ad: k1jek

CP1BH - Rolando de Avila - Silent Key 5/13/09

Discussion in 'Silent Keys / Friends Remembered' started by W2NU, Feb 20, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
  1. W2NU

W2NU Ham Member QRZ Page

I am here to post on in the Ham community (as a new ham myself) to share the passing of my Dad (in May 2009). Dad was real Ham and had the hobby in his bones, worked the hobby into a profession and carried it into our family life. He would regularly communicate with his family in Bolivia.

As his youngest daughter, I have always been a geek and inquisitive like he was. Interested in tearing stuff apart and putting it back together again. Although I tried to learn Morse Code as a 10 year old to become a Novice, I could never discipline myself long enough to take the time to do it. Now that Dad is gone, I decided there was no better time to really embrace the hobby and carry on the tradition in our family. I wanted to discover for myself what he loved so much about this hobby. Now I know. :eek:

I've created a short slideshow that highlights some of CP1BH's shack equipment ... he was a lover of all things Collins and knew Collins equipment inside and out. He loved all vintage equipment and he was involved with so many various lines in his store. The two that stand out in my mind are Collins and Drake. Going to Hamfests in the Washington DC area as a kid was a thing I remember with fond memories.

Dad ran an electronics store in Wheaton, MD. called EISCO (Electronics International Service Corp) until the mid-80's when the family relocated to Upstate, NY. He annually attended the Dayton Hamvention with his Eisco booth. Now I understand the Hooplah about Dayton and hope to go soon myself!

I love carrying on the Ham tradition and have truly been bitten by the bug. Thanks Dad -- for all you did and all you continue to do. I'm having a blast and hope you are too.

If any on QRZ knew Dad, please feel free to get in touch with me - W2CBH. I'd love to meet you on the air sometime. HF is in the wings, just waiting for my antenna :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WNULAs_bFaQ

Diana de Avila, W2CBH

Last edited: Feb 20, 2011
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.