for all your donations and hope we can all get in the log during this summer E's season. I know I will have a sore behind when it is all said and done.
    73 de Al, K8SIX..

12. K8SIX

Well folks the yagi is half done and he is also working on how to raise it. He has come to the conclusion he will get some guys on base to give him a hand. Also he is looking into a permanent installation, BUT not before this E's season.
    On another note I was asked if he will do LOTW and he is currently getting the club call on LOTW which is the call he will be using. He is also looking into QSL cards for those that like the paper. I personally would like one from the island. :)
    The Go Fund Me was turned off as we met goal and all we need to do now is wait for the amp to be built and shipped. Since is is only about 460 miles, that won't take long.
    Stay tuned and here is a photo of Austin with the back half complete.
    73 de Al, K8SIX

Attached Files:

13. K9EZ

K9EZ Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Hopefully they can operate on DC for the SOTA! Still would ;love to get the grid on 6!

Kent K9EZ
    FM03

14. K8SIX

Kent he has already operated from the summit and made I believe 85 contacts. He will be operating SOTA as well as FFMA but not simultaneously. When six is dead you will see him from time to time on the summit. Also he will be using the club call and is in the process of setting up LOTW and getting some cards printed. GL and 73

15. K8SIX

I chatted with Austin on the phone yesterday and the beam is 100%. He is going to order a Wimo mast, rope and tripod to support the beam from DXE and has some help on the island to raise it and guy it off.
    After talking to Austin I got home and the amplifier is done and in transit to the base to arrive this Monday.
    So all in all folks things are looking good. I have no doubt DM02 will be active this summer. NOW start praying for some decent E's. Us guys to the East need double hop and from my experience we should be able to wrap this up. I work into DM03 quite often and the island is a mere 65 miles west of San Diego. Keep your fingers crossed
    73 de Al, K8SIX