ad: LZQSLprint-1

Could a new licence counter threats at VHF and above?

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by G4TUT/SK2022, Jun 17, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. G1XXV

G1XXV Ham Member QRZ Page

2 meters. Use it, or lose it, I wrote in a letter to a Magazine when they allowed Novices Licence holders on HF years ago.

2. N7KO

N7KO Ham Member QRZ Page

Is the band conditions we been having maybe having the most effect why you do not here any one on 6m.?

3. N7KO

N7KO Ham Member QRZ Page

Sounds like CB! . I hope it will not turn into that. Got to be some people out there that will put some effort into learning and achieving a license.

4. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

No.

I show up on the reverse beacon network down to Florida, and West of the Mississippi.

It has to do with an absence of CW and FONE activity and an obsession with FT8.

Chip W1YW

Last edited: Jul 4, 2019
    KA2FIR and N7KO like this.
  5. N7KO

N7KO Ham Member QRZ Page

I am glad you said this, I noticed during field day the bands were on fire in the CW portion anyway, .............(I do not do phone any more). but after field day they died down to a flicker, don't get me wrong I am still making contacts but like you said we have an absence of ops.

We need more ops that just send code by hand, that enjoy just CW for what it is, and not only transmit during contests, but transmit on a daily bases for the fun of it . I am going to inquire with the SKCC club and see about adding a (On the Bands calendar), so we can post where we will be haunting on any particular day or night.

They may already have such a listing?.

I don't get FT 8, I gave it a try when my Cousin asked me to contact him on Wake Island. They call this a contact?. I never enjoyed watching paint dry. 73,

If we don't use it we may loose it.

6. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

FT8 is fine. What is not fine is that 95+% of 6M QSO's are now ONLY FT8. That means there are MEGAHERTZ of precious spectrum we've given up :-(

I am very discouraged by my daily CW CQ's on 6m this season-- with no answers.That didn't happen before Summer 2017.

Hope to work u on CW and happy 4th!

Chip W1YW

KA2FIR and N7KO like this.
  7. K4RSV

K4RSV Ham Member QRZ Page

VHF, UHF, AND MICROWAVE ARE NOT LINE OF SIGHT. We here in FL are working hard to create activity to preserve these frequencies and expel the line-of-sight myth. I do 100 mi.+ on 10 GHz most any day. You have to be on the microwaves to have more than an opinion. Our young high technology users with low technology interest are a good part of the problem. EZ is the mindset of the new generation. HHs & repeaters is all they know. It takes a self starter to dive into microwaves and learn more than the pittance amount of technical requirements in getting a license. When the last Craftsman dies, so goes the ART. All we see is us old guys with some spark left while the young never see adventure beyond moving two fingers over a plastic screen. Knowledge is still a learning skill; not a Google look-up regurgitation. The future beyond earth is microwave, so put your head there and you might start to see that forest goes well beyond the first line of trees.

8. N7KO

N7KO Ham Member QRZ Page

I look forward to it N7KO 73,

9. WA7F

WA7F Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Actually my iPad has a very high quality glass screen. Not sure what the Korean brand uses.

I am interested in learning more about VHF, UHF and higher frequencies for weak signal, satellite and EME. I have kind of given up on the idea of terrestrial weak signal. My line of sight is seriously deprived in most directions. Maybe I’ll put up that 2m 5wl yagi on top of the mast after all.

So with the right mix of Elmers in the crowd, I have a couple of question:
    - how much power you run on 1.2 GHz?
    - how much do you typically spend on an amplifier?

10. K4WHH

K4WHH Ham Member QRZ Page

In our tri-county region, we have vhf/uhf fm repeaters galore that for the most part are marginally utilized (understandable during the week when people are working but not much different on the weekends). Living in Florida, 30-40 mile communications range is not unusual given our very flat topography. We are a great state for amateur radio!

While I would not like to see the 2m band taken away from us, I do understand the rationale for the desire to monetize or reallocate the band in some way. A narrower 2m amateur radio band plan may be a rational compromise. I would rather have something than nothing....

11. KD0QG

KD0QG XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Here is what I am noticing. there is getting to where shortly there will be as many Extra as Generals? There once weren't a large number of Extras and it took time to get that proficient and it was a real accomplishment. I had just as much trouble and time in to getting proficient with code to upgrade as anyone. I find the accomplish is upgrading now more than getting proficient . I have a son who has been a general for about a year and i sent him a rig but he hasn't been of HF yet but the group he is with is studding for their Extra exam and some of them haven't been on the air with HF yet also. So what I have noticed of those on the air is that there are still about the same number of those who want to get on the air as there have always been code or no code. So i am seeing the same push as the late 70's of trying to get more in but the results are still about the same and the result now will probably a large number of inactive licenses in the future. Easy come.. Easy go..

12. W7UUU

W7UUU Director, QRZ Forums Lifetime Member 133 QRZ HQ Staff Life Member QRZ Page

LARGE batch of nasty posts deleted...

One more nasty post and it’s done

Is it a full moon??

Dave
    W7UUU

KD0QG likes this.