ad: Mountaingoat-1

CQ WPX This Weekend

Discussion in 'Contests, DXpeditions, QSO Parties, Special Events' started by WI5FI, Mar 21, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: abrind-2
  1. WI5FI

WI5FI Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I am participating in my first WPX SSB contest this weekend and I noticed while looking at last year's results that there are many more Single -Op Low Power Non-assisted participants than Assisted. I was curious why that is?

Thanks,
    Mike, WI5FI

KG7IRJ and YF9DSW like this.
  2. KF5WVJ

KF5WVJ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Assisted usually means the use of DX spotting ie..DX Summit or some other Spotting program to locate stations without calling CQ or hunting up and down the bands.Another form of assistance is having someone log for you and look up callsigns. Typically the reason for less entrants in the assisted category is that in most contest you are scored in with high power stations or penalized in some form or another, because having assistance gives you an advantage over non assisted stations. Or at least that is my take on it in contest that I have been in, in the past...
    Hope that helps "73"
    Rick, KF5WVJ

3. KF5WVJ

KF5WVJ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Also if you have been licensed less than 3 years you can enter the Rookie category.

Ricky, KF5WVJ

4. WI5FI

WI5FI Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Thank you very much. Yes I am entering as Low Power Un-assisted and Rookie overlay category.