ad: Radclub22-1

Digital Voice circa 2008 from HamRadioNow

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by K4AAQ, Feb 1, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
  1. K4AAQ

K4AAQ Ham Member QRZ Page

From the archives of ARVN:Amateur Radio//Video News...

HRN 381 250.jpg

Digital Voice for Amateur Radio
    was the most complex of the three documentaries that HamRadioNow's Gary Pearce KN4AQ produced for DVD, before starting the online show. In 2007, Gary traveled to Alabama and Dallas in one trip, Chicago and St. Louis in another, and Washington DC in a third to gather interviews and footage of what was then just emerging as Digital Voice systems for Amateur Radio. The program was edited and released on DVD in 2008.
    ARVN Digital Voice DVD for web.png
    The DV modes included an HF mode called WinDRM (which evolved to today's FreeDV) and a hardware system from AOR, and VHF/UHF modes D-STAR and P-25.

Of course, these modes have continued to be developed since this program was produced, and newer modes like DMR, Yaesu System Fusion, and NXDN have been created. Consider this program a snapshot in the early history of Amateur Radio Digital Voice. It's certainly not a current tutorial on operating those modes today.

Here are our two other ARVN documentaries:
    And some more D-STAR history:

Here's a related QLOG entry...

W9LRM likes this.
  2. KD5BVX

KD5BVX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Though I honestly wasn't sure if I would at first, I found this to be an interesting "blast from the past". Plus, much of the D-star info is still accurate, though we know other modes have come along since then it is still in use. Thanks for putting it on the web for all to see!

3. DL6BCX

DL6BCX Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I am more interested in FreeDV than in SSB but here in Northern Germany i heard some very few stations. Hope the community will grow gradually.

4. M0JFE

M0JFE Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi as far as I know there is a net at 1600 GMT on 3.693 using DV700C mode from the UK and I do think that some Dutch stations are on near by. I have tried to find a place to download WINDRM from and wonder if it is still used also is there a free program to decode shortwave DRM broadcasts?

Thanks 73's DE M0JFE John