ad: ProAudio-1

Difficult Car Mounts

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KE0VH, Apr 29, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. KE0VH

KE0VH Ham Member QRZ Page

Finding a good location to mount a mobile rig in some smaller cars these days, or sometimes in older models can be nearly impossible.  While powering the rigs is not necessarily a problem, mounting them is.  I solved that problem in my Dodge Neon with this solution.  There literally is no room under the dash or on the “hump” to mount it without substantially damaging the interior of my practically brand new nice looking vehicle.  And, as I like to operate 10 meter mobile with my HTX 100, sitting in the seat doesn’t do well for tuning and being able to see the digital display on the radio.  The Neon has a rather sloping dash top and Velcro-ing the rig with sticky material to the dash was not appealing either.

With that said, here is a viable answer.  Take the mobile mounting bracket, turn it upside down, and put some vinyl or rubber feet in the corners of the bracket where it would meet the mounting surface, then put the mount on the radio upside down, and set the radio using the mounting bracket on the dash.  The rubber feet do not slide on the surface of the dash, even when stopping quickly.  And, you can hook the two rear feet in the dash air vent for further stability.  I mounted two more rubber feet on the rear corners of the radio, to further stabilize the radio depending on the angle that you turn the radio up in the mounting bracket.  And, to further increase the portability, and due to the low power of this radio, I do use the cigarette lighter for powering the radio, but a line out through the firewall to the battery would work well, especially for powering some of the more powerful small rigs out these days.

Jack KE0VH

2. W5ATX

W5ATX Guest

I have to say, that is a nice looking idea, but I'm not sure I'm comfortable with the security of the rig. In the event of a crash, you will probably be unhappy as the rig flies in every direction. And let's face it, safety is paramount.

There are pedestal mounts out there that are VERY attractive. I suspect something could even be made to work in the tight quarters of your Neon. I've always had smaller cars myself, and somehow I managed to keep a rig or three in each.

w9iix.com is a place worth looking into. At least you may find ideas come to mind after looking. I happen to have a cheaper version of what he sells, and I don't use it. I ended up not needing it. But it's here, and perhaps someone will dream up a use for it.

Good luck, be safe.

Chris

3. KB9TYC

KB9TYC XML Subscriber QRZ Page

In some states it is illegal to have items on the front or rear dash. In Wisconsin the fine is $126.00. You could get a good RAM mount for that price.

Paul KB9TYC

4. AA8EK

AA8EK Ham Member QRZ Page

Jack, you would probably be OK with that set up as long as you did not keep an ice cold Budweiser on the dash beside the radio. But seriously, I don't think that radio is going to last very long in a parking lot someplace. And if I had a more expensive rig than an HTX-100, I bet it would stay on the dash even a shorter period of time. There are thieves amoungst us, you know.    [​IMG] Keep trying, you will come up with something eventually.

5. W5SNA

W5SNA Ham Member QRZ Page

I have a 1994 Eagle Talon, and in the three plus months taht I've had it I have as yet not figured out a way to mount my 2m mobile in the car, as there is literally no room in the interior of the car for a radio.  They don't make sports cars with amateur radio in mind.  [​IMG]  If anybody has any bright ideas, post 'em!

6. N7VUR

N7VUR QRZ Member QRZ Page

I got lucky. My Kenwood TM-231A fits where the ashtray used to be. As a nonsmoker, it was just taking up space and in my blazer it has a nice 15 A power source very convenient. The scope showed this to be a very clean power source also (kind of hard to believe I know). I leave the mounting screws in on the side and a small bolt in the heat sink is used to secure the rear. This gives a clean in dash look while giving me the added security of being totally removable.

7. KD5RFH

KD5RFH Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi Jack,

Mounting stuff in vehicles is a real challenge :)

I have a 1998 Dodge Ram and recently installed a Kenwood D700A.

The idea was to fabricate a mounting bracket that attached to some existing braces under the seat to hold the main unit so that the connector panel was visible (for GPS, TNC and Mic). Next, I went to a car stereo place and found a cellular phone mount that attached between the dash bezel and the dashboard. I had the car stereo shop mount the control head, ran the power and...I'm happy, no holes in the interior.

Everthing is wonderfully accessible.

You could try fabricating a bracket for an underseat installation --might work.

I agree with some of the other readers, you don't want to have that radio unsecure in a collision.

Jim
    [​IMG]

8. K0UC

K0UC Ham Member QRZ Page

Jack...you are lucky you have a flat dash. I think your idea is a good simple solution.

I wish there was a place where folks could trade ideas on mobile installations. It's always a new challenge, since they keep changing the vehicles!

Sometimes a good idea to get started would be helpful.
    Just seeing some other ideas would be great.

Brady
    K0UC

9. K0KN

K0KN Ham Member QRZ Page

Hello, all!

I found a way to install my Icom ic-207h into my 1991 Saturn SL1.. After remote mounting the radio in the trunk, I modified the center console ashtray so that the head of the radio would fit. I did have to buy the cable from Icom to remote mount the head.. I made the microphone and external speaker cables..

