ad: ProAudio-1

Did Elmer Die?

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by Guest, Mar 23, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
  1. Guest

Guest Guest

KD7LZR writes...

"When I first became a Ham at the age of 14 (WN4TUT), I was introduced into a whole new world and a new set of friends. I may have drifted at times away from the hobby but I still have memories of adults I never knew before taking the time to help me grow in the hobby and who felt compelled to be my Elmers. Many helped, as I was young and not working, to assist me in getting my first pieces of equipment and antennas.

I have been out of the hobby for 10 years and the previous 10 years I was fairly inactive so it is only when my 11 year old son Tyler wanted to become a Ham that I got excited and went back out and got my General. Since the time I had my license, about a month now, Tyler has been using my callsign and talking to lots of people. I have been humbled as I watched and listened to the support given to him by so many Elmers here in the Seattle Metro area. They inspired Tyler to study for his test, which he passed on the 10th of March, and on the 21st of March he was rewarded with his callsign (KD7MJO). They continue to encourage him every day.

Now you may be thinking that this is just a proud father who is writing about his son but it is not. This is a proud father who is proud to be a part of group of people who call themselves Hams. The hobby has changed alot over the 30 years since I was a Novice but one thing has not changed; the generosity and encouragement so many have given to those young Hams like Tyler to insure that their love of the hobby grows.

This is a tribute to those that have taken the time to talk to Tyler on 2 meters and 6 meters and in person. It is a tribute to those that have taken a special interests in Tylers enjoyment in the hobby by giving Tyler an antenna that was not being used, making phone calls to manufacturers so Tylers 6 meter rig he bought with his own money could be fixed a little bit faster than normal, to those who have driven by the house on their way home to wave at Tyler as he talks to them. It is a tribute to the Ham who sold Tyler his first rig, gave him a great deal, and then when he found out that it was broken (the dial froze up one day later), offered to pay for the repair. It is a tribute to those who asked to be his first QSO, to those who gave him his first QSL cards, and to all who talk to an 11 year old who sometimes gets tongue tied on the radio or runs out of things to say yet desperately wants to talk to his new friends. It is a tribute to those who have given him advice and inspiration and continued encouragement. It is a tribute to the VE's who encouraged Tyler and helped him to relax during the test.

It is because of Hams like you that I now want so very much to bring more young Hams into this hobby and give to some new Ham what you have given my son. I thank you for showing me that only the technology has changed but the heart and spirit of Ham Radio has never changed. Though my tribute is directly aimed at Tylers Elmers, it is also to all Elmers who take the time and effort to lend a hand to all of those new hams and especially the young ones. Thank you all for your unselfish acts of kindness. Is Elmer dead? Nope. Elmer is the heartbeat of Ham Radio and, in my opinion, Elmer is very healthy indeed."

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.