ad: Radclub22-1

Contests where no RS(T) exchanged - logged? New to this

Discussion in 'Contests, DXpeditions, QSO Parties, Special Events' started by W0JKT, Jan 22, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
  1. W0JKT

W0JKT Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Well, 57 yrs a ham but off air for 40 years..

I note some contests like QCWA in March do not use RS exchange (I only do SSB so no T). So with these new logs vs the old manual way can you even enter in log. Use both LOTW and N3FJP, I thought had to have a signal RS exchange to be a contact to log? Or is everyone 59 :(

Thanks

YC2TFB likes this.
  2. WG7X

WG7X Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Some contests don't require a signal report, most notably ARRL Sweepstakes and NAQP. Then there's the one you mentioned. I'm sure that there are others. Requirements vary and it is not totally necessary to have the signal report to have a "valid" contact. Most contest logging programs only record the data necessary for the contact. If it bothers you, then by all means insert a signal report into your records. The default is 5x9 anyway for most contests.

3. N2EY

N2EY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

There is an urban myth that a Q isn't a Q unless signal reports are exchanged.

SOME contests include signal report as part of the exchange, and for those particular contests, it's needed.

But many contests do not include a signal report, and it should not be included because all it does is waste time and confuse the other operator.

For example, none of the following contests include signal report:

ARRL SS
    ARRL Field Day
    NAQP
    CWops CWT
    CWops CWOpen

that's just from memory.

LOTW doesn't need a report. N3FJP and N1MM only include fields for the required exchange.

4. KG5THG

KG5THG Ham Member QRZ Page

The arrl and cq vhf contests are grid exchanges only. If you are getting into contesting, what ever you do, don't send a 73 in an rtty contest! They know where you live and will hunt you down!

5. W0JKT

W0JKT Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Thanks for all the clear answers