ad: Alphaant-1

DigiRig Setup on G90 For FT8

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KG5AHJ, Jul 22, 2022.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
  1. KG5AHJ

KG5AHJ Ham Member QRZ Page

I setup and bench test the Digi Rig with my G90 QRP Radio for FT8. Then i use the 4State 10watt dump load to bench test the system.

Special %5 off with Promo Code "Tank" from GigaParts
    Parts Links:
    Digi Rig kits - https://www.gigaparts.com/nsearch/?lp=TANKRADIO

KB4MSG, PY2NEA, N4FZ and 9 others like this.
  2. DO1FER

DO1FER Ham Member QRZ Page

The DigiRig is a nice gadget. But everybody needs to check before buying, if its really useful in the own homeshack. At next the solution for the handhelds at the VHF / UHF frequencies is nice. But there should be no wonder to be awaited. Because handhelds got problems with bigger antennas to get into operation. And the small standard antennas, which are normally comes with the devices, cant provide the needed sensitivity for a point to point QSO without a repeater for a long distance. And to wait for the right conditions can force frustration.

KC5HWB likes this.
  3. K9CTB

K9CTB Ham Member QRZ Page

Nice Video, Frank!! I really enjoy your enthusiasm when you post a vid. I really like that DigiRig gizmo for its size and packability when you want to go into the field. I decided I wanted to do the same sort of thing with multiple capabilities (FT-8, PSK, Winlink, etc) built into my little Xiegu G-90 setup. When I began, I decided on the XGGComms Digimode-4 ... it is in the same price class as the DigiRig ... just a little larger box. I did try a setup using the Xiegu CT-19 first, but the wiring was a mess (my soldering skills made it worse) and it relied on my laptop sound card, so I scrapped it. I really like the Digimode-4, but I think if the DigiRig was available back then, it might have worked just as well.

KC5HWB, KC7ZXY and KG5AHJ like this.
  4. KG5AHJ

Awesome and thank you for feedback. I haven't heard of the Digimode-4 before now. I will have to look into it. I really like the size and probability of the DigiRig is and it work great in the field. only one wire to the computer, and I am loving it.

K0TX and K9CTB like this.
  5. WN1MB

WN1MB Ham Member QRZ Page

So much for attention to detail.

AE0Q and JF1IRQ like this.
  6. KF0FBK

KF0FBK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

The Digimode-4 works really great with the G90 and the vendor is very helpful if there are questions.

K9CTB and KG5AHJ like this.
  7. JF1IRQ

JF1IRQ Ham Member QRZ Page

Thank you for the useful information.
    73 JF1IRQ

KC5HWB likes this.
  8. KC7ZXY

KC7ZXY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Very glad you made this video. It helped me see how easy it could be to get the G90 onto the Digital Modes. I'd been meaning to try to get the G90 going digital and put together a small, portable FT8 and Winlink setup. You made the process look very straightforward and I was able to see all the pieces that I would need. Very cool! Thanks for taking the time to share your experience with this. 73!

KI5IQE and KG5AHJ like this.
  9. KG5AHJ

Thats awesome to here. I am looking forward to make contact with you soon on the air.

KC7ZXY likes this.
  10. K5KTM

K5KTM XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Being a fellow Texan, how is the G90 handling the heat up there in DFW while on FT-8? Im wanting to get mine up and running with a digirig on Ft-8 as well, but its been a touch toasty in Waco recently and even operating phone has gotten the case on my G90 pretty warm (although the G90 is showing no ill effects). I operate portable about 99% of the time just FYI so that outdoor ambient temp is pretty important to me.

KI5IQE likes this.
  11. KN6TSD

KN6TSD Ham Member QRZ Page

I appreciate the video! I used it to help me set up my new G90 and Digirig for digital modes on HF.

K0TX likes this.
  12. AE0Q

AE0Q Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes, first thing I noticed. Why watch the video.....

13. N5AQM

N5AQM Ham Member QRZ Page

One thing I would not like with the Digirig is that there is no adjustment pots for tx and rx like on a signallink. I use these all the time.
    -Mike

14. K0TX

K0TX Ham Member QRZ Page

Constant need of adjustments is not really a benefit.
    With Digirig, once you've set up the audio levels on the computer they're saved and work every time.
    There is no need for PTT delay adjustment - computer has explicit control of the timing and it just works.

KI5IQE and KG5AHJ like this.
  15. KI5IQE

KI5IQE Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I'm down in south central Texas and have added the G90 fan accessory to my radio. My G90 seems to have no heat up issues when operating out of doors. I simply carry a folded cardboard "sunguard" shade that i place above the radio to keep direct sunlight off the radio case itself.

K5KTM and KG5AHJ like this.