ad: elecraft

Critical Incident Stress Help for Amateurs

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by Guest, Sep 14, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-2
  1. Guest

Guest Guest

Rob Carr, N3RTR writes "Tragedies, deaths, serious injuries, hostage situations, threatening situations - these events are known as "Critical Incidents." People who respond to emergencies encounter highly stressful events almost every day. Sometimes an event is so traumatic or overwhelming that emergency responders may experience significant stress reactions.

The Critical Incident Stress Management (CISM) process is specifically designed to prevent or mitigate the development of post-traumatic stress among emergency service workers.

If you are an Amateur Radio Operator at a disaster scene, you may be called upon to help an emergency worker get access to such services. You may be called upon to provide communication services for the CISM team on scene. Or you may find that you yourself need such help.

Please realize that someone needing help to deal with the emotional side of the disaster is not unusual or alone. Critical Incident Stress is a normal reaction by a normal human being to something that is far from normal. It's a normal reaction, but it is possible to reduce it's effects on the emergency service worker so affected.

For an amateur radio operator in need of assistance, there can be some complications. Due to the nature of amateur radio, an operator affected by an incident may not be anywhere near the incident. The web site of the International Critical Incident Stress Foundation has a list of teams to help you contact the one in your area if needed.

If this is the case, explain to the team called that amateur radio operators may be directly involved with an emergency response yet not be physically near the event. The CISM team will provide information on how to receive assistance.

On a personal note, I saw amateur radio operators at the Somerset, PA incident yesterday, both at the EOC and at the staging area and elsewhere. I heard others on the air from their homes assisting with the incident. My heartfelt thanks and admiration for their assistance in this time of crisis.

I am sure the amateur radio operators for the New York and Washington incidents performed their jobs just as admirably, and I am sure more of us will be called on in the days to come. To them, I also express my gratitude.

Rob Carr, N3RTR, BA EMT-P

Paramedic Peer Debriefer,

Amateur Radio Peer Debriefer,

Pittsburgh CISM Team"

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.