When I want to use the radio, I lift the ashtray up a couple of inches, and it will sit at approx. 45 degrees. I can see the display perfectly, even in bright light. Power on/off is on the head unit, and volume, squelch, memory up, down, etc are all controllable by the microphone or head.

Mounting the head in the ashtray offers two major advantages: One, the anti-theft aspect, it's out of sight when not in use... Two, the radio and head are away from direct sunlight....

The microphone and external speaker sit in the center console, and can be removed easily if I park in a bad area. The ashtray can be put back into the original position and lid closed.

The only clue that I may have radio gear in my car is the NMO mount on the trunk lid, and callsign license plate..

I have no digital photos, but take my word for it, it can be done.. Now if I can find a way to mount the head of my ic-706mk2g! hi hi

Kyle Yoksh, K0KN

10. VE6VPD

VE6VPD Ham Member QRZ Page

I own a Geo Tracker.  I needed to mount not only my Yaesu VX5R into it but a CB as well for off-roading use.  This would be in addition to my GPS mounting bracket and my cellphone's handsfree/booster kit.

Let's take an inventory of the lack of space shall we:
    -Not ON the dash, unsafe for offroading -due to it's length, will protrude beyond the threshold of the dash and into the passenger area
    -not UNDER the dash, bump knees
    -not on the CEILING as you'll hit your head when offroading
    -not on the side of the tranny hump as that's where the cellphone kit already is

My only option for the CB was in the ashtray slot.  I purchased a rig small enough (RadioShack is good for a few things...) and removed the ashtray.  I modified the bracket for the CB and mounted it inside.  As the radio is black, like my dash, when I remove the mic it's about invisible even to the odd passenger.  The mount lands up recessing it in about 3/4" into the dash.  The only thing that got buried under/inside the dash was the speaker and I worked around this by putting a 2.5" speaker inside one of the vents at the top centre of the console and running wiring back to the radio.  It is a stealth mounted speaker to be sure.

For the VX5R, I used an adjustable bracket from a cellphone kit, more like a hinge really (an extra leftover from a Motorola handsfree kit, ask any cellular installer... this one's plastic).  This was screwed directly to the top centre of the dash.  To this hingebracket I screwed in a conventional mobile mic bracket -the kind you'd hang your mic on.  On the back of the VX5R, I have mounted a Nokia Belt Clip button in place of the belt clip.  This button hangs very neatly into the mic holder.  Voila!  My HT is top centre and easily accessible.

11. KE4PJW

KE4PJW Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (KC8PPO @ April 28 2002,20:19)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I have a 1994 Eagle Talon, and in the three plus months taht I've had it I have as yet not figured out a way to mount my 2m mobile in the car, as there is literally no room in the interior of the car for a radio. They don't make sports cars with amateur radio in mind. [​IMG] If anybody has any bright ideas, post 'em![/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Here is the setup I had in my Geo Metro and now in my Jeep. I have a Kenwood TM-733 with the remote mount kit. I mounted the remote head using double side tape to the upper left hand part of the windshield. It provides me sort of a heads-up display. I can control the radio without taking my eyes off the road.

I have had concerns that if I were in an accident it _might_ hurt me, but as long as I have my seat belt on it should not be a problem.

I stole this idea from KC4WPS. I thought it was a great idea.

12. KE0VH

KE0VH Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes, safety is always an issue, and as far as parking lots go, I either have a reflective winshield screen that I put up to keep the car interior cooler, which hides the radio nicely, or with the "mounting" the way it is, I simply set the radio on the floorboard if in parking lot for hours. Works well, and too, when the band is dead, I can too put the radio away in the trunk until I decide to use it again. Certainly not a "permanent" solution, but portable, and with the HTX 100, without a control face, the whole radio obviously must move. The Cushcraft mobile mag mount and this radio though have worked everywhere from Spain and Europe to a lot of South American stations, so the setup works well. Gotta always be safety and security conscious though.

73' de KE0VH

13. N2ZPY

N2ZPY Ham Member QRZ Page

There are always solutions to be found. I drive a '95 Toyota pickup (regular cab) and have a very nice and clean looking install of my IC-706 MkIIG. This vehicle and many of the newer ones come with what is called a double din stereo mount. I installed my in dash CD player and had the empty space left below it. I simply made a metal filler plate and mouted the head of the 706 to that. The main body of the radio is secured to the back of the cab behind the seat. The display is easy to read in that location and the controls are right at your fingertips!

N2ZPY
    Kevin

14. N2ZPY

N2ZPY Ham Member QRZ Page

Here is the other closeup of the install and the url for my page Kevin's Truck

15. N4ABA

N4ABA Ham Member QRZ Page

I understand your pain! I have a company car (Grand Prix), which precludes making any major changes to the vehicle. I looked into several possible locations but decided on the center console, as the GM car's "box" just slides out, leaving lots of space for radios. A lip mount works to hold the 6/2/440 Comet, while the radios hide in the center console armrest, not visible from outside. As the Alinco DR570 has a bright display, no problem on reading it when necessary, but the DX70T was a problem. Solved it by mounting the head under the ashtray and leaving the body inside the armrest. Mikes are close, the 2/440 rig is programmed in such a way that I rarely have to glance at the display. Don't know about other vehicles; my previous company car was a Taurus, it was a pain!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.