ad: CQMM-1

CQ Magazine Calls on FCC to Resume Amateur Enforcement

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by AA7BQ, Nov 19, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. W6ONV

W6ONV Ham Member QRZ Page

Wow lots to chew on in 11 pages of responses, but worth the read...for the most part. I am frustrated by the fact that the topic of FCC enforcement turns to a battle of code versus no-code with some "chicken band" tossed in. Why? We are a single, united (hopefully) group of amateurs in an amazing hobby. But when some of these comments come down from operators it really gives the hobby a black eye.

Since I was licensed in 1995, I have not really heard some of the problems that have been cited by the QRZ membership. Maybe I should consider myself lucky. Like any hobby, there is always a small minority that want to take advantage of the situation and ruin the fun and enjoyment for the majority. I don't have any answers, but have read some worthwhile comments from other hams that could potentially be implemented. Hopefully the amateur community as a whole stays united and the FCC does continue with oversight and enforcement of our bands and hobby.

2. W2ZB

W2ZB Guest

Further deregulation is just around the corner.

3. W4CBJ

W4CBJ Ham Member QRZ Page

CQ Magazine calls on FCC 6o resume A,ateur Enforcement

It seems to me that there is already a plan and organization to combat this matter. It is the ARRL Amateur Auxiliary. There are Official Observers (OO)Official Observer Coordinators (OOC) and the ARRL Heaquarters staff. They have training manuals and are explicit. Very well written and detailed on what the member(s) may or may not do. When an An OO compiles the necessary information. it is reviewed by the OOC and transmitted to Headquarters for determination and transmitted to the FCC for enforcement. None of the ARRL staff or members are permitted to engage in enforcement. It is strictly up to the FCC to take action. The reason most often given for inaction is lack of manpower or funds to do the job. Once the offerder is absolutely, positively identified...there needs to be a way of finishing the job. If you have any suggestions...I would like to hear them. You may think of something that I haven't. 73 Joe W4CBJ

4. AB8RU

AB8RU Ham Member QRZ Page

If they get their jollies & recognition

try this.....

just ignore them !

they are just looking for attention.

5. W4KVW

W4KVW Ham Member QRZ Page

ENFORCEMENT.HAHA

As I said in another post that appears to have been removed.The FCC is NOT interested in ENFORCEMENT since there is NO MONEY being provided by the FEDS & there will NOT be any in the future.Go into ANY truck stop across AMERICA or search the web & you'll find PLENTY of ILLEGAL CB Radios & illegal amplifiers for sale right here in the USA.If you & I can find them that EASY I'm SURE the FCC could do so as well BUT they are NOT INTERESTED unless it would result in a LARGE fine that would benefit them & NOT the Ham Radio Community.We here in North Florida & South Georgia have had hunting clubs using the 2 meter band now for MANY years.A team of OOs came here several years ago & recorded SEVERAL days of recordings of these hunters along with vehicle descriptions,tag numbers,hunting land locations & 2 meter frequences they were using & NOTHING became of it after this information was handed over to the FCC.The local CB shops here in North Florida ALL sell ICOM 2200H mobile rigs & install them for the hunting club members along with the antennas.I have began JAMMING their signals when I here them by sending continuious CW until they stop talking.With the CONTINUED MISUSE & LACK of use of some bands it's just a matter of time before the spectrum space will be SOLD to the HIGHEST BIDDERS.MONEY is the ISSUE & the GOVERMENT can make BIG MONEY from the SELLING of ALL or MOST of the RADIO SPECTRUM currently assigned to the ham radio community.So be VERY CAREFUL what you WISH FOR since it may result in the TOTAL LOSS of ALL of the ham radio bands!That would pretty much takes care of the enforcement issues & continued complaints & it puts BIG MONEY in the FEDS POCKETS!

Clayton
    W4KVW

6. KA5S

KA5S Ham Member QRZ Page

Congressman Billy Tauzin, chairman of the House Telecommunications Committee, is said to have threatened -- he was not alone* -- to abolish the FCC. Regulations were the reason; it was enforcing them.

Source, paper: The Federal Computer Commission, Kevin D. Werbach, at
    The Social Science Research Network

If you don't like the law, buy the cops.

If you can't buy the cops, buy the judges.
    If you can't buy the judges, buy the legislators.
    If you can't buy the legislators, buy the governor.
    If you can't buy the governor, buy the cops...

Cortland
    KA5S

7. W2ZB

W2ZB Guest

There is so much more to life than ham radio.

When one comes to realize this, ham radio issues become either trivial or nonexistent.

8. KI4ITV

KI4ITV Ham Member QRZ Page

This is exactly how I feel about it.
    I don't have to like it and don't have to participate in it.
    We know where they are and it's really easy just to spin right past the bumps in the band.

9. W2ZB

W2ZB Guest

Fines levied by the commisstion go into a U.S. Treasury general fund. The commission receives its operating funds in the form of an annual appropriation from Congress.

Your frustration is understandable. However, your jamming is illegal also, not that anything will come of it.

Many of those hunter's are using radio equipment loaned or given to them by licensed ham radio operators who are members of the hunting clubs. Happens all the time. Sure, they're putting their ticket on the line but, again, don't expect anything to come of it.

As a suggestion, rather than let the antics of these hunters control you to the point you are jamming them, call up your pastor and ask him if he has a job you can do? I do it all the time. Pastors seem to always have something they need you to do, humble as it may be.

10. KE7MBL

KE7MBL QRZ Member QRZ Page

Enforcement

Enforcement should left up to the FCC and to the individual
    to keep the bands clean. They don't do that on the 11 meter band and believe me it should be done there first and the Ham bands next. KE7MBL:(

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.