ad: ProAudio-1

Could a new licence counter threats at VHF and above?

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by G4TUT/SK2022, Jun 17, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
  1. WQ4G

WQ4G Ham Member QRZ Page

I scan 136-174 Mhz quite frequently. There is less usage above and below the 2-meter ham band than there is IN the band. So, I don't quite understand the need for additional band space. There is a ton of space available in the VHF spectrum other than the ham bands. Why is it not being used? The only thing I have ever heard between 136 Mhz and 174 Mhz (besides hams) is the Hernando County School bus depot. No business band, no military, no government, no nothing except dead air. This is the band space that should be reallocated - not the ham bands.

Dan KI4AX

W0PV and W1YW like this.
  2. NU4R

NU4R XML Subscriber QRZ Page

BINGO!

Good call Karl!
    73 my friend!
    Greg

3. SM0AOM

SM0AOM Ham Member QRZ Page

I very much doubt that there exist any contractual relations between the FCC and radio amateurs in the USA.

On the other hand, I know for sure that there are no such relations in the deregulated telecoms markets in Europe.

Some ten years ago, the regulator in Sweden decided to re-assign previously licenced spectrum for SCADA and other datalinks used for municipal utilities such as water-works and electrical distribution to non-licenced, forcing the utilities to buy new equipment and redesign their networks. This cost the utilities tens of millions, and was fought in the courts by the Association of Municipalities to no avail. The motive of "long-term spectrum efficiency" was considered to weigh heavier than increased costs for the end-user.

If radio amateurs, that are regarded as "non-paying guests", should become deprived of spectrum by Government actions, there will be very little that can be done about it.

A major problem that I encounter both "on the air" and when reading the forums is that the average radio amateur is clueless about the general principles of contemporary spectrum management, and how deregulation is affecting it.

Many believe that the amateur radio bands are granted by some "Divine Right" and cannot be used for any other purpose. The harsh truth is that if and when the regulators find more profitable uses for the amateur radio bands, they will become re-allocated.

It is in this perspective I see the desperate attempts to attract more radio amateurs by lowering the standards as utterly futile.

73/
    Karl-Arne
    SM0AOM

G3ZPF likes this.
  4. W5LZ

W5LZ Ham Member QRZ Page

From what I've seen over a lot of years, 99% of those wanting a new class license are unwilling to put in the work required to get the 'required' license(s). Or, the license has been for a 'specialized' purpose. I see no benefit in change just for the sake of change. Show me a good reason for that change and I might go along with it. Otherwise...
    I can only speak about things in this country. What happens in other countries is the responsibility of the people of those countries. I very much doubt if France (or Italy, or where ever) give a 'fart' in a high wind about what I think. So, I'll fix the popcorn...

K5HS likes this.
  5. W4HM

W4HM XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Railroad companies use the 160.100-161.565 mHz spectrum. It's very busy spectrum around the country. Here in Florida we have CSX and some smaller regional carriers. For me it's very entertaining.

KE4ITL likes this.
  6. WA3YRE

WA3YRE Ham Member QRZ Page

It has been my experience that while the Technician license test these days is so simple folks can cram for it in one day or less that VHF/UHF activity actually gone down. I live in New York City and can almost never raise anyone on a local repeater.

Additionally I travel often to a particular spot in the mountains. I have made the same trip monthly for 30 years and I used to be able to have constant conversations from NYC for the entire 300+ miles on a 12 channel Drake TR-22C with only 11 channels crystaled at a mighty 2.5 watts (I upgraded the final). Today with a 3 band 5 watt radio I can not raise anyone.

One thing I see as a problem these days is the use of PL on rural repeaters. It used to be if I scanned the band and found a machine no problem getting in. Now if I discover a repeater while scanning I have to then fiddle with trying to figure out the PL, an unsafe thing to do while behind the wheel. Before anyone says program the repeaters before your trip and you are set......some of us travel such distances that we would have to reprogram our radios every hour or two.

I think mentoring is the answer. Grab a kid and show them the wonder of ham radio while they are young. I was exposed at the age of 12 by Basil K6SCY and I am thankful every day that this generous kind man was a science teacher at my middle school.

WN1MB likes this.
  7. N7KO

N7KO Ham Member QRZ Page

More and more of us are starting to make CW contacts on 6m , the Magic band, summer time is here in the U.S. . The word is getting out.

WN1MB likes this.
  8. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

In Europe there is dwindling use of 2m. Not the same situation in the US.

9. WB6FQZ

WB6FQZ Ham Member QRZ Page

You're right about this Chip......but you knew that..........FQZ

W1YW likes this.
  10. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

It would be great if people didn't just stick to 50.313 for FT8.... I often hang around 50.091 on CW, calling CQ.

KB2HSH and N7KO like this.
  11. KQ2P

KQ2P Ham Member QRZ Page

LET'S JUST MAKE EVERYTHING FREE. JUST GIVE IT AWAY !!

N7KO likes this.
  12. SV1RUX

SV1RUX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Use it ..... or lose it! It's that simple.

N7KO likes this.
  13. GABLOS

GABLOS QRZ Member

There should be one test for one license class giving privileges to entire ham bands. Make amateur radio more inclusive.

14. K6MFW

K6MFW Ham Member QRZ Page

I don't think need to be concerned losing the 2-meter band, besides anyone under 50 doesn't know about freq below 500 MHz! As many wrote already, commercial users are interested in much higher frequencies. A band that is more vulnerable is the 440 band as hams have a pretty good size of spectrum. But then commercial users probably not much interest in it, public safety focusing on 700 MHz trunking, businesses focus on phones, wireless systems 5GHz and above, etc.

There ***lots*** of people that get their ham license because it is easy by way of books, practice exams, and VE sessions frequently held at many places. And for entry level gear purchase is very low cost (Baofeng radios). The problem is once they get their license and radio, then what? Most repeaters have zero traffic.

Somehow need to get new hams into an activity, there is Field Day but that is once a year. Many clubs have various activities so maybe put work into roping new hams into these, i.e. Parachute Mobile. I would not spend any effort on making it easier to get a license.

15. W2CSI

W2CSI Ham Member QRZ Page

I would suggest giving the New class some of the 80 meter band. It would be FUN to try to work some of them from the US.