Digital Mode JS8 real time translation in foreign language!

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by NN2X, Dec 30, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: Left-2
  1. W9AC

W9AC Subscriber QRZ Page

Tom,

Ignore the noise -- as in the noise in this forum. It's interesting to note how those who pontificate about FT8/JS8 in these discussions (and eHam) are seemingly perturbed by your so-called "cheerleading." Where's the harm in posting your updates and voicing your opinion? From what I see, these same folks have contributed nothing to the hobby except to take, opine, and complain at every opportunity.

Cheer away.

Paul, W9AC

K3SZ likes this.
  2. M0KLG

M0KLG XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Now what would be groundbreaking, would be to type your message in your own language, and have it translated to the language of the DX entity you are sending to.
    Wouldn't have thought it will take some genius too long

K4AGO likes this.
  3. K3XR

K3XR Ham Member QRZ Page

Along the lines of " If you need to tell folks how great you are you're probably not that great". People can figure it out they don't need to be constantly told.

WU8Y and KA2LIM like this.
  4. K4SUE

K4SUE Ham Member QRZ Page

Take a look at your figures - it's NOT 2nd place

5. NN2X

NN2X Ham Member QRZ Page

K4SUE, I said that it goes up to 2nd place during the day..and now third place, but really doe it matter, this is new, and taking off.

Cheers

NN2X, Tom

6. NN2X

NN2X Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks for the support! There nearly 9,000 Ham down loaded this program (JS8), and I would like to have other enjoy the mode (JS8) as well

Thanks again!

Cheers
    NN2X, Tom

AA5CT likes this.
  7. AA5CT

AA5CT Ham Member QRZ Page

Even the "good movies" had press, otherwise, how do ppl find out? Look at all the 'advance press' radios get, here we have public notice of the 'advancement' taking place, not just 'advance press'!

8. K3FHP

K3FHP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Talk about DISRUPTIVE, during a contest FT8 infests almost all of the digital and cw band segments with HIGH power(much higher than needed) stations clawing over each other(unnecessarily in my opinion). That said, I like and use FT8, a true marvel of software engineering but like JS8 as well...even better for most situations(yes, yes, DXpeditions can run many more contacts per hour that way) where it alone has the extreme weak signal free text keyboard to keyboard AND a marvelous set of Directed Messaging options. I admit I am quite fond of FSQ mode but Jason picked this up and put it on steroids for JS8, the best thing I like about this mode. You can query another station for a S/N report without the operator's intervention and even send a message with automatic acknowledgement. Try it, you'll like it, as long as you can tolerate the relatively low data rate. If you can't, you can always go back to 75 meter SSB with your 3KW Loudenboomer Amp to wait out the next 5-6 years of Solar Minimum. As always, YMMV

K3FHP
    Dave

9. KC8EQF

KC8EQF Ham Member QRZ Page

How do I find out more info on this ? Can I use a QRP CW rig ? How is the computer hook up to the radio ? Is the messages sent in normal conversation language. This sounds like the future of amateur radio.

10. W7UUU

W7UUU Super Moderator Lifetime Member 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

It's just a USB "digital over audio" mode like JT65, JT9, PSK, AFSK, FT8, etc. etc. etc.

So you need a radio capable of doing USB, you need a sound card interface, and a computer with a very precisely coordinated clock (usually running an app like Dimension4 etc. to keep the clock uber-accurate). You can't use any of these modes with a CW-only rig, and the computer is not optional.

Just Google "JS8Call" or start with the precurser, "FT8" and start reading

Dave
    W7UUU

K3XR likes this